Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New BMW X6 Spy shots (Official pics - pg.2)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-07, 01:32 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

tailights and front look pretty good, but the overall shape of the car doesnt sit well with me
Old 09-11-07, 01:34 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

X6 coupe?

yes, with 2 doors, that is.

x6 2 door coupe, dropped on 22's.

still fugly.
Attached Thumbnails New BMW X6 Spy shots (Official pics - pg.2)-20-bmw-concept-x6.jpg  
Old 09-11-07, 01:36 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Germans are crowding the marketplace with what seems to me like needless models, while the Japanese seem far more strategic about redesigns and new model launches. I guess these moves even seem to mimic their business philosophies of excess(Europe) vs. efficiency(Japan).

Audi will bring an A1 and Q5, perhaps also a crossover/coupe/SAV like the X6 called the Q4. Also rumored is an A7 coupe/sedan to compete with the CLS. A5 and R8 are both new and seem to be very successful, and a new A4 is around the corner.

Meanwhile Mercedes has watched it's R class fail miserably and prepares new A and B Classes, and a GLK SUV when the ML itself is already about the size of a CR-V. Not to mention a rumored new sports car and the production version of the Ocean Drive concept.

Lastly BMW is planning to litter the maketplace with it's 1series, is mocking up a 3 series wagon with two extra inches of ground clearance to slate somewhere between the X3 and wagon itself supposively "F3", and this new X6. Not to be forgotten are a coupe/sedan of it's own to compete against the CLS, and rumors of a larger, more wagonesque SAV to complement the X5 and 5 series, likely to also be called "F5". Oh, and a V8 roadster to compete with the SL.

Considering all of this, I am just left shaking my head. The only one that remotely makes sense to me is Audi because they are able to share costs with VW and Porsche across the line which will make it easier for them to turn a profit than the other Germans who ironically, have been crying, "Woe is me" about development costs that are too high and falling profit margins.

Really? Is all of this necessary? Maybe those of you who are German car fans can shed some light on this more than I can, but I don't understand what is happening here. In house competition must be a thing of the past looking at these plans. Looking at BMW alone, there is the 3 series wagon, the X3, the rumored F3, and now the X6 which looks to be similar in interior size and space to 3 series models. Though the X6 is also close in size, power, and features to the X5 which itself is based off the 5 series, as is the 5 series wagon. Oh and we cannot forget the rumored F5.

WHERE IS THE BUSINESS STRATEGY HERE?

Not saying that I don't like or agree with any of these products, but the concept of a sleek roofline on a vehicle with more than two doors has driven the automotive industry buck-wild.

The Japanese companies which are long revered as the most profitable and most strategic tend stray away from these "niches" because they can see that they are essentially "fad" vehicles. Does everyone understand that fads go away? Evidently not.

Moreover, I could possibly understand the idea if it was going to generate a great amount of revenue, but how many X6's, Q4's, A7's, and Ocean Drives are we going to sell per year? If your financial situation is in jeopardy, why aren't you focusing on volume models to grow your brand with low development costs and higher profit margins?

Old 09-11-07, 01:50 PM
LexFather

^^
Also looking at sales, the FX has been a flop. The month after its refresh with upgraded interior, sales continued to drop. THe RDX has missed sales goals as well. The X3 is doing okay, while the larger X5 BLEW AWAY all sales goals, a huge hit.

I am going to assume since the X5 has gotten larger, they built this to really extend on the previous X5 and what it was about.

Clearly SUVs and cross-overs are huge profit makers, so I can understand that business case for it.

However I still don't get or understand a car on high-heels that attempts to be sporty when you any SANE person should get a proper WAGON that will be a better handler and offer more cargo room.

I guess image is everything

Old 09-11-07, 02:07 PM
LOL!
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MPLexus301 great post. I can definitely understand what you are saying.

OTOH I actually like it it's definitely different imo, but I was kind of expecting something a lot worst lol. It also looks as if the engine will be great. Kudos to BMW.

Last edited by LOL!; 09-11-07 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-12-07, 12:02 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

The released pictures look much better, I actually like it now.
Old 09-12-07, 10:48 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I like it, but then again I like the fx - which was a sales nightmare.
Old 02-09-11, 09:24 PM
LexFather

BMW is offering a new set of options for the X5 and X6 models, including a conversion to a 5-seater for the X6 SUV coupe.

By removing the center console on the four-seat X6, an extra rear seat is added large enough to comfortably fit an adult, as BMW demonstrates in the photos published here.

The extra seat option is available for all X6 variants, including the X6 M, except for the X6 ActiveHybrid.

Also new for the X5 and X6 models are 20-inch alloy wheels in a Y-spoke design and a black gloss finish fitted with 275/40R20 tires at the front and 315/35R20s for the rear.

BMW will also be fitting Comfort Access to the X5 and X6 starting in the spring, a feature which provides lighting for the exterior door handles as part of the car key access system.

The brand is also promising shift paddles on the steering wheel for the future X5 and X6 and extending the services of BMW ConnectDrive for the X5 and X6 range to include BMW Apps - a feature which allows connectivity via an iPhone to Apple's iTunes, Facebook and Twitter as well as accessing web radio from inside the car.

Read more: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11102093...#ixzz1DWxBCflW

Old 02-09-11, 09:27 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL when I read the title I was like WHAT? lol

Very common car here.
Old 02-09-11, 10:03 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Wow! BMW sure works quickly.

It was just this morning that I filled out my corporate survey regarding my X5 and told them that I expect Comfort Access to be an included feature....only took them about 12 hours to make it happen.

I am curious as to whether all of these new features are coming to NA.

The X6 already has paddles, but I've always wondered why the X5 did without? Even the ML has paddles.
Old 02-10-11, 12:34 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

]
Wow look how cramped it is back there. The front seats had to be moved all the way up just so they can have a decent leg room. Why don't they just remove that stupid padding on the fron seat backs and instantly gain 6-8 inches of leg room is beyond me.
Old 02-10-11, 12:56 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand the point or purpose of the X6. It's as though it tries to be some sort of "hybrid" among various car concepts and ends up failing in all aspects.

Nothing about the car is "optimized." By trying to "sort of" be an SUV, the weight and size preclude it from being a sports car.

By trying to be "sort of" a sporty vehicle, the lack of interior room/cargo room preclude it from having the practicality of a true SUV.

The X5 is a fantastic vehicle.

The X6 appears to be a failure in all aspects. Why do people buy this car?
Old 02-10-11, 03:30 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

In the X6 5 seat picture, the guys should have a caption saying, "you gonna get raped" based on how tight it is in there.
Old 02-10-11, 03:43 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by syzygy
I don't understand the point or purpose of the X6. It's as though it tries to be some sort of "hybrid" among various car concepts and ends up failing in all aspects.

Nothing about the car is "optimized." By trying to "sort of" be an SUV, the weight and size preclude it from being a sports car.

By trying to be "sort of" a sporty vehicle, the lack of interior room/cargo room preclude it from having the practicality of a true SUV.

The X5 is a fantastic vehicle.

The X6 appears to be a failure in all aspects. Why do people buy this car?
You've obviously never been in one or driven one.

The X6 is hands down the best handling SUV available for under $100K. It's not even close really.

There is plenty of room in the back for those that don't have kids or aren't looking to haul massive loads.

It's not perfect by any means, it certainly has it's own shortcomings but to call it "a failure in all aspects" demonstrates how little you actually know about this vehicle.
Old 02-10-11, 09:41 PM
YEH
Pole Position

And people thought BMW designs were going to get better after Bangle left.

The saving grace for BMW is the 6 Series 4-door coupe/Gran Coupe concept and even that has that awful pig snout anf droopy headlight design BMW designers seem so fond of these days (what happened to the clean, but aggressive front fascias of BMWs of the past?).