Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

More details on Honda’s new dedicated hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 07:10 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
I am sure Honda will do a good job this time, their specialty is efficiency and small cars. I have a feeling this car will be fantastic.
+1....................
Old 08-05-08, 07:59 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

But but but it's not a full hybrid like the Prius!!!

To me, it doesn't matter how the car delivers the mileage. The end user will only care about the mpg they're going to get. Doesnt' matter if it runs on 3cyl or 10, partial or full hybrid. This car will be a HUGE HUGE HUGE hit if Honda can pull it off for under $18.5k. However, knowing Honda dealers, they'll markup the price like crazy..especially at this time during the oil crisis.
Old 08-05-08, 08:31 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But can it:

Be as powerful as the Prius (which isn't saying too much, but recall that the Insight was weak, very weak and a more powerful Prius is coming)

Get better mileage than the Prius?

Carry as many people/cargo as the Prius?

All at the while being cheaper than the Prius?
Old 08-05-08, 08:45 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

According to the article, the new insight will take on the hatchback shape of the fcx. If that's the case, then it's definitely going to have more cargo than the last insight:

Even if the prius is bigger and more powerful, those who crave fuel economy will find that the insight will be powerful enough for highway cruising.
Old 08-05-08, 08:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Hybrid competition between Honda and Toyota will be good. The technology will improve, and the consumer will benefit. This will motivate other automakers too.
Old 08-13-08, 08:59 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. - A top Honda Motor Co. executive said Wednesday the company’s new gas-electric hybrid will be priced lower than the Toyota Prius, its prime competitor.

The new five-door car will only be available with a hybrid powertrain. It will be smaller than Honda’s Civic and also will be priced less than a hybrid gas-electric version of the Civic, said Richard Colliver, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26178036/

FAIL!

The Insight wasn't that popular.
Old 08-13-08, 09:43 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 770 Likes on 538 Posts

Well the Civic is pretty big now, so I'm expecting something around the Fit's size? If so, it's still a decent chunk of space, far more than the insight.
Old 08-13-08, 10:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,453 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Could be a perfect city car though that's more useful than the ridiculously small and not that efficient "Smart".
Old 08-13-08, 10:44 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

I think a cheaper, more fuel efficient hybrid than the Prius is the way to go, even if it is smaller than the Prius.

Seems to me that most hybrids are used for daily commuting by one person, and not really as a family vehicle.
Old 08-13-08, 10:55 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by carguy101
I think a cheaper, more fuel efficient hybrid than the Prius is the way to go, even if it is smaller than the Prius.

Seems to me that most hybrids are used for daily commuting by one person, and not really as a family vehicle.
Yeah, but what is the flaw with hybrids? Their batteries consume cargo space. Thus, the Prius is ideal for carrying 4 adults and their luggage. So what good is a more efficient, but smaller Honda hybrid if you have to use a topper to fit all your crap in, thus adding drag. Obviously, Im just speculating but I think you see my point here.
Old 08-13-08, 02:17 PM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by carguy101

+1

Can't wait. Too bad only Toyota and Honda are going at it with the hybrid like this. If only we could mix it up with Mazda/Nissan/Ford/GM then it will be better for consumer in the long run.
Old 08-13-08, 02:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Could be a perfect city car though that's more useful than the ridiculously small and not that efficient "Smart".
DOn't worry, 90% of them will be clogging up the fast lane not optimizing its fuel efficiency.

I will say I take Honda's new hybrids efforts VERY seriously and I am sure they will bring some amazing ones to the market.

Old 08-21-08, 11:51 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds good. If the Camry brought hybrid technology to the masses, this new "Insight" will actually bring them in because of the lower price. $18,500 is what.. $1,500 off the Prius' price? What do HCH's go for in the US?
Old 10-04-08, 02:04 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can't wait for more hybrids.
Old 10-05-08, 03:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
This new Honda is estimated at 56 mpg (as per article on second post)?

Isn't the next gen Prius estimated at 70-80 mpg?

Will there be an MPG war between the two?
nope, it is supposed to be similar to current Civic Hybrid at 42mpg (or slightly better according to Honda). They are still using mild hybrid setup.

I think Honda repositioned their hybrid on purpose not to clash with Prius anymore. It is smaller than Civic and has mild hybrid with 1.3l engine.

It is like comparing Fit and Matrix. Prius is going to be not only larger but also have 160hp engine, which should be 2 classes above new Insight, and still get some 20-25% better fuel consumption due to new powertrain.

So just like Fit vs Matrix, it comes down to if you need larger car for complete family and do you need larger engine, and are you willing to spend 3k more for it.

Quick Reply: More details on Honda’s new dedicated hybrid