Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

More details on Honda’s new dedicated hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-08, 05:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,453 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Yeah, but what is the flaw with hybrids? Their batteries consume cargo space. Thus, the Prius is ideal for carrying 4 adults and their luggage.
But people buy hybrids for the stop & go city mileage they get, not carrying 4 adults and their luggage.

So what good is a more efficient, but smaller Honda hybrid if you have to use a topper to fit all your crap in, thus adding drag.
Because the target market is driving ALONE 15 miles to work in CRAPPY TRAFFIC and getting 60mpg (or whatever it ends up getting) is far more important than having the ability to haul a bunch of people or stuff.

Obviously, Im just speculating but I think you see my point here.
Yes, and your point is irrelevant based on the target use.
Old 10-05-08, 07:02 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
...Because the target market is driving ALONE 15 miles to work in CRAPPY TRAFFIC and getting 60mpg (or whatever it ends up getting) is far more important than having the ability to haul a bunch of people or stuff.
IMHO, your logic is flawed. The mainstream premise behind the purchase of hybrids is to save on gas, hence money. I would fathom that most folks who are purchasing a hybrid are getting it as their main vehicle, otherwise it wouldn't be smart economically to maintain 2 vehicles. Hence, the Prius would serve better as an everyday car: outstanding gas mileage (better than this Insight) and have the utility to carry out errands as transportation for smaller families.

If you're just a city dweller, driving alone...one should seriously consider biking to work, getting a scooter/small bike, or mass transportation. Makes much more sense in today's economy.
Old 10-05-08, 08:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
IMHO, your logic is flawed. The mainstream premise behind the purchase of hybrids is to save on gas, hence money. I would fathom that most folks who are purchasing a hybrid are getting it as their main vehicle, otherwise it wouldn't be smart economically to maintain 2 vehicles. Hence, the Prius would serve better as an everyday car: outstanding gas mileage (better than this Insight) and have the utility to carry out errands as transportation for smaller families.

If you're just a city dweller, driving alone...one should seriously consider biking to work, getting a scooter/small bike, or mass transportation. Makes much more sense in today's economy.
Then why are Smarts selling? Or many other small cars for that matter?
Old 10-05-08, 08:37 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to somewhat agree with bitkahuna on this one. Most of the people in my state drive solo to work. Carpooling is difficult since finding someone that lives near you and works near you that starts around the same time is hard. There are very few families I know where father and mother share one car and ride to work together. Generally both drive their own car to work. For my family, I wouldn't mind a car like this to drive to work. Most families that have two licensed drivers that I know have at least two car and sometimes 3 or more. We only have 3 members in my family and my son is only 5, yet we had 3 cars. One nice one, one decent 2nd car, and a beater specifically do dive to work and save money. If a cheap hybrid can replace that ugly cheap beater, at least in the long run you'd be saving money and perhaps driving in a nicer car that you can keep longer vs a 10-15 year old junker.

As for cargo space, there should be two classes of hybrid cars. One larger sized car for those that actually use these cars as their single primary vehicle and need the space, and a smaller hybrid car purely for those that need a daily commuter. The price should also reflect each class where the smaller commuters hybrids are a lot cheaper.
Old 10-06-08, 12:26 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Then why are Smarts selling? Or many other small cars for that matter?
The Smart seems to be a specialized niche vehicle that has drawn enthusiasm as a "look at me, I'm different" sort of car since it is not very practical and doesn't have that great of gas mileage for its size. Note that only ~1,700 Smart cars sold for september, down 800 from august and still well below Fit levels even at comparable price points.

And speaking of why other small cars are selling (besides the obvious gas mileage difference), my take is that there is demand in the market for an inexpensive, fuel efficient vehicle that can alternate between a commuter and family hauler. Unfortunately, there are only a few vehicles that fit this description: Fit, Versa, Back and eventually the 4-door Yaris Hatchback. Note, this is for the demographic of 2+ people in the family, not single guys by themselves. In that scenario, "city cars" do make a lot of sense economically, but again I think mass transportation, bikes, and motorcycles are better alternatives.

Don't get me wrong, I think the new Insight is great and will pressure Toyota to proliferate Prius tech downstream for everyone (by this, i mean even teenagers / college graduates). My take was the insight wasn't a specialized vehicle just for commuters (otherwise, why 4 doors?), it was intended as a cheap alternative to the Prius and be a mainstream car a la civic.
Old 10-06-08, 05:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

But people buy hybrids for the stop & go city mileage they get, not carrying 4 adults and their luggage.

Because the target market is driving ALONE 15 miles to work in CRAPPY TRAFFIC and getting 60mpg (or whatever it ends up getting) is far more important than having the ability to haul a bunch of people or stuff.

you look at hybrids as some special vehicles. Hybrid is just another type of powertrain, nothing more or less. People buy Prius because it is family car that gets good mileage. People buy RX400h/HighlanderHybrid because they are luxurious and fast while saving mileage.

In 2-3 years, Toyota/Lexus will offer >10 hybrid choices in USA alone, and it will trully become common so such misconceptions will not be anymore.
Old 10-06-08, 07:29 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree. People drive their cars and more and more people are driving these days rather than flying. So to argue that in a time of high gas prices, people don't drive their hybrids on long trips is ludacrious.

My brother just took their Prius, with 4 adults on a trip. 50 MPG Prius, or 22 MPG Mariner? The Prius can hold the cargo so its a no brainer.

Originally Posted by spwolf
you look at hybrids as some special vehicles. Hybrid is just another type of powertrain, nothing more or less. People buy Prius because it is family car that gets good mileage. People buy RX400h/HighlanderHybrid because they are luxurious and fast while saving mileage.

In 2-3 years, Toyota/Lexus will offer >10 hybrid choices in USA alone, and it will trully become common so such misconceptions will not be anymore.
And don't forget the whole green factor.
Old 10-06-08, 07:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
My brother just took their Prius, with 4 adults on a trip. 50 MPG Prius, or 22 MPG Mariner? The Prius can hold the cargo so its a no brainer.
I don't think it gets 50mpg on the highway, does it? And no way with 4 adults and luggage.

Also, must have been a short time away cuz a Prius ain't holding much luggage for 4 people (rollaboard each maybe).

And don't forget the whole green factor.
Somehow in this economy I think a lot of people are going to forget about 'green' in terms of environment, and only focus on any green left in their wallet and bank account.

Anyway, this thred is about HONDA, not Toyota.
Old 10-06-08, 08:11 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Anyway, this thred is about HONDA, not Toyota.
....yes and we were comparing the practicality of the Toyota vs. the Honda. Like we often do.
Old 10-06-08, 09:26 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

seems like honda is trying to follow the chinese....can beat them then copy them.....look at the new insight.....what a rip off!!!
Old 10-06-08, 10:02 PM
cloudnine
Pole Position

I thought the Insight may have been the first hybrid to be sold in America, but the Prius was the first one sold anywhere? Also, the next-generation Prius that will be coming out in a couple of years will be able to plug into AC current, so it is estimated to cost 4 or 5 cents a mile?

As for the notSmart, it's supposed to get 32 or so mpg, which is not as good a base-engine Corolla. Pretty pitiful for a slow phone booth, one that's equipped with Daimler reliability too.
Old 10-06-08, 11:20 PM
butterbeer
Pole Position

HOLY UGLINESS LOL...honda seems to be making uglier and uglier cars these days, anyone seen the s3000 preview?? (possibly V6 now!)
Old 10-06-08, 11:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
you look at hybrids as some special vehicles. Hybrid is just another type of powertrain, nothing more or less.
Then why does Lexus put their hybrid models in a separate section on their web site? (I always thought that was strange - why not mention the GS450h in the GS section for example!?)

If hybrid is just a power train, why do unique vehicles have to be built around it?

People buy Prius because it is family car that gets good mileage.
I would bet a big chunk of Prius buyers are single, who want a car that reflects their environmental views and has little to do with it being a 'family car'.

Hybrids today are still rare.