Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which truck is better IYHO?
2008 GMC Sierrra 2500HD Z71 4WD Crew Cab with 6.6 Duramax/Allison
25.00%
2008 Ford F250 FX4 4WD Crew Cab with Turbo Desiel
16.67%
2008 Dodge Ram 3500HD Fleetside (non dually) Crew Cab with Cummins
8.33%
2008 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4WD Crew Cab with 6.6 Duramax/Allison
50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Truck opinions please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-07, 10:55 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Truck opinions please!

Ok, Needs some help with a Truck decision! I am looking at getting a second vehicle. I really enjoy a nice big truck, so I need some opinions here.

Each of the trucks in the poll have desiel engines with the premium trannys. They are all crew cab 4wd with all power options and cloth interior.

If you have a strong opinion on one over the other please post it. People DON'T post that you think one is crap and another one is better only because you like one brand more than the other. Provide reasons.

I am looking to purchase in the next month, so I have some time to decide.

I don't want a Tundra because they do not produce a 3/4 model or a desiel.

Last edited by IronCobra; 09-05-07 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-06-07, 05:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I assume you've also ruled out the Titan for the same reasons.....and its unreliability.

Of the list you've provided, I'd go with the Chevy Silverado or GMC Sierra....Both are basically the same truck with different trim. Consumer Reports shows the reliability of the Chevy/GMC 2500 turbodiesel AWD series to be better (slightly below average for trucks) than their own 1500-series brothers (further below average)...but data is not available on every possible combo. In addition, full-time AWD is an option, if you want it, on Chevy/GMC 2500 models.....it is not available on comparable Ford and Dodge models, which only come with part-time 4WD only for off-road or slick-pavement use.
But, if you want full-time AWD, check and see if it is available on the PARTICULAR truck you want......trucks can be equipped an amazing different number of ways and you have to check each one out individually.

Ford trucks have historically been extremely popular, and also have historically been more reliable than Chevy or Dodge, but CR's reliability record for the Ford 2500 turbodiesel in both 2WD and 4WD versions has not been encouraging.....well below average. Data is not available for a breakdown (no pun intended ) of the Dodge Ram 2500 turbodiesel 2WD and 4WD versions, but both of them taken together show an average record. Ram 3500 data is not available. In actual use, however, 4WD trucks have usually been a little less reliable than 2WD ones......so the 4WD ones will probably be pretty close to the Chevy in reliability.

The payload and hauling capability of all of these trucks is more or less the same, so I wouldn't let that be much of a factor in your choice (Dodge Rams sometimes have slightly more). But taking everything into consideration.....looks, interior, engineering, reliability, etc....I'd go with the Silverado.

But if you need to do REALLY hard work, of course, then obviously, the Ram 3500 with the dual-rear wheels is the way to go, but Ford and Chevy also offer competing trucks in the 3500 range.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-06-07 at 05:14 AM.
Old 09-06-07, 05:44 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you're ready to take the pounding a 3/4 or 1-ton will deliver in urban driving, you will find the diesel a worthy investment. Don't start ticking off the option boxes until you visit Gale Banks Engineering at http://bankspower.com/ for a tour of the engine mods that can make a DRAMATIC difference in your oil-burner's sportive nature.

mmarshall makes a good point about the full-time 4WD. You'll find you get a lot more practical use out of it than a part-time setup. On rain-slick streets where you NEED 4WD, a part time system, because it locks front and rear axles together will chew up its transfer case in pretty short order because of the torque wind-up between the axles. In mud or snow that difference in wheel rotation is easily relieved by a little wheel slippage, but on pavement, the path of least resistance is the drive chain in the transfer case. At least you can select 4H and limp home as a big honkin' diesel FWD as you listen to the bits of chain circulate the transfer case's sump.

Before selecting a dulley, or even a crew cab, take some critical measurements. I have a neighbor who had to build a new $30K garage to accommodate his new $30K truck. Missed fitting his old one by THIS much.

Last edited by Lil4X; 09-06-07 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-06-07, 05:58 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Father in-law has the 2500 HD duramax; I like it, very nice truck.

I am starting to look for one as well, but it may be a couple years. I will go with the f250 diesel though.
Old 09-06-07, 10:00 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Well, I have checked the pricing and though MOST people I've talked to think that the GMC and Chevy cost so much more than the rest, they are all actually within a few grand of each other.

Equipped the way I want this is the general price
GMC: $45,995 after rebates
Chevy: $44,000 after rebates
Dodge: $43,500 with rebates
Ford: $45,000 no rebates

I am partial to the Sierra's looks. I will be test driving the GMC and the Ford. My friend has the non-dually Dodge 3500HD with the Cummins and several mods. That thing scoots! BUT it ride really poorly. I'm told that the GMC will probably have the most comfortable seats and ride.
Old 09-06-07, 02:20 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dad bought an '08 4X4 F-350 about a month or two ago and I really like it. I usually don't like to drive trucks as dailys, but with this one, I would make an exception. It is the first HD truck I have driven, and for that matter, the first FI vehicle I have ever driven. The boost is very fun . The truck is still being broken in so I haven't even really driven it hard and I already like it. Also, the 350 HP and 650 ft/lb 6.4L twin turbo diesel is very quite compared to the previous generation, that is until you step on it . As soon as you turn it on, you are good to go. No waiting required.

The truck is the XLT, not the eddie bauer or even the harley davidson or king ranch, since the truck is for work/weekend driver, but the interior is nice. It has cloth seats but they are comfortable. The steering is excellent for such a mammoth, smooth and tight turning radius. The ride is good too, a little bumpy when you hit certain bumps in the road but nothing major or annoying.
I am not too experienced with trucks, especially turbo diesels but overall I was very impressed. So far I have found one thing that I don't like about the truck.
Old 09-06-07, 02:25 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Forgot to add, I like the styling of the ford ALOT. The backend isn't that much different than the previous gen, but the front end does it for me and makes up for the rear. My dad's has the massive chrome front end. And he wouldn't have it any other way . I think it also has functioning side vents ( don't know if they are purely aesthetic or functional, but they look nice either way). Someone can correct me on that if I am wrong.
Old 09-06-07, 04:04 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the look of the ford trucks, but you can not beat a cummins for torque and long life. Out of your choices Ford and Dodge are the only ones with a solid front axle in there 4X4's
Old 09-06-07, 04:34 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I've owned a Chevy Z71 4x4, and it was rock-solid, and really took a pounding. I wouldn't hesitate in buying another one, if I had a place to park it. I voted for the Chevy since it's the same as the GMC, but a tad cheaper. IMO I like the Chevy design better, too.

Javier
Old 09-06-07, 05:08 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

GMC all the way!!!
Chevy is cool too...