Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New hearthrob on the list - Mercury Milan

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-07 | 09:09 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lil4X

I agree that the Avalon is probably a better buy.
Both the Avalon & Milan are good buys imo. I drove an '06 Avalon and the ride was very lexus-like as well as everything else. BUT of course the Avalon will cost a little more. I would still take the Avalon though
Old 09-08-07 | 06:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
You think YOU'RE unhappy with the latest ES? Take a walk over to the ES forums and try to say something nice about it. Hint: come wearing your flame suit.
I'll let them have their say and speak for themselves, Lil.....I've already had mine.

I agree that the Avalon is probably a better buy.
Yes, in some ways.....where you are in Houston you don't get much snow and ice and don't really need the Milan's AWD option.

The Avalon, in general, rides a little more softly than the Ford triplets (I didn't test the firmer-riding Avalon Touring model to compare it to the regular
model), and even the regular Avalon rides slightly firmer than past models due to lower-profile tires (seems like you can't get away from them these days). It is, of course, not a sports sedan or a car for twisty roads in spite of the new suspension and tires (maybe the Touring model is a little better). The Avalon also has a superb 280 HP V6 engine and automatic transmission that runs and shifts just like clockwork.

Although I said in an earlier comment that The Fusion and Milan don't compete directly with the Avalon as they do with the Camry, I agree with you that I'd much rather have an Avalon than a Camry. I recently reviewed a new Camry SE and was not impressed at all with the interior quality (even taking a few pot shots from some other people about that ). There are some things about the Avalon's interior I didn't like, but IMO it was far more livable with on a daily basis.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-08-07 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-08-07 | 01:04 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

I've also had a Fusion as a rental and it was nice too. The suspension was firm, body was fairly well controlled, steering and brakes weren't shabby. And the styling is good, although the interior needs work. If I wanted a daily beater, I would consider this. I'm not sure about the Milan since there are very few around here and it's not really a popular choice.

The Avalon is a much bigger choice and better compared to the Ford Taurus. I have also driven the Avalon and there is much to like about it. But I'm so partial to a good driving experience, that the awful steering and brakes along with the roly-poly suspension are just too much for me to truly consider buying one. Heck, I didn't even want to pick it out as a rental the second time around.
Old 09-08-07 | 04:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AzNMpower
The Avalon is a much bigger choice and better compared to the Ford Taurus. I have also driven the Avalon and there is much to like about it. But I'm so partial to a good driving experience, that the awful steering and brakes along with the roly-poly suspension are just too much for me to truly consider buying one. Heck, I didn't even want to pick it out as a rental the second time around.
What do you find so awful about the Avalon's steering? Granted, it's no BMW, but I've seen lots worse. And the suspension/body roll, while again not up to sports car/sports sedan standards, is noticeably firmer than the Avalon it replaces, along with lower-profile tires......as are most cars these days.

The only regular passenger car (non-SUV) I've driven recently that has anywhere near what I would call an overly-soft suspension is the Kia Amanti.
THAT car was a handful on almost anything but arrow-straight roads, even by my somewhat conservative standards......but cars like that today are rare; the main obsession today is handling and steering response, and most cars deliver.
Old 09-08-07 | 08:20 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What do you find so awful about the Avalon's steering? Granted, it's no BMW, but I've seen lots worse. And the suspension/body roll, while again not up to sports car/sports sedan standards, is noticeably firmer than the Avalon it replaces, along with lower-profile tires......as are most cars these days.
I haven't driven the old Avalon, but the current steering is far too numb and far too light. It was as light as my Lexus ES300, which means a sneeze will land you in the next lane. It proved difficult to aim around bends and offered no feedback on what the tires were doing. The Avalon was the XLS and not the Touring model, but I can't imagine Toyota really making a suspension that much firmer. It rolled so much, that my mom got nausea sitting in the backseat as I curved around Mt. St. Helens.

In fact, I've also driven the Chevy Impala and that had better suspension control without being overly harsh. By my standards its still too soft, but it was better controlled than the Avalon. Now, the steering was a mixed bag. For the most part, it was weighted better and offered just a hair more feedback. However, I constantly beat the power steering pump while parallel parking.......something that should NOT be happening.

Sorry, a bit off-topic.
Old 09-09-07 | 10:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry, a bit off-topic.
Not really. Lil4X, the person who actually opened the thread, was comparing the Milan with the Avalon.
Old 09-10-07 | 08:29 AM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not really. Lil4X, the person who actually opened the thread, was comparing the Milan with the Avalon.
Oh okay. yea I didnt see mention of the Avalon in the opening thread but read a bit further down and saw the comparison.

To its credit, the Avalon has the best Toyota gearbox I've ever sampled. It's smooth, efficient, but thankfully, full throttle kickdowns come NOW when you as for it. Passing on the one-lane roads of Oregon and Washington was very fun with 268hp on tap . The manual mode doesn't work right though (If you select "3", it starts in 1st gear from a stop anyway), and the automatic downshift on downhills was a bit abrupt and unnecessary. But amazingly, it achieved 35 miles to the gallon on our highway stint from Mt. Hood to Crater Lake, even as me and my dad were blasting down the countryside!

Oh, and the backseat reclines on the Avalon. It's a terrific highway car. But day to day, it's a bit too big.
Old 09-10-07 | 09:13 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
The lady in the Milan commercials is on the throb list.
Definitely, she makes me throb!

I have owned 8-9 Hondas over my life time, mostly Accords. While in Portland, I had a fusion and I must say, I was impressed. Even the 4 cylinder was a smooth competent family hauler. Based on the Mazda 6 chassis though, it was a no brainer. I like it, not enough to buy one, but I wouldn't shun folks for buying a Fusion like I do with a Taurus.

The Milan is a beautiful car. I too caught the Milan bug a while back. A Ford that looks and drives great? Wow, what a concept!

Go look at the new Mazda 6 in a thread on CL. All I can say is WOW! That's a great looking family hauler.

Steve
Old 09-10-07 | 02:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The manual mode doesn't work right though (If you select "3", it starts in 1st gear from a stop anyway),

But amazingly, it achieved 35 miles to the gallon on our highway stint from Mt. Hood to Crater Lake, even as me and my dad were blasting down the countryside!
Almost all manual-shift automatics revert to "1" at a dead stop, no matter what gear you had it in when you last shifted. That is a necessity.....few street cars, other than the likes of Dodge Vipers and Corvette Z06's, have the massive torque needed to start from a dead stop in high gear without excessive slipping of the clutches (even automatic clutches) and overstraining the engine.

The difference is that some manu-matic trannys will shift back up automatically to the "3" position you had it in and then hold it there until another stop......others make you manually shift it back up to "3" as the car picks up speed. With the latter, you have to be careful to remember to upshift it at the proper time when you take off from a stop.......otherwise you could very quickly get the engine near redline accidentially on an aggressive start in first gear. I've done that a couple of times myself in unfamiliar cars I've driven or reviewed (or like Mazdas and BMW's which have an opposite fore-aft +/- shift pattern from most cars).....we all probably have.

Was the 35 MPG verified by the trip computer's mileage readout?

Otherwise, I question the 35 MPG highway figure you got with the Avalon's 280 HP V6, even featherfooting it and keeping it in high gear on a level surface....and the area of the country you're talking about is not particularly level either. More likely, what happened was that you actually got mid-high 20's (maybe 30 at the most) and it LOOKED like more because when you gassed up, you were not on a level surface, and the gas tank was at either a fore-aft or side-to-side tilt. Depending on the amount of tilt, the amount of vaccum in the filler pipe vents/canister, the sensitivity of the tank's fuel-float sending unit, and and the sensitivity of the gas pump handle's automatic cut-off feature, you may not have gotten the tank completely full. This is a common occurance that gives many people false mileage readings.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-10-07 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-10-07 | 04:08 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

The computer said 35 miles to the gallon, but I understand that such computers tend to be optimistic. That was just the very best extreme. In most of the other highway driving it was closer to "31mpg" (maybe actual is 29-30?).

The fuel gauges on Toyotas/Lexus seem to rise/fall more than other cars, so I can never get an accurate fuel estimate. On my Lexus, I drove in the city for a day and a half with the fuel light coming on/off randomly.

About the topography, that part of central Oregon is very flat. They call it the "high desert" and once you get out of the mountain range, it's fairly flat for the most part. You can see the cool mountains in the not-too-far distance to the west. The gearing in that 5-speed automatic is fairly tall too. Too tall. In top gear lockup @ 60mph it revs 1750rpm, which is a bit low and causes a bit of gear hunting. At 80mph it is a cool 2400rpm, and at 105mph it registered 2800rpm (they don't call it "high desert for no reason ).

I know that most manumatics downshift for you at a stop. However, say I picked 4th gear and I'm travelling 45mph. If you floor it in the Avalon, it will kickdown to 2nd. If you push it mildly hard, it will downshift to 3rd. So therefore it doesn't allow complete control. Plus IMO the shift direction is opposite and incorrect, but you and I differ on that, mmarshall.

On a side note, the Mustang V6 we had for a week in Florida could select 3rd gear, and START in 3rd quite briskly. I found that incredibly stupid but impressive nonetheless.