Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 50 worst car of all time by TIME magazine

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-07, 09:05 AM
ontime_78
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha Hummer H2 is on there, fuh2.com.
Old 09-10-07, 09:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Isn't the Jaguar X-Type basically a Ford Taurus or the European version the Ford Mondeo?
I don't think so. X-Type is RWD, other 2 are FWD.
Old 09-10-07, 09:20 AM
ontime_78
Rookie

Haha Hummer H2 is on there, fuh2.com.
Old 09-10-07, 09:33 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Not sure what is the timespan for the Model T, but if they were the only car at the time, how could it be the worst if it's the only one???

Geez, give it a little more respect than that

Is the hyudai excel anywhere on that list?
Old 09-10-07, 10:31 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
You think so? Did you know that the rear bumper *or the rear valance or something or other* had a screw pointing right at the gas tank? If you got rear ended, that screw would pierce the tank and should a spark also be caused... BOOM Huge recall.
Ford had a number of "Zippo" recalls in the '70's, most related to placing the fuel tank aft of the rear axle, between the frame rails. That was a pretty common practice among automakers, but Ford had the bright idea of saving weight in a number of their vehicles by bolting the fuel tank into a cutout in the trunk floor from below, allowing the top of the tank to form the floor of the trunk. Don't put anything sharp in there, then put something heavy on top. You go bouncing down the road and ka-BOOM!

I had two '74 Pinto Wagons in my fleet, and while one served admirably (albeit with little highway mileage), the other (the one assigned to my assistant and I occasionally drove) was a deathtrap in the making. The wagons did not have the fuel filler in the rear, which caused the tank neck to snap off in a collision, dumping fuel on the ground under the car - but this one suffered from a series of gremlins that were probably licensed to kill by a foreign government.
  • Malodorous funk - it bore the ghost of a former salesman who smoked big cigars while driving. No amount of cleaning, detailing, or disassembly would remove it. It became eye-watering on a hot summer day - even to smokers.

• Clown car - with only two doors, the vestigial back seat was completely unusable by adults. Load space in the rear was impressive for its class, but the GVW rating would burst the rear tires before it was exceeded. Hauling over 200 pounds in the rear was not recommended, the front end would go light and it became a handful on the road. At its best as an urban messenger.

• The Vibra-massage - The early Pintos came with a 1.6L "English Ford" engine, the revered 105E that appeared in delivery vans and club racers for a generation. Deemed too small for American roads, a 2.0 German-built engine was probably the best of the available lot, but it appeared only briefly to be replace by a 2.3 of Ford's own design that became a vibra-massage gone mad. To say this non-balance-shaft engine was a shaker was an understatement. Sadly, a large number of these were produced and pretty well wrecked any pretensions to quality Pinto could have ever enjoyed.

• Mysterious ignition cut-out - usually when passing on the highway the engine would die and would not restart for several minutes. Caused a number of near-fatal heart attacks until all drivers were warned about cutting off 18-wheelers being possibly suicidal.

• Iffy disc brakes - Front discs were subject to odd periods of boost/no boost conditions. They appeared to be overboosted, then uncontrollable in an emergency. I personally killed one of these cars, taking out a light pole at 40 mph when the right front pad welded up to the rotor, tossing me through a lane of traffic and onto the sidewalk. Fortunately for me, the cops understood. Also discovered seat belt/harness was inadequate to keep adults from slamming their heads on the door frame only inches from your face. OW!
Old 09-10-07, 10:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I don't think so. X-Type is RWD, other 2 are FWD.
Sadly bit, it is. X-type is FWD, Jag knew Americans would scoff at this so they made our X-type standard with AWD.

Old 09-10-07, 07:11 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I thought the X-Type was the Contour, or am I thinking of the S-Type? Either way, a disgrace for Jaguar and the point where the brand "jumped the shark".
Old 09-10-07, 08:39 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MoLexus
I don't know about you guys but I'm shocked they put the 7-series in there. Atleast we know they aren't on the BMW Bandwagon.
The car had way too much technology before it was ready. One of the worst cars made in terms of reliability. Newer ones are much much better, but the 02 7-series was just terrible.
Old 09-10-07, 08:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sadly bit, it is. X-type is FWD, Jag knew Americans would scoff at this so they made our X-type standard with AWD.
Ah thanks - learned something.

X-Type has sold like death anyway.
Old 09-10-07, 08:50 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jeez... They flamed on the Ford Model T because of Ford's efficient assembly line (at the time), and mass produced cars. Well I guess this writer likes the idea of using bicycle and walking to work everday...20 miles out. Nothing wrong with the Model T I guess. Just blame the man who saw a slaughter house and turned it backwards into a a assembly line.
Old 09-10-07, 09:07 PM
calichris
Lead Lap

whats wrong with the prowler?
Old 09-10-07, 09:09 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Some of there reasonings sound ridiculous. The Explorer is on there because it was one of the SUV's that started the current SUV trend?? COme on. They could have came up with a better excuse than that.
Old 09-10-07, 10:43 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trexus
Isn't the Jaguar X-Type basically a Ford Taurus or the European version the Ford Mondeo?
not a Taurus (except for engine stuff) but very close to a Mondeo (except for every body panel, most of the drivetrain, engine performance, and intereior)
Old 09-12-07, 04:29 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by calichris
whats wrong with the prowler?
Looks of a street rod, engine and transmission from a Dodge minivan.
Old 09-12-07, 05:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
You think so? Did you know that the rear bumper *or the rear valance or something or other* had a screw pointing right at the gas tank? If you got rear ended, that screw would pierce the tank and should a spark also be caused... BOOM Huge recall.
No. The main problem with the Pinto's fuel tank was not just one screw....it was the fact that Ford's managers and bean counters at the time were too cheap and stubborn to allow Ford's engineers to put an extra cross-member on the ladder frame behind the tank and protect it....they wanted the car's weight no more than 2000 lbs. and costs kept down as much as possible. The rest is history.

Quick Reply: The 50 worst car of all time by TIME magazine