Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 50 worst car of all time by TIME magazine

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-07, 05:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
The majority of these were marketing fiascoes, not necessarily bad cars. The Edsel, Corvair and several others were quite good cars but some bad PR and cowardly manufacturers who left them to twist in the wind were more responsible than their design or build quality. Compared to their contemporaries, some of these could have done quite well had their companies not cut and run.
Have to disagree on the Corvair, Lil. it was not just bad PR. The early models, especially, were a classic POS. They had a list of engineering goofs and dangerous characteristics longer than my right arm.....a separate, gasoline-burning cabin heater, swing-axle rear suspension and heavy rear-weight bias that produced oversteer and wheel-tuck-under snap rollovers, a steering column design that, in an even comparatively mild front-end crash, buckled and sent the hard plastic steering wheel upward right into the driver's head and chest, and oil seals that constantly failed and covered the whole inside of the engine compartment with oil gook, sometimes leading to fires. In addition, like some early VW Beetles, the light front end and rear-weight bias made it dance all over the road in crosswinds....increasing the chance of head-on collisions on narrow roads.

I didn't agree with everything Ralph Nader wrote in his book "Unsafe at any Speed" (overall, I agreed with about 50% of the book), but in the first chapter on the 1961-1963 Corvair, he was right on the money....it was indeed a classic, poorly engineered, piece of junk.

But I would agree with you that the Edsels were not necessarily bad cars.....they were just restyled late 50's Mercurys with unusual grille designs. But what turned people off on some Edsel models were the transmission push-buttons in the center of the steering wheel.....the Chrysler tranny push-buttons which were shortly to follow were on the dash, where they didn't spin around with the wheel and were always in easy reach.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-12-07 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-12-07, 05:47 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the consulier is actually a good car, if you're into driving.
but if you're into impressing others... not so much. although, it attracts TONS of attention.
Old 09-12-07, 07:51 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
The Iron Duke wasn't the model name, it's the nickname for one of the worst engines of all time
Is that the TPI or the Catch-fire... *cough* Crossfire Injection?
Old 09-12-07, 07:59 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaydunn
Looks of a street rod, engine and transmission from a Dodge minivan.
You forgot price of a loaded Vette in there too. I remember the markup on those things. My dad took me to see one once when I was a kid at the local stealership. They were charging ~$65000 for their purple one on the floor.

I also fondly remember them because some guy tried to race me once back when I had my 300zxTT (my car had all the boltons short of turbo upgrades).
Old 09-12-07, 08:10 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
What were the criteria to make them "the worst"?
Uglyness. That's why vehicles such as the Aztec and 7-series are up there.
Old 09-12-07, 08:28 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

the last Gen 7 Series looks pretty good...
Old 09-12-07, 09:24 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh my godness,, they stuck the YUGO GV up on that list (and for good reasoning) and totally missed that off brand, little French thing... The Renault LeCar. Sadness.... Found this lil gem on ebay. People are trying to sell this thing for like $3500. You be the judge....
Old 09-13-07, 05:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by trukn1
Oh my godness,, they stuck the YUGO GV up on that list (and for good reasoning) and totally missed that off brand, little French thing... The Renault LeCar. Sadness.... Found this lil gem on ebay. People are trying to sell this thing for like $3500. You be the judge....
My brother bought a new 1979 LeCar (techically known as the Renault 5) and loved it...........even though the paint finish was a joke, the hardware was junk, the shifter felt like chewing gum, the controls and levers were the ultimate in quirkiness, and the driver's seat support literally fell apart after a year....he propped the back cushion up with a wooden board. (warranties were only one year in those days).

It also had more body roll from the narrowness and high center of gravity, in the ultra-soft French tradition, than probably any other car I have ever driven....though the Kia Amanti comes close.

There was a turbo, bulged-fender, Alpine version of this car that was actually pretty good on the track.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-13-07 at 05:09 AM.
Old 09-13-07, 09:18 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
I can think of MUCH worse cars than a 7 series... They've lost all credibility with me for that PR stunt
People who have been trapped in their cars when the iDrive malfunctioned and didn't allow the doors to be unlocked or windows to be opened would disagree with you. So would the ones who got drenched when they were unable to close the windows/sunroof when it began to rain.

And the ones who were stranded when the car refused to start because the computer forgot how to cycle the starter motor.

I am a HUGE BMW fan, but I would NEVER consider one of the early E65/E66 745i/Ls.
Old 09-13-07, 09:49 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My brother bought a new 1979 LeCar (techically known as the Renault 5) and loved it........It also had more body roll from the narrowness and high center of gravity, in the ultra-soft French tradition, than probably any other car I have ever driven....
A friend and I campaigned his R-4 (progenitor of the R-5) through a couple of seasons on the Southwest SCCA rally circuit. I have to confess surprise in that the little beast was a match for the stringback-glove, MG, TR, and Mini set with whom we were classed. It was a little slow, but once you learned to recalibrate your inner ears, it was quick in the corners. We never won, but were seldom embarrassed, and never scored a DNF. It was surprisingly reliable, if unglamorous.

The Renault redefined your whole concept of body roll. The ultra-soft suspension was supremely comfortable, and surprisingly it managed to keep all four wheels pointed in the same direction - even while heeling on her beam ends. You learned to live in what felt like a permanent state of incipient rollover. Any other vehicle would have killed you for such brazen control inputs, but the little R-4 simply knelt further into its unlimited range of suspension deflection and although it did so with the inside rear wheel often well clear of the roadway, it stuck to the corner like lint on a blue blazer. At the end of the day you expected to get out and find major damage to doors and rocker panels, but although the horizon often assumed crazy angles through the windshield, and the view out the side window was often either brown or blue, depending on your relationship to the apex, you learned to suppress the scream that might frighten le pilote.

That dog-at-a-fire-hydrant cornering stance notwithstanding, it made for a surprisingly quick vehicle when making up time thanks to the navigator's (my) errors. The interior was plush - at least compared to its contemporaries, with soft leather seats and a reasonable amount of room - thanks to the tall cabin and upright seating. It was typically French (read, weird) in all aspects. Its red paint routinely turned to chalk every ninety days, becoming an odd tomato soup color. It went through several dealer-applied re-applications of paint until someone suggested the paint itself might be faulty (again, French), and a final coat of Ford red was applied - ending the paint problems permanently.

At the end of our second (full) season, the Renault went back to Jim's wife - who never knew what we had been doing with her grocery-getter on the odd weekend for the past two autumn seasons. It went on for a couple of years until their growing family needed more room for booster seats and a larger vehicle with actual cargo space was required for playpens and strollers. It seems road rallying wasn't Jim's only hobby.
Old 09-13-07, 12:11 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow,, never knew I could spark up sooo many memories with the LeCar. LOL!!! Hmm for s*&t's and giggles,, let's talk about the Citroen. Any Takers?
Old 09-13-07, 02:36 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For an interesting tour of Jay Leno's Citroen SM, check this out:
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...l?vidID=125002
Old 09-13-07, 06:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1
Wow,, never knew I could spark up sooo many memories with the LeCar. LOL!!! Hmm for s*&t's and giggles,, let's talk about the Citroen. Any Takers?
Jeremy Clarkson reviewed the new C6 on Top Gear and was very impressed. Still the stunning ride that can soak up any bumps. Great looking car too.

Old 09-13-07, 09:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Jeremy Clarkson reviewed the new C6 on Top Gear and was very impressed.
Let's see if Chevy gets hot and bothered about Citroen using the C6 Corvette designation....you know how auto companies can be about things like this. Maybe the fact that the company is French, and doesn't do buisness in the American market, shields it from U.S. copyright laws.