Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota FT-HS Hybrid 0-60mph 4.0 sec

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-09, 10:16 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^The Toyota Supra HV-R hybrid race car has a 6-speed manual (it uses capacitors instead of batteries though). Hopefully Toyota will make the HV-R drivetrain available to their sports car models.
Old 08-28-09, 06:19 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mister Two
^The Toyota Supra HV-R hybrid race car has a 6-speed manual (it uses capacitors instead of batteries though). Hopefully Toyota will make the HV-R drivetrain available to their sports car models.
No, it does not. Sequential box.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I think that they will offer a gas powered variant for a number of reasons:

1) Retail price (lower on non-hybrid)
2) True performance enthusiasts won't be too enthusiased about a hybrid-only sports car
3) Because of points 1 and 2, they will probably sell more gas powered versions than hybrid ones, making it a logical choice considering economies of scale in manufacturing parts for the car.

Plus a few other reasons...
Agreed. A 400+ hp, 4 sec 0-60, hybrid coupe as trick as the FT-HS? 45k easy, and that would be totally fair. A lighter, 330hp, gas powered version for us gas heads starting at 28K would be totally relevant.

SO many cool things can be done with the FT-HS. C'mon Toyoda, lets see what you got.
Old 08-28-09, 07:20 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Really? I didn't know that. Thought I don't see any company selling a hybrid with capacitors to the public.

Originally Posted by MR_F1
A lighter, 330hp, gas powered version for us gas heads starting at 28K would be totally relevant.
I would keep it at an even 303 HP as not to bastardize sales from the hybrid model. I.e. I wonder to people buy the 230 Hp Fusion with the 268 HP not too far off in cost?
Old 08-28-09, 08:31 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

it'd have to be a better value/performance proposition than the 370Z
Old 08-29-09, 01:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by carLx
"a sports car that's eco-friendly and fun to drive; a sports car as fast as a Ferrari, yet as fuel-efficient as a four-cylinder compact."

ferrari performance, 4 cylinder fuel efficiency, exotic styling, and all for $30,000

riiiiiiiggghht

There's absolutely no way we're going to see a car with ALL 4 of those qualities together.

Japanese engineering is brilliant. Let's give them the first 3 for a second (0 to 60 in 4 sec, mind boggling fuel efficiency, exotic styling)....there's no way they'll sell it for just $30,000

What the hell is the point of the IS-Fs, the C63 AMGs, the M3s which are slower 0 to 60 than this $30k exotically styled 4 cylinder-like fuel efficient hybrid?

Yeah, 0 to 60 isn't everything in a sports car, but it's certainly among the most relevant.

It's less involved making an 8 second (0 to 60 car) go 0 to 60 in 7.

It takes a LOT to make a car go even tenths of a second faster once we're in sub 5.5 range or so.

The entire concept seems very much like what Tesla has done with its tesla roadster. Although they have an ALL electric powertrain, it does 0 to 60 in 3.7, it has exotic/aggressive styling, it's EXTREMELY "fuel efficient" (equivalent if you look at cost and translate into hypothetical gas mileage)...but it sure as hell isn't just $30,000

Tesla roadster STARTS a little above $110,000 with no options if i recall correctly.

Imagine if the tesla roadster was $30,000.
Toyota has more engineering might and economies of scale Tesla can only dream about. I love what Tesla is doing but Toyota is by far the hybrid leader with the money and expertise to make this happen.

Also technologies continues to get better and time does not stand still. Cars we thought were fast 10 years ago are completely slow to their new generations.

This is a huge HALO car for Toyota and they are gambling a lot on it.

Old 08-29-09, 04:10 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

if it does get a 6mt, sign me up!!!
Old 08-29-09, 04:24 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Where are you getting the fact that it's going to use capacitors? I sure hope they dont because the car will probably travel 2 inches before the capacitors are discharged.
Old 08-29-09, 05:09 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Where are you getting the fact that it's going to use capacitors? I sure hope they dont because the car will probably travel 2 inches before the capacitors are discharged.
i think its a combination of capacitors + batteries

capacitors on it are not what you typically find in your TV's, computers and such

these are high capacity capacitors that hold probably 10Ah each
Old 08-29-09, 06:49 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
The Supra HV-R uses capacitors. If Toyota are serious about the FT_HS, they will have to use a combination of the two, ultra capacitors and batteries.

Like Mike said, this can be a HUGE halo car for the Toyota brand, and I think amazing things can be done with it.
Old 08-30-09, 02:57 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am excited to just get some sports car innovation from Toyota. Its been a long long time
Old 08-30-09, 11:24 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
i think its a combination of capacitors + batteries
Originally Posted by MR_F1
The Supra HV-R uses capacitors. If Toyota are serious about the FT_HS, they will have to use a combination of the two, ultra capacitors and batteries.

This makes a lot more sense than just saying capacitors alone which was why I was thrown off in the first place. BMW has their version called Syncaps.
Old 08-30-09, 11:30 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Beautiful car. This should no doubt be the next Supra. Will Toyota finally have the gusto to release new & exciting products quickly?
Old 08-30-09, 01:22 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Beautiful car. This should no doubt be the next Supra. Will Toyota finally have the gusto to release new & exciting products quickly?
I guess we shall see come October. I dunno about the Supra moniker however.......