Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 1-series to hit U.S. shores under $30,000 - Page 7 (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-08, 04:25 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
I think the point he's trying to make is that it doesn't matter what Europe considers this car since their models are a bit different and they are known to sell luxury and non-luxury cars there. However, in this country, the United States, BMW is known exclusively as a luxury brand that sells luxury cars. ANYTHING branded a BMW here is considered luxury. Would you consider a base model 3 series non-luxury? What about a loaded 135? is that luxury? Where do you draw the line?
E X A C T L Y

[QUOTE=1SICKLEX;3508644]arent these all European (ONLY)models???

EURO only model....

EURO only model

EURO only model

EURO only model

EURO only model

and again, if you ask most Americans if the 318i was a luxury car they'd say yes....you can't look at it like every BMW is a 7 series.
Old 05-08-08, 06:27 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

geez the 1 series hatch is so much better looking than the poupe
Old 06-12-08, 11:55 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Procede 135 vs Gallardo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30T6q...d.php?t=148655

Let me guess.....

"........it's still ugly"

"......my IS*50....is better"

"..........not a fair race....."

".........bla bla bla....."
Old 06-12-08, 04:17 PM
2010mRXsh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can understand how people would like to distinguish between the BMW brand in America vs Europe...

But it really is just an illusion. I don't know where it came from but it seems that at some point, BMW and Mercedes Benz were given the idea of being luxury cars, and that has stuck for decades and decades. But I thought the two stopped being so in somewhere like the 50s??

Benz were known for their ambulances and hearses, of all things--I know, quite luxurious, really.

Only in America are the two thought of as luxury manufacturers. They may make luxury cars. But I think most people know Mercedes Benz makes trucks and taxis.

I always thought of BMW as more sport than luxury.

Some think Porsche is a luxury car. Um, I don't think so. Their interiors...awful.

And the comments on BMW being ugly. Okay, I love BMW...but since when were their cars ever good looking? I'd say...before the 70s.

Don't forget, they also made the Isetta(!!!) I LOVE that car / thing!

If anything, this 1er is more BMW than most. BMWs used to be quite small, and I would have thought relatively inexpensive. Charming in their...weirdness.

It does bug me though that people will see this as the cheaper BMW. As in, people won't actually see beyond the marque, and just buy it because it's cheaper.

And people will look down on it as being the cheaper / less cool.

BMW is a company that leans European in its tendencies. I wish they would only be less willing to bend to American desires. I want to see hatchbacks and wagons!