Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW considers new pickup, planning more minicars

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-07, 07:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default VW considers new pickup, planning more minicars

VW considers new pickup, planning more minicars

Tuesday 11 September 2007

In its quest to overtake its main rival Toyota, especially in the lucrative US market, Volkswagen is considering developing new pickup truck models to expand its range. In addition to the new utilities, officials are also planning to develop a “family of small vehicles,” as revealed by CEO Martin Winterkorn during an interview with the Financial Times. Pictured above is a one-off Touareg pickup concept built by Volkswagen Individual.

VW is keen to strengthen its image in the US, where sales of pickups dominate the market. According to Winterkorn, VW is targeting a sales tally of eight million vehicles by the end of the decade. Last year, VW sold just under six million vehicles. By contrast, Toyota managed to move over nine million.

Southeast Asia is another prime target for VW. Its current market share in the region stands at just 0.1%, whereas Toyota commands roughly 25% of the market. As for its small car ambitions, the new up! minicar concept previews a production model set to go on sale before 2010. The concept features a rear-engine RWD platform that, according to Winterkorn, could be used to spawn a minibus, four-door hatch and other mini-variants.
via motorauthority
Old 09-12-07, 09:45 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I am not sure about the U.S. market and a pickup. However, VW used to have a VW Pointer small-size pickup here in Mexico, grossly underpowered and was better to pick up a nationalized pickup truck from the US, but if VW gets this right along with pricing they could have a good worldwide market as I know a lot of 3rd world markets that could use this.
Old 09-12-07, 10:00 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, I recall when VW had the Caddy - a Golf with a truck bed. I wonder if this is just a Touareg gone Avalanche/Escalade EXT...
Old 09-12-07, 11:18 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmm, good luck VW.

A concept pic?

Old 09-13-07, 12:27 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

New millennium Subaru Brat, anyone?
Old 09-13-07, 06:28 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

One of the old pickups VW had came with a rather strange name, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Caddy

The last model was known as a VW Pointer pick-up or Saveiro depending on the market, here is a nice video of some racing involving one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1USbi...elated&search=

As I mentioned, they weren't very good for carrying much given their power and also their capacity. It is still much easier for Mexicans to import a formerly U.S. small size pick-up and use that.