Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-07, 09:32 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

$40k...geeze!

My aunt bought a 2005 highlander v6 limited edition for about $32k out the door. This thing is now almost $40k. Then again, it has a lot more features than the previous highlander.

Any reason to buy this over the RX?
Old 09-13-07, 04:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
$40k...geeze!

My aunt bought a 2005 highlander v6 limited edition for about $32k out the door. This thing is now almost $40k. Then again, it has a lot more features than the previous highlander.

Any reason to buy this over the RX?
This vehicle was a little over 38K, list. It will probably not go out the door for quite that much.....Highlanders, while popular, are not an extreme supply-and-demand vehicle. Dealers usually keep plenty of them in stock and are willing to discount. But, still, I agree...if you want the best price, it is wise to wait a little while until the vehicle's newness and novelty have worn off a little.

Why buy it over the RX? I would say it depends on your tastes. The RX has a little more quirkiness in its exterior styling and the design of the dash and shift lever, and of course, the nice wood steering wheel the Highlander lacks. They are both great vehicles, but the new Highlander is a little more conventional-looking inside and out than the RX....and its dash, buttons, and controls, IMO are superb. Of course, a lot depends on what the new RX, yet to debut, will be like. I cannot comment on that at this time as I have not seen it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-13-07 at 04:31 AM.
Old 09-13-07, 04:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
I read an article in Car and Driver or Automobile that gave the new highlander a pretty lukewarm review although they seemed to like the interior which I say is a huge improvement for Toyota over the cheap looking and feeling uninspired dull Camry, Avalon, RAV4, and 4 Runner interiors. THe highlander interior looks to be the best Toyota interior out and pretty much in Lexus territory. I have only seen piictures and have not sat in it to feel the materials but I do like the looks of the interior. Although the Highlander is not the kind of vehicle I would be interested in it does seem to have a nice interior from the pictures and is a huge improvement over the last one. I hope it is a success for Toyota and they learn something from the praise the interior is getting.
Enthusiast car magazines, of course, are usually looking for sportiness, and the Highlander is not much of a sporting machine, though its acceleration and handling are both good by SUV standards. Still, obviously, it is not going to keep up in the quarter-mile with an SRT-8 equipped Jeep Grand Cherokee or Mercedes SUV G-class AMG.

In the past, you could almost guarantee that the most sporting and track-capable models would win the comparisons in magazines like this, but today, that is changing somewhat....they look at more than just raw performance numbers. Comfort, interior quality, fit-and-finish, convienence of controls and layouts, and (sometimes) reliability all play more of a part today.
Old 09-13-07, 04:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
Great review. I think Toyota did an awesome job with this suv. I still see alot of influential RX styling in the interior...specifically the dash.

My favorite feature as useless at it looks/sounds is the hide-away folding middle seat.
Thanks.

The second and third-row seat-folding levers on the rear sidewall are anything BUT useless. It is a clever and convienent design. My only complaint with it, (and it isn't really a complaint...it is trivial) is that, like in some other vehicles with this feature, the cutouts in the frame underneath required for the seats to fold down in take out a little bit of the road and tire noise isolation when the seats are up and expose them...but it is not bad at all.

I trust that either you or Andrew (Robarapta) will be the first to show us the new RX when pictures are available
Old 09-13-07, 05:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
Cool review. Looking forward to your CTS review next.
Thanks.

The CTS review is coming. It is next on the list....probably early next week. I'm going to help a fellow CL member getting a new Prius today, and have some other things to do tomorrow.
Old 09-13-07, 06:46 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I saw a graphite grey one in the city on Monday. Great looking suv in person I wonder if I should trade my Rav4 with 30k on the clock for it Damn.. I can't have 3 car payments now. Can only manage two at a time.
Old 09-13-07, 11:28 AM
LexFather

I couldn't believe how much better it looks in person. I was expecting crap, lol.

Old 09-13-07, 12:41 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was waiting for this to come out. Guess it's just as expensive as the MDX, most of the options you list are standard on the base MDX excpt power rear door and tow package.

I didn't notice if you said how it stacks up to the MDX?
Old 09-13-07, 02:18 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I was looking at one when I was checking out the Tundra. It looks better than the other oh yeah good review MM.
Old 09-13-07, 05:19 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.

The second and third-row seat-folding levers on the rear sidewall are anything BUT useless. It is a clever and convienent design. My only complaint with it, (and it isn't really a complaint...it is trivial) is that, like in some other vehicles with this feature, the cutouts in the frame underneath required for the seats to fold down in take out a little bit of the road and tire noise isolation when the seats are up and expose them...but it is not bad at all.

I trust that either you or Andrew (Robarapta) will be the first to show us the new RX when pictures are available
I think he means the stow-away second row middle seat.

That thing's awesome. (as retarded as that sounds)
Old 09-13-07, 09:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rai
I was waiting for this to come out. Guess it's just as expensive as the MDX, most of the options you list are standard on the base MDX excpt power rear door and tow package.

I didn't notice if you said how it stacks up to the MDX?
IMO, it trumps the MDX in most areas. The MDX's steering response is a little crisper than the new Highlanders's, but the difference isn't that much....and the MDX's steering really gets trumped by its own little brother RDX....as it does in acceleration also with the RDX's Turbo four. The only significantly better features on the MDX over the Highlander are lower-body cladding to ward off paint damage from salt and debris......this, for some reason, the Highlander lacks......and a slightly more linear brake response. And even the MDX's lower-cladding is not the best design......it is inward-sloping, so IT will pick up a lot of debris too.
Old 09-13-07, 09:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I think he means the stow-away second row middle seat.
The new Highlander has remote releases and seat folding for both the second and third rows.

The Highlander is also not the first vehicle to have the Stow-N-Go feature. It has already been pioneered, in various forms, in several minivans and full-size SUV's. The way that the Highlander does it with all-remote levers, however, is well-done.
Old 09-13-07, 09:42 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new Highlander has remote releases and seat folding for both the second and third rows.

The Highlander is also not the first vehicle to have the Stow-N-Go feature. It has already been pioneered, in various forms, in several minivans and full-size SUV's. The way that the Highlander does it with all-remote levers, however, is well-done.
I think they are talking about the middle seat in the 2nd row, how it can hide in to floor and allow passengers in the 3rd row seat easy exits
Old 09-13-07, 11:41 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good review, but does anyone watch what those idiots at the calty design studio do?
Old 09-14-07, 11:10 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're still talking about the outboard seats lol. I know what you mean about the releases in the back. I have played around with it.

We're talking about the MIDDLE seat in the MIDDLE (second) row .

The one that stores under the center console. Yeah, Honda had a similar concept with the Odyssey's 8th seat that stored into the floor but to be honest, I never got that seat to fix properly. Toyota's solution of sliding it under the console is better because you don't have to worry about making flaps in the carpet mats. (What happens if you put rubber mats?)

Quick Reply: Review: 2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4X4