Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-07, 02:28 PM
PaulD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You missed a few plusses and one or two negatives.

Plus:
- Pop open rear window is very useful for putting in a bag or two of groceries and being able to bring home longer items for Home Depot or whatever. (okay, you do mention this but I think it deserves more emphasis. I can't believe more manufacturers don't do it).
- 5000 tow rating. The only other mid-size CUV that has this is the MDX which costs a lot more. Most others are 3500lbs which is marginal for a lot of boats.
- ability to delete the 3rd row: I'm sure some people need them but a lot of people don't. It's nice to have some hidden storage instead of the 3rd row.
- The 08 Highlander is about 10 to 12" shorter than the CX9 or Saturn Outlook. That will make a difference in many people's garages.
- it comes with a full-size spare mounted on a matching aluminum wheel.

negatives:
- The way Toyota packages up options from region to region is totally absurd. Also, it's theoretically possible to custom order any Toyota with the exact combination of options somebody wants but many dealers are reluctant to do so.
- HID headlights should be optional

Also, as far as engine access, I really didn't think it was that bad with the possible exception of the spark plugs on the rear bank. It wouldn't be a pleasant job to replace those but I'm sure I could. Other more common items like the engine and cabin air filters are easy. The oil filter was also in an easy area to get to.

One other potential point in favor of the Highlander is the AWD system. I say potential because it's a bit unknown and it depends on what you're comparing too. The CX9, Pilot and Veracruz all have Haldex or a similar clutch based system that is primarily FWD. I haven't found anything definitive about the new Highlander's AWD system but the RX350 (same engine and transmission) uses a viscous center diff and these usually give a 50:50 torque split in most cars that use them. The Haldex and similar systems are good but I think a viscous diff is better.

Last edited by PaulD; 10-18-07 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-19-07, 05:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I think the reason we don't see more split-level rear hatchbacks is simple cost cutting.....it obviously costs more to put in the glass lift-panel with separate hinges. But I agree it's a good idea.....and used to be more commonplace than it is now.

Overall, though, Toyota doesn't seem to have skimped much with this vehicle, especially compared to some of their other new offerings. It is expensive, at 38K, but you seem to get what you pay for.

Not all clutch-based AWD systems, however, are basically FWD with AWD on demand. Subaru automatic-transmission vehicles use an electronic clutch-pack center differetnial with a preprogrammed front/rear torque split (depending on the vehicle). Non-WRX/STi manual-transmission models get a viscous center differential with a 50/50 split that is adjustable as wheels lose traction.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-19-07 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-19-07, 06:30 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to write up this detailed review.

I noticed you didn't list in the minus colum the 3rd row--I thought I read that it's not a split. My kids are old enough that I'm just starting to use the 3rd row of my Pilot--having that split is great to be able to fit the stroller or some other bulky item while 1/2 of the seat is up.

Also, the Smart key--I just don't understand how Toyota could not have equiped all 4 doors to the Smart Key system. It's a PITA, if you are getting a kid in the seat behind the driver's door, to use the Smart Key. If the Highlander works like my Lexus, you grab the driver's door handle and it only opens the driver's door, not all 4 (I might change this...). The Avalon has all 4 doors tied to the Smart Key--why not the Highlander.
Old 10-19-07, 06:33 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
$40k...geeze!

My aunt bought a 2005 highlander v6 limited edition for about $32k out the door. This thing is now almost $40k. Then again, it has a lot more features than the previous highlander.

Any reason to buy this over the RX?
Did your aunt buy it fully loaded? I looked at the Highlander Limited in '04. With nav, MSRP was about $36-37K. Even after negotiating with the dealer, there was a $3K premium over the Pilot.

And, even at $40K, I think you'd be looking at a base RX. Personally, I'd rather have a fully loaded Highlander to a base RX.
Old 10-19-07, 06:39 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Enthusiast car magazines, of course, are usually looking for sportiness, and the Highlander is not much of a sporting machine, though its acceleration and handling are both good by SUV standards. Still, obviously, it is not going to keep up in the quarter-mile with an SRT-8 equipped Jeep Grand Cherokee or Mercedes SUV G-class AMG.

In the past, you could almost guarantee that the most sporting and track-capable models would win the comparisons in magazines like this, but today, that is changing somewhat....they look at more than just raw performance numbers. Comfort, interior quality, fit-and-finish, convienence of controls and layouts, and (sometimes) reliability all play more of a part today.
3 posts in a row--clearly I'm playing catch up here.

I think I read the same article referred to above. I thought the basic concept was that, although better than the previous Highlander, the new one only brings it up to the level of newer competitive SUVs like the CX9 and the Acadia, rather than catapults ahead of them. Not a reason not to buy a Highlander; but contrast the minivan world--each time that a new Odyssey or Siena is introduced, it immediately becomes the gold standard.
Old 10-19-07, 07:22 AM
PaulD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think the reason we don't see more split-level rear hatchbacks is simple cost cutting.....it obviously costs more to put in the glass lift-panel with separate hinges. But I agree it's a good idea.....and used to be more commonplace than it is now.

Overall, though, Toyota doesn't seem to have skimped much with this vehicle, especially compared to some of their other new offerings. It is expensive, at 38K, but you seem to get what you pay for.

Not all clutch-based AWD systems, however, are basically FWD with AWD on demand. Subaru automatic-transmission vehicles use an electronic clutch-pack center differetnial with a preprogrammed front/rear torque split (depending on the vehicle). Non-WRX/STi manual-transmission models get a viscous center differential with a 50/50 split that is adjustable as wheels lose traction.
I'm sure you're right about cost on the rear window. As for other Toyotas, I haven't looked at them much though the Avalon doesn't seem that bad. I've only take a quick look at it though.

The clutch system Subaru uses on cars with automatics used to have a default 90:10 torque split. Have they changed that system? I have a 2005 Legacy GT with a manual transmission but I haven't paid much attention to the other systems they use though I know the STI is its own animal.

One point about cost on the Highlander. I got mine for $400 over invoice plus a $200 doc fee (ripoff but I didn't feel like arguing). The Sport can be optioned up to almost the same cost (and features) as a Limited but if you restrain yourself with the options, the car is a very good deal. I got leather and Nav on a Sport and that makes it very similar to a Limited but we deleted the third row which saved abotu $1000. Also, if someone just wants a Highlander but doesn't care much about luxury, the base model is a bargain and has the same smooth engine and ride.
Old 10-19-07, 08:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulD
I'm sure you're right about cost on the rear window. As for other Toyotas, I haven't looked at them much though the Avalon doesn't seem that bad. I've only take a quick look at it though.

The clutch system Subaru uses on cars with automatics used to have a default 90:10 torque split. Have they changed that system? I have a 2005 Legacy GT with a manual transmission but I haven't paid much attention to the other systems they use though I know the STI is its own animal.

One point about cost on the Highlander. I got mine for $400 over invoice plus a $200 doc fee (ripoff but I didn't feel like arguing). The Sport can be optioned up to almost the same cost (and features) as a Limited but if you restrain yourself with the options, the car is a very good deal. I got leather and Nav on a Sport and that makes it very similar to a Limited but we deleted the third row which saved abotu $1000. Also, if someone just wants a Highlander but doesn't care much about luxury, the base model is a bargain and has the same smooth engine and ride.
Subarus have several different AWD systems depending on model, engine, and transmission. Some of them they publish the front/rear torque split for...others not. Your stick-shift Legacy GT most likely has a viscous center differential with a normal 50/50 torque split that varies, of course, with wheel traction....essentially the same system, with some modifications, of course, that was first used on the 1981-82 AMC Eagles, if you remember those. That vehicle, though of poor quality, was way ahead of its time, and essentially started the whole idea of car-based AWD.

Subaru used to have an excellent video on their web site showing how their five different AWD systems work in detail, but unfortunately changed their web site....the new one is not as informative.

I reviewed the top-line Highlander Limited model by special request...some CL members wanted a comparison with Lexus car-based SUV's (notwithstanding the fact, of course, that a new Lexus RX is coming as well). You are correct that other Highlander models can be gotten at a lower price....but believe me, the Limited, inside, is NICE.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-19-07 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-19-07, 10:57 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Regarding the Highlander's 3rd row, I find it VERY strange that it's not a split row.