Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rare TT Supra - to mod or not to mod?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-07, 09:20 PM
exvelocity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it depends if it's a low mile car,if it is, I'd BPU it,throw a nice set of wheels and keep all original parts to turn it back to stock, if it's not low mile car,go all out,and whatever you do, don't cut corners and cheap out, do it right the first time
Stefan
Old 09-13-07, 09:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Far from low miles at 145k. I've owned this car for more than 10 years. Rolling/trimming the fenders won't get 335s in the back or 285s in the front. It's a heavy car and needs LOTS of rubber under it, especially when it's making decent power.

I'm not going to mod it to sell it. The long term plan is to either keep it or sell it soon to get an Exige and turbocharge the Exige to about 350 hp. So, the real question from my perspective is, does the car hold value better stock or modded? It's sounding like stock is better.
Old 09-13-07, 09:28 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

I'd mod it Nothing drastic, but enough to get a second look.
Old 09-13-07, 09:28 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baddis es
i'd mod it with sublte changes. i personally am not a fan of widebody kits on a supra. so i say roll the fenders and fit the widest rims possible under their. throw in a single , front lip and cruise. it'll be fast, yet subtle. also do more suspension upgrades.

a couple of my faves

+1

I'd make sure the changes were reversible.
Old 09-13-07, 09:30 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Far from low miles at 145k. I've owned this car for more than 10 years. Rolling/trimming the fenders won't get 335s in the back or 285s in the front. It's a heavy car and needs LOTS of rubber under it, especially when it's making decent power.

I'm not going to mod it to sell it. The long term plan is to either keep it or sell it soon to get an Exige and turbocharge the Exige to about 350 hp. So, the real question from my perspective is, does the car hold value better stock or modded? It's sounding like stock is better.
To answer this question, I would ask if you know anyone in your area that would pay a good amount (better then what you would get if you left it at stock) that is looking to collect. If not then I would keep it stock seeing as you want to get an Exige.
Old 09-13-07, 11:39 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would you ever want to sell that car? if you car is a manual then the car is worth even more. i know that from 95-97 all turbo model supras were automatic only. that means only 3 years of the supra could have has a stick for a tranny choice and many were autos if im not mistaken. as for what is worth more modded or not at this point either way is about the same. though i think modded if done right might be worth more. anyone who is interested in a supra that is more then 13 years old would most likely be someone who is going to mod the crap out of it anyways. if you do get a body kit may i suggest the OG TRD kit? and lots of rubber will be needed to handle the power at 600+ hp.
Old 09-14-07, 06:29 AM
exvelocity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AM1
i know that from 95-97 all turbo model supras were automatic only.
you may want to do your homework

only in 1996 Turbo models had automatic transmission
Old 09-14-07, 06:42 AM
exvelocity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Far from low miles at 145k.Rolling/trimming the fenders won't get 335s in the back or 285s in the front. It's a heavy car and needs LOTS of rubber under it, especially when it's making decent power.
315s in rear and 285s in front is OK too

there was still plenty of room for 335s once I trimmed the quarter panels

stock car with those miles will not be worth that much,
Old 09-14-07, 07:17 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Leave it stock and put it away in storage. Find another car to satisfy your modding urges.

This car will only rise in value as good quality, unmolested versions become increasingly difficult to find.
Old 09-14-07, 08:31 AM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yea i agree with ross. put away. one day someone will come looking for a stock supra like yours. and you'll be able to jack the price up because everyone else with your car has modded it and decreased its value...

it'd be more fun to have both...then you can say "yea i have an awesome supra and my exige is my little toy"...it's like a collectors...
Old 09-14-07, 10:02 AM
LexFather

Historically have Supra hardtops been more sought after than Targas? Are prices that much different?
I;ve seen the car in person, its in great shape. While rare, I think the mileage might scare people away that would give a large offer for it.

So I would mod it and keep it and maybe down the line, someone offers some nice $$$$ for it.,

Old 09-14-07, 03:13 PM
exvelocity
Pole Position

It's true, MKIV with targa is dime a dozen,but hardtop is very rare,but I agree with you, mileage on this one kills it to be a hi-dollar collectible
Old 09-14-07, 04:29 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think in your case, it would be totally awesome to keep exterior stock. Maybe some wheels but no body kit. Put all your cash into performance. Then next time you get revved at the lights, then you'll give quite a scare to an unsuspecting victim in their (insert any car here)
Old 09-14-07, 04:37 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Honestly I would just do some very nice rims and try to maintian the stock look because when you look back and look at it today the car's design is no where near outdated. Also it seems you maintian it very well so you shouldn't worry about trying to get a buyer on it later on..................O and come on the least you can do is post more pics.
Old 09-14-07, 11:36 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by exvelocity
you may want to do your homework

only in 1996 Turbo models had automatic transmission
maybe, but im pretty sure that in CA 95-97 was auto only. anyways rare car.

Quick Reply: Rare TT Supra - to mod or not to mod?