Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pumping gas in the morning?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-07, 02:33 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Pumping gas in the morning?

Not sure where I should put it.....mods please move to appropriate...

Got this email from a friend.....IS THIS TRUE????

Thanks for reading......

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold.

Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon.

In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business.
But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages:
low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping.
All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof.
This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder. If there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope this will help you get the most value for your money
Old 09-14-07, 03:05 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, yea i guess that at some level most of that might be true, but i highly doubt that any of it will be noticeable or even measurable by any of us.

Either way, gas is NOT something else I am going to add to my life to stress about! I got the 250, it saves enough gas as it is, done deal.
Old 09-14-07, 03:07 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, thats very useful info, thanks.
Old 09-14-07, 03:24 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah. maybe true, but the difference won't be noticable without precise measurements and the difference probably isn't worth your convenience for filling up when you want.

but thanks for something interesting to think about.
Old 09-14-07, 03:39 PM
neova
Pole Position

next time you gas up take a close look at the pump there should be a label that says all the fuel is stored in the tank at 15 degrees C and that's the temperatute at which the pump measures volume. that's in canada anyways.
Old 09-14-07, 03:47 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Status of urban legend: undetermined

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp
Old 09-14-07, 04:11 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in Canada and I noticed that all pumps say the volume is measured to a standard of 15 degrees celcius, so it is indeed correct that lower temperature equals higher density, therefore you are getting more gas than it is showing. However, I believe this is negligible and you are saving very little. Personally I don't think it is worth the hassle and increased tension of having to fill up my gas as top priority in the morning, mornings are bad enough as is! Same goes for the fill-up speed, I think that the gas turning into vapor is true, and filling it up fast only agitates it more, creating more vapor, but doing it slowly might save you a very small fraction of a cent.

So overall, the information can be deemed true, but just not practical.

I do agree with the final point about the dirt being stirred. Although I'm not sure how well enclosed the tanks are, or how clean they are kept, but I'm sure that although they have anti-rust catalysts connected to the tanks, there is guaranteed to be some contamination.

Edit: Ah, just read neova's post. At least you have some confirmation.

Last edited by greyBLITZ; 09-14-07 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-14-07, 04:24 PM
bimbels
Rookie

It is more environmentally friendly to pump in the morning, because heat makes more gas vapors escape into the atmosphere while fueling.
Old 09-14-07, 05:54 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting.....
Old 09-14-07, 07:20 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Looks like it's time to place a phone call to Mythbusters!!!
Old 09-14-07, 07:25 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I also heard this. I remember reading something from somewhere that said to fill up in the morning or evening because gas expands with heat. Sounds reasonable but I don't know if it is true. Just to be safe, I try to avoid pumping gas during the day when it's hot.
Old 09-14-07, 08:01 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

this is a story our local news did a few months agohttp://kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=6...av=menu69_3_10
Old 09-14-07, 08:15 PM
itsalan
Driver School Candidate

I think canada has temperature corrected pumps, the U.S. does not.
Old 09-14-07, 08:36 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

In my post"In Canada the oil industry moved quickly to adopt automated temperature compensation at the retail pump," Congressman Kucinich said.
Old 09-14-07, 09:58 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

hate to bust your bubble but since tanks are underground the temp of the tank will likely not vary more than a few degrees, it should remain pretty close to 52 degrees and would only change during different times of the year. summer verses winter.

Quick Reply: Pumping gas in the morning?