Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bye Bye SC

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-07, 03:06 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bye Bye SC

Just picked my GS up after some service. My wife noticed that of all the models in the showroom, there was no SC. The service writer told us that the SC either already is or will shortly be discontinued. Don't know if this common knowledge or not. The story is that Lexus will wait and see how the folding top IS does before they decide whether they will come out with another model SC at some point in the future or just let it go. Doesn't sound like the LF-A has any impact on whether there will be another SC or not. Sorry if this is old news but I did a brief search and didn't see it mentinoned.
Old 09-15-07, 03:23 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

I believe this holds no weight. Service people and sales people RARELY know what's going on with LExus Corporate decisions. If I had a nickel for every WRONG thing one of those people has told me, I'd be the proud new owner of an LS600h Launch

Last edited by np20412; 09-15-07 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-15-07, 04:25 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
Just picked my GS up after some service. My wife noticed that of all the models in the showroom, there was no SC. The service writer told us that the SC either already is or will shortly be discontinued.
I am not sure about 2009, but there is already a 2008 SC out, with Pebble Beach special edition too, so just the fact that he thinks it's possible that the SC already is discontined puts his knowledge & credibility into question ...

Yes I've heard Lexus sales people said last year that a $150K Lexus super sports car will be available in a few months .. LAST YEAR
Old 09-15-07, 04:31 PM
LexFather

SC will continue and a new SC will come, Lexus just isn't focusing on the car now.
What is going to happen is Lexus/toyota focused on
1. SUVs
2. Hybrids
3. Sedans
4. Now coupes

the fun is coming soon!!! But don't hold your breath lol

Old 09-15-07, 04:59 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can only see the SC going in one of two ways:

1) Discontinued, or
2) Restyled/reengineered into some auto-industry benchmark-shattering status.

I'm hoping for the second scenario...
Old 09-15-07, 05:08 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Not sure what to say. I believe there is an SC listed as a 2008 model but as I said, the dealer doesn't even put one in the showroom. My wife and I had a chance to walk around a bit while they washed the GS and of the models sitting in front of the showroom, not one SC to be found. So while there may be some special model of it out now, you sure better ask to see it because they are not going out of their way to have any of them available. I can also agree that service and sales people aren't often the best informed but this service writer worked for this dealership for eight years and we had a pretty good chat, especially about new model problems. The opinion expresses was that a lot of people in the Lexus organization were smarting under the opinions expressed to them about how the SC430 was not anywhere near as desirable as the original SC300 and SC400 (personally I agree). The story ended with just saying that the opinion is that the buyer of the current SC might well be put into a folding top IS, not sure I can disagree with that either. Whether it returns or not will depend on what the response is to the folding IS. Take it for what you will but that was the discussion as of about five hours ago.
Old 09-15-07, 05:26 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Folding top IS will not be in the same class as the SC, it's actually a downgrade switching to an IS, with maybe the only possible exception being an IS-F hardtop convertible with the 5.0 V8 made available.

SC430 actually sold better than the SC300/400 despite having no cheaper SC300 6-cylinder model, & with more competition (CLK, etc.). The SC300/400 were discontinued for one year because of very poor sales before the SC430 came out. That will happen to the 430 too if they let it drag on for too long without any upgrades.
Regardless, what they said doesn't make much sense to me, since a new SC will be a totally different car from the SC300/400/430, & it's success will mainly depend on how good the new model is.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 09-16-07 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-15-07, 06:08 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Folding top IS will not be in the same class as the SC, it's actually a downgrade switching to an IS, with maybe the only possible exception being an IS-F hardtop convertible with the 5.0 V8 made available.

SC430 actually sold better than the SC300/400 despite having no cheaper SC300 V6 model, & with more competition (CLK, etc.). The SC300/400 were discontinued for one year because of very poor sales before the SC430 came out. That will happen to the 430 too if they let it drag on for too long without any upgrades.
Regardless, what they said doesn't make much sense to me, since a new SC will be a totally different car from the SC300/400/430, & it's success will mainly depend on how good the new model is.
I have to agree with you. While I was never really a buyer for the SC I viewed it as a SL competitor. I view the folding top IS as appealing to a convertible buyer. If that makes sense, I think an SC buyer is looking for a refined competitor to the SC. Maybe Lexus is thinking that with only one drop top, the SC attracted those customers and the IS folder would be competition. But in any event, the comment was that once the SC is gone, it's gone. It would be several years before they would decide on a product to fill that niche if they convinced themselves there was sufficient demand and obviously it would be a whole new car.

What the service writer said made perfect sense to me about the past models. Even here you could see in postings that the original SC 300/400 buyers were not the guys that were interested in the 430. And that original SC had a pretty loyal following. The current SC is a bit more biased towards the country club set while the first hardtops were a bit more at the coupe customer (maybe 6 series without trying to start any wars).

One thing is for sure, the SC is really long in the tooth and the sense I got is there is no replacement being worked on or even serious update. Once the GS460 is really here, the only model with the 430 would be the SC and they either drop it in or let it go. Might be a natural time to do it. One thing is for sure, all we have to do is wait a little bit to find out.
Old 09-15-07, 08:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

A convertible IS will one thing in common with the SC430 - it's likely to only have 'Kleenex box places' for back seats.
Old 09-15-07, 08:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Robarapta

SC430 actually sold better than the SC300/400 despite having no cheaper SC300 V6 model, & with more competition (CLK, etc.). The SC300/400 were discontinued for one year because of very poor sales before the SC430 came out. That will happen to the 430 too if they let it drag on for too long without any upgrades.
Great post. THe SC 430 is far more expensive and has sold much better.

Old 09-16-07, 01:52 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I expect Lexus to bring out a new SC eventually, and this time I hope it'll combine the best of the 1SC and 2SC...

...because the SC will have moved on to SL-size (like the 1SC), and keep the expense and ultra-luxe factor (like the 2SC), there is room below for the IS coupe/convertible (like the CLK/SLK).

Rumors were that they were considering a softtop IS which would have fit that segment. However a softtop was rejected. However, in any case an IS coupe coming out would put pressure on SC in terms of size; maybe the IS coupe will not be convertible at first?
Old 09-16-07, 08:22 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I don't think size should be an issue, look at Mercedes, they have CLK vert, SLK & SL. SLK & SL are both 2-seaters, they all are selling reasonably well for what they are.

IS coupe will have back seats with legroom for smaller people, I prefer the next SC remain practically a 2-seater like the current one, or do away with the back seats altogether & turn it into a storage shelve. Some improvement in the front seat room would be good for some, though not necessary at all for me.

I actually think they should have the IS convertible out ASAP, that's what more people will desire first I think, since the IS sedan is already like a 4-door coupe , so I personally think that there's not as much need for a 2-door non-convertible version.
Old 09-16-07, 08:45 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would have to agree the SC430 appears to be selling fairly well. I see lot's of them around. It's the people in them that tell the story. Most are women or older folks. The younger guys that can afford them are turned away by either the styling, lack of interior space or lack of comparable power to other makes in the price range.

Without going where we gone before on many threads, I'll say I would love to see the car continue with more front legroom, sleeker styling and optional power models like the 300/400 provided........to make it a little cheaper for those on the price fence. If they had a cheaper 330 model, think of how many enthusiasts would now be gobbling up used models and modding the heck out of them. I know some people don'tlike that because it reduces exclusivity, but sales are sales and popular cars sell. It just needs to be popular to more people.
Old 09-16-07, 01:43 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder how much of a market there would be for a new SC if an IS-F coupe/vert/hardtop 'vert is to be offered with superior power. Unless the SC gets a substantial boost in HP. The analogy of SLK-CLK-SL works, however, the bigger engine offered in the SLK is the smaller one in the CLK and the CLK biggest is the entry level SL (well only, aside from AMG). I dont think Lexus will offer multiple engines and if the IS-F is too similar in power, and then there is an LF-A, I don't see much of a market for the SC in the future. To be honest though, I dont like it (SC430 that is), never have, and maybe never will, so I dont really care if it's gone or not!
Old 09-16-07, 01:58 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

It will be gone just like any other car models that ever existed eventually would regardless of whether you like it, but you still want a new SC don't you ?

I don't think even an IS-F hardtop convertible with 420hp+ is a substitute for the SC because cars are not all about horse power, it's the interior appointments, the luxurious ambience, & all the other qualities that gives a car a higher class look and feel, that's what the SC is about, other than just being any other hardtop convertible.

Similarly you can't say a M3 sedan is a substitute for a 550i just because it's more powerful, so if there's a M3, you don't need a 550i, or if you have a 335i coupe/convertible, then you don't need the 6-series(nicest interior of all current BMW's IMO), or if you have a C63 AMG, then you don't need a E550, they are different cars in different classes.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 09-16-07 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Bye Bye SC