Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac replacing DTS and STS with single model

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-07, 08:11 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Cadillac replacing DTS and STS with single model

Cadillac replacing DTS and STS with single model

Monday 17 September 2007

Officials from Cadillac have confirmed that the DTS and STS (pictured) sedans will be dropped at the end of their respective product cycles in favour of a single luxury sedan. The premium large car market has shrunk considerably over the past five years, and this is reflected by sales of the DTS and STS, which were down 13.9% and 24.7% respectively from last year’s levels.

Cadillac’s general manager Jim Taylor has revealed to Automotive News that the new model replacing the cars will combine the most popular aspects of both but wasn’t willing to give a specific date for the launch.

Cadillac will also focus on launching a new entry-level model, previously reported to be a small RWD sedan. However, the first all-new model to arrive will be the BRX compact crossover due in 2009. Expect this new car to be priced from $28,000.
via motorauthority
Old 09-17-07, 08:43 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GAWD(!!!), is that an ugly beast.

The little openings on the front fenders (a la M3) are such an obvious "design for design sake's" fraud.

The CTS is a marginally attractive car.

I wouldn't wish this beast on my worst enemy.

Looks like a Chrysler 300 that "went wrong" on the operating table.

Jeez, it's almost as fugly as the Escalade (except nothing this side of a Buick Aztek could be that fugly).

Last edited by PsychDoc; 09-17-07 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-17-07, 08:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
GAWD(!!!), is that an ugly beast.

The little openings on the front fenders (a la M3) are such an obvious design for design sake's fraud.

The CTS is a marginally attractive car.

I wouldn't wish this beast on my worst enemy.

Looks like a Chrysler 300 that "went wrong" on the operating table.

Jeez, it's almost as fugly as the Escalade (except nothing this side of a Buick Aztek could be that fugly).
Seems like everyone these days is slapping on these faux fender vents. I think with this one, Caddy is going to loose their older conservative buyers, and not attract the younger buyer they covet. The CTS should do well IMO.
Old 09-17-07, 09:02 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To change the DTS and STS into one car is a good move. Both cars were too similar to one another.
Old 09-17-07, 09:02 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Seems like everyone these days is slapping on these faux fender vents. I think with this one, Caddy is going to loose their older conservative buyers, and not attract the younger buyer they covet. The CTS should do well IMO.
I don't even really like the fender vents on most of the cars. Even some of the originators.
Old 09-17-07, 09:15 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
To change the DTS and STS into one car is a good move. Both cars were too similar to one another.
that's the first thing I thought when i saw the thread title as well...it's like Cadillac had two flagships... one marginally competitive...and one just kind of useless.
Old 09-17-07, 10:32 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

thats just about right
Old 09-17-07, 10:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Really? Have you been in them? The STS is RWD and the DTS is FWD for one thing. I'm pretty sure the DTS is bigger than the STS.

DTS buyers tend to just want a large comfortable ride with lots of room for golf bags and stuff. They don't need every electronic gadget but the stereo should have good AM reception.

STS buyers are a bit younger, want a comfortable car, but one with more 'get up and go' and handles better. The STS is a surprisingly capable car.

But anyway, the CTS now is quite large, so it's really the STS that's been squeezed. So maybe they want to dump the FWD aspect of the DTS but keep nearer the size of the DTS because there's still definitely a market for really large sedans.

And the DTS/STS merger will be the flagship sedan so it's likely to be more expensive than the DTS.

I think another thing that has caused this is the success of the SRX, Cadi's car-like SUV. I don't like its looks, but functionally and comfort-wise it's very nice.
Old 09-17-07, 10:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

You're funny. Was talking to a neighbor who has a Lexus LX570 on order. She almost didn't do it though because she still finds it too bland. She said (quote) "When you see an Escalade you go 'wow'. When you see this, you go 'meh..'" We agreed though the new LX is better looking than the old one. I see the new LX like a jacked up LS460 on steroids. It's not bad but it doesn't look 'natural'. She's ordered it over the Escalade though cuz hubby has an LS430 and really likes it.
Old 09-17-07, 11:19 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
"When you see an Escalade you go 'wow'...

Of course, what she didn't tell you was what came after that.

Perhaps something like "...what an unmitigated, horrible piece of ***** that no one this side of Newark N.J. would be caught dead in."

Or "wow....why would anyone want to advertise that they have no taste, class or breeding."

Or "wow...my other car's a bling'd out 1997 Cadillac Sedan De Puke."

Last edited by PsychDoc; 09-17-07 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-17-07, 12:30 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Considering how the CTS is fairly large already, it makes sense to move the STS up and merge it with the DTS. That would also make the redesign of 2 vehicles easier.

Interesting that "the premium large car market has shrunk considerably over the past five years"...
Old 09-17-07, 01:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Officials from Cadillac have confirmed that the DTS and STS (pictured) sedans will be dropped at the end of their respective product cycles in favour of a single luxury sedan. The premium large car market has shrunk considerably over the past five years, and this is reflected by sales of the DTS and STS, which were down 13.9% and 24.7% respectively from last year’s levels.
Dummies. OF COURSE sales are down.

What do they EXPECT when they take the DeVille/DTS and STS (which for years had a dedicated customer base who liked easy, soft-riding cars), and try to BMW-ize them? You try and make these cars something they weren't meant to be, you pay the price. Many of these former customers are probably at Lincoln-Mercury dealers looking at Town Cars as we speak.

So, instead of turning them BACK into the cars they were meant to be, what does Cadillac do?........get rid of them all together.

No wonder GM is in such a mess. And they don't have much sympathy from me either. GM has done the same thing with Saturn......ruined the division with the demise of the successful plastic-bodied S-series and the substitution of metal-bodied, rebadged Opels and other GM products.
Old 09-17-07, 02:53 PM
LexFather

Bad decision. Caddy needs to not forget its HUGE audience it has had for years. These people are buying elsewhere now.

Old 09-17-07, 03:07 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Bad decision. Caddy needs to not forget its HUGE audience it has had for years. These people are buying elsewhere now.
I always that it was stupid that they had both, but not a smaller car. They need an IS, 3 series competitor and they don't have it.
Old 09-17-07, 03:32 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You just lost all credability.

Quick Reply: Cadillac replacing DTS and STS with single model