Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Touch Screen Nav Systems And German Cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-07, 02:04 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
I-drive is safer???

I have been using I-drive on our E70 X5 and I'll tell you. It's a disaster.

I can list 1000 reasons why I-drive can turn into I-Crash.

It's the most poorly designed navigation interface I've ever seen. Even 300$ pocket navigation has way better logical interface than I-drive.
I doubt you own an X5. The new model has the latest generation features and I have heard nothing but positive comments.

But anyway this whole thread is quite funny as folks keep comparing Nav and iDrive. iDrive has Nav but it is only one small part.

Just goes to show how little people actually understand the technology in cars. They are really good at whining about something they don't own to begin with. They must be right since BMW sales are so low.

From my viewpoint, there are two types that complain about Nav systems, the trade rag editors, and people who have nothing better to do.
Old 09-28-07, 02:15 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
I doubt you own an X5. The new model has the latest generation features and I have heard nothing but positive comments.

But anyway this whole thread is quite funny as folks keep comparing Nav and iDrive. iDrive has Nav but it is only one small part.

Just goes to show how little people actually understand the technology in cars. They are really good at whining about something they don't own to begin with. They must be right since BMW sales are so low.

From my viewpoint, there are two types that complain about Nav systems, the trade rag editors, and people who have nothing better to do.
I don't think any car today that has an integrated "nav system" only offers nav functions within that system.

Most "navigation systems" still offer quite a bit of functionality outside of just navigation. Not just BMW's. Though BMW does seem to offer more functionality and, more importantly (especially to those who do not like it), require more dependency on the system (due to a lack of physical controls/buttons outside of the nav screen) to perform quite a few normal tasks.

So if it's no longer a nav system (due to its multi functional aspect) what can we call it that isn't brand-specific? I mean I know there's iDrive a MMI and all that but what's a non brand specific term that encompasses them all other than "navigation system"?
Old 09-28-07, 02:55 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^I think the term "in-car infotainment system" is pretty commonly used these days to refer to such a thing.
Old 09-28-07, 03:01 PM
LexFather

BMW sales have NOTHING to do with NAV or I-drive. The majority of them are sold without the system. Anything could be related to sales, more likey lease deals and class leading incentives.

Owners whine about the system just as much as non-owners. Every mag review the past 5+ years whines about the system. People put up with things and some people like it.

Old 09-28-07, 03:06 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

I believe you're seeing comparison's between "Nav" and "iDrive" because that's how the manufacturers label them. AFAIK, Lexus doesn't have a trademarked name for their package that displays navigation and other in-car controls/information.

So in order for any criticism to have credibility, they need to own a BMW with iDrive? Why would someone have to own something they don't like? I have plenty of experience with my GF's 335 and my opinions are based on the numerous times I've driven the car and used iDrive. Are you also incorrectly assuming that all BMW car sales reflect units with iDrive?
Old 09-28-07, 04:22 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
BMW sales have NOTHING to do with NAV or I-drive. The majority of them are sold without the system. .
Every 5/6/7 series and X5 has iDrive standard. It is only an option on the entry level models.

So it is true the majority of entry level models do not have Nav. The same is true for Toyotas, Nissans, etc.
Old 09-28-07, 04:48 PM
LexFather

Every 5/6/7 series and X5 has iDrive standard. It is only an option on the entry level models.

So it is true the majority of entry level models do not have Nav. The same is true for Toyotas, Nissans, etc.
If its standard on the 5, I would be surprised. I thought it was standard with NAV? What about the 635 in Europe or all the other models in Europe? Or are you talking about the USA?

Since most of BMW sales (and everyone else) are entry level models, it is still safe to say the majority of BMWs and cars sold do not have NAV.

Old 09-28-07, 05:02 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If its standard on the 5, I would be surprised. I thought it was standard with NAV? What about the 635 in Europe or all the other models in Europe? Or are you talking about the USA?

Since most of BMW sales (and everyone else) are entry level models, it is still safe to say the majority of BMWs and cars sold do not have NAV.
iDrive is standard on the 5/6/7, X5 and soon to be X6.

iDrive+Nav is standard on the 6 and 7, optional on everything else. In the U.S. of course. Over seas, everything is an option.

You can tell the difference by looking at the screen. The nav screens are 8-9 inches wide. The non nav screens are about 6 inches wide.

Last edited by sdbrandon; 09-28-07 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-29-07, 10:25 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

I was drving around town today in the MB and thought about this thread...I drove my Lexus earlier in the week so I since my memory is still I try to use to command today and see which one I like more.. I can say that for some function the command is less distracted to use compare touch screen.. for example I got hungry and I need to find a resturant on command I can do it when i'm driving and be done 5 second..

and if I was driving my Lexus I would need to park the car and look at the screen to find to resturant..

I also use the command and entered few address when I was driving on freeway it was pretty easy... I can enter the address fast in the lexus too but need to exit and park the car to use it..

And one cool thing I like about MB command is that you can adjust angle of Nav screen.. to me that helps a lot..

overall I like the MB command a lot I still don't understand why so many other out there have problems with it.. it is so damn easy to use..

after using both touch screen in Lexus and command in MB the same week I still prefer command cause I can drive it and use it at the same time and 1 **** does everything
Old 09-30-07, 06:58 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by splitfire
overall I like the MB command a lot I still don't understand why so many other out there have problems with it.. it is so damn easy to use..
I think you will find that the majority of owners do not have problems with the MMI/I-Drive/Command systems.
Old 09-30-07, 07:32 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by splitfire
I was drving around town today in the MB and thought about this thread...I drove my Lexus earlier in the week so I since my memory is still I try to use to command today and see which one I like more.. I can say that for some function the command is less distracted to use compare touch screen.. for example I got hungry and I need to find a resturant on command I can do it when i'm driving and be done 5 second..

and if I was driving my Lexus I would need to park the car and look at the screen to find to resturant..

I also use the command and entered few address when I was driving on freeway it was pretty easy... I can enter the address fast in the lexus too but need to exit and park the car to use it..

And one cool thing I like about MB command is that you can adjust angle of Nav screen.. to me that helps a lot..

after using both touch screen in Lexus and command in MB the same week I still prefer command cause I can drive it and use it at the same time and 1 **** does everything
Bonus: it's well shielded from the sun.
Old 09-30-07, 11:43 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

on MB command I can also change setting on speedo to display Nav info

Old 10-01-07, 12:21 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dad's 2007 ML350 uses a joystick to select and input destinations.

With the amount of force he uses, I believe that the joystick will snap in half sometime soon.
Old 10-01-07, 05:56 PM
Necessary
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ToyotaFan
If I'm not mistaken, the second-gen Jaguar XK & the just-released XF have touch screen navi.

Looks like it's time to go British, rather than German.
except that jag is owned by Ford. Most of the components in them are in either lincolns or fords
Old 10-02-07, 10:47 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

I prefer my 335i Navi over our IS' Navi.

Quick Reply: Touch Screen Nav Systems And German Cars