Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Touch Screen Nav Systems And German Cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-07, 09:01 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touch Screen Nav Systems And German Cars

Not one of them has one!!!

Now call me silly but I find a decent nav system to be an absolutely essential feature in a car.

The ones that come in $50k+ cars are absoloutely primitive by todays standards.

I see dozens and dozens of aftermarket nav systems from multiple manufacturers that have touch screen nav systems, many with 'text to speech' circuitry (announces the street names..."turn left on Wilson Ave," etc.) selling for $300-600.

Is it too much to ask the snooty Germans to install a $300 (retail price...their price wholesale would be probably half that) in their $50k cars?
Old 09-17-07, 09:22 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So you would rather fingerprints, pizza grease, ketchup & mustard on your nav screen?
Old 09-17-07, 09:33 AM
ToyotaFan
Driver

If I'm not mistaken, the second-gen Jaguar XK & the just-released XF have touch screen navi.

Looks like it's time to go British, rather than German.
Old 09-17-07, 09:42 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

I agree, touch screens are the way to go. So you have to clean them occasionally but they are awesome to use. I have a touch screen DVD player in my truck, no Nav, and it is great.
Old 09-17-07, 10:53 AM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd rather have fingerprints than worn buttons hahah
Old 09-17-07, 10:54 AM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

a.k.a my 2000rx300 would b so much sicker if that screen was touch screen
Old 09-17-07, 11:01 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh here we go again...the neverending debates between touch screen lovers (such as myself) and I-Drive derivative proponents, although it would be cool to have both types of input systems at the same time, which I believe is what Infiniti is already doing. This is also one reason I love Dell laptops, as they usually offer both pointsticks (my preferred "mouse") and touchpads.
Old 09-17-07, 12:01 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Range Rover isnt german? British i guess?
Old 09-17-07, 12:50 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
So you would rather fingerprints, pizza grease, ketchup & mustard on your nav screen?
So you'd rather have fingerprints, pizza grease, ketchup & mustard on your i-drive ***** and joystick? You shouldn't be eating while driving...
Old 09-17-07, 01:28 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or go the Infiniti route. Offer both touch and joystick control lol.

I think the Germans went with joystick control because it allows the screen to be put further away from the driver, making it easier to re-focus the eyes. Also, it's easier to memorise the strokes and the rotations to get to a menu than to press onscreen buttons.

That said, I love touchscreens :P. They're easy to use and I don't have to scroll, just touch and go. The only issue is the first few weeks as you try to memorise the rough locations of the onscreen buttons. After that, you only need to reach out then just before you press, glance at the screen then back on the road and press the button.

I don't see any logic in those people who complain that they have to stare at the screen (and therefore crash) to press damn button.
Old 09-17-07, 01:55 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hartawan
Range Rover isnt german? British i guess?
American, ultimately, though for how long no one knows.
Old 09-17-07, 02:36 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

I use both touch screen on Lexus and Command system on MB I think I like the MB commend a little better.. but that's just me... they are both equally easy to use... driving under the sun the screen in the Lexus is kinda hard to see but in MB it is still very clear...
Old 09-17-07, 02:47 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Toyota's touch screen is just Nav .

German's have total car control/configuration options via an interface controller. Big difference.

One is Nav, the other is a lot of features of which Nav is one small part.

Since touch screens have glare, fingerprint and safety issues while driving, the Germans opted for a more safe solution.

This is the way of the world. more companies adopting this technique all the time. Touch screens are a cheap alternative because they require far less engineering. You just have to pull over to use them.
Old 09-17-07, 02:50 PM
LexFather

bitkahuna told it to me best a couple years ago( I want to say he posted here as well).
What computer system do we use that is German????

nuff said. Japanese Nav ftw!

Old 09-17-07, 02:54 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

German nav systems in general pretty much suck, though there are exceptions. Many Mercedes, some even costing well into the 6-figure range, use the most ridiculous early-90s looking tiny sized low-res low-color screen with a terrible 'keypad' type interface. It's pretty ridiculous. One of my coworkers just got a GL550 SUV and when I saw the nav I honestly had to try not laugh because I liked it otherwise... but I just don't know who could look at what is going into some of these high dollar german cars these days and not just laugh.

I actually like BMW's current nav system. The screen and interface is very nice. The i-drive interface has a steep learning curve, sure, but if you own the car and are technically inclined, you'll have it down in a couple of weeks no problem, and it's safer than using a touch screen with no tactile feel or touch to the input options. Plus making it a non-touch screen allows them to set it high up on the dash where it's well within the driver's line of site/vision when he's watching the road. It's definitely less distracting to the driver, IMO, once they get used to the interface.

Quick Reply: Touch Screen Nav Systems And German Cars