Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Game: Guess My New Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-07, 05:29 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! The RDX a nice functional choice while you wait for the LS600hL
Old 09-22-07, 06:25 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, everyone, and I guess a little explanation is in order. First, on the plates, the dealer installed them the day we got it--they said that part of the Acura luxury service is them taking care of all the DMV paperwork...

Anyway, we're taking advantage of Acura's 2.9% for 36 months financing. That means we can have this RDX paid off in less than 3 years of <$1K a month payments. We're going to pay a bit extra every month to get it paid off in closer to 2 years. Then it will be LS600hL time again!

Now how could I go from an LS600hL on order to a mid-line Acura in my driveway? The answer is that it's not a one-for-one swap. The LS was going to replace the GS; now we're keeping the GS longer and replacing the already-longer-in-the-tooth CL. And based on the fact that this vehicle will be driven not only by my wife and I but also our au pair, we didn't want anything TOO fancy or fast.

That being said, the RDX drives amazingly like the GS. Motor Trend got it to go 0-60 in 6.3 sec, while the best I've seen for the 2nd gen GS430 was 6.0 sec. The RDX has ample power on tap from the get-go, and at any speed will get up and run even faster.

It is absolutely loaded with technology and convenience features. While certainly not a match for the LS600hL (and again, it wasn't meant to be), it is a very serious step up from our '98 CL in terms of what it's got. Voice command nav, bluetooth hands-free, SH-AWD, dual-flow turbo, way more airbags... I could go on and on but won't bore you further.

Still, I mentioned earlier cost-cutting measures, and it lacks some things I really would have liked. There's no power passenger seat, only the rear-view mirror is auto-dimming, the interior materials actually seem a step or two down from the CL, only the front windows are one-touch up and down... These are minor nits, but the LS600hL just seems PERFECT, so I notice every little thing. Then again, like I keep saying, the RDX isn't a replacement for the LS600hL but merely a bridge to get us from here to there.

I'll keep everyone posted on my experiences. 1SickLex, of all people, can tell you how much I loved that CL, so the RDX has big shoes to fill. And mmarshall, if you're interested in doing a full review of the RDX I can probably set something up with you. Just let me know!
Old 09-24-07, 09:35 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on the RDX You get a lot for the money with this vehicle. The one downside I find with this vehicle imo is the 4 banger. Unlike 6's, 4 bangers get noisy when you rev it, and will have vibration syndrome. You will experience this once miles are put on it (through the steering wheel). Good luck with this vehicle none the less.
Old 09-24-07, 04:14 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far so good with the engine regarding power delivery and vibration. Believe me, I did (and to a certain extent do) have that concern. But I take solace in the fact that no one does small engines better than Honda. I almost can't believe that they get a vehicle this size to get up and go the way it does with a 4-cylinder engine!
Old 09-24-07, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
from here to there.

I'll keep everyone posted on my experiences. 1SickLex, of all people, can tell you how much I loved that CL, so the RDX has big shoes to fill. And mmarshall, if you're interested in doing a full review of the RDX I can probably set something up with you. Just let me know!
By now you probably know the car better than I do....you drive it every day. (I take it you bought it from Pohanka right there in Chantilly...that's where I bought my IS300 right next door). When I did the new MDX I compared the RDX with it and wrote up both.....I actually liked the RDX more despite its slightly stiffer ride and turbo lag. (usually it's the other way around with me...I like a granny suspension). But the RDX was a lot of fun in the curves, didn't have much SUV body roll, and, unlike most U.S.-market Honda/Acura engines, actually had low-end TORQUE once you got past the turbo lag.
Old 09-24-07, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iceman
So far so good with the engine regarding power delivery and vibration. Believe me, I did (and to a certain extent do) have that concern. But I take solace in the fact that no one does small engines better than Honda. I almost can't believe that they get a vehicle this size to get up and go the way it does with a 4-cylinder engine!
That's because Honda has FINALLY gotten around to forced induction for a U.S. market-engine. It deals with their VTEC 4-cylinder low-end torque problem once and for all........see my comments above.
Old 09-24-07, 06:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by fLEX-US
OMG, who cares. Just tell the whole world your a balla balla and get over yourself.
Well, some of us DO care....especially for our CL colleagues. It is always a nice event.......and something to talk about..... when a CL member gets a new car. (That is part of what CAR CHAT is for). I care enough to often send new-car owners a bottle of SCRATCH-OUT for the new paint to keep it looking nice.

(And I, for one, had some fun trying to guess what car it was).