Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Americans too fat to drive ? Car weight limits are a big, fat problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-07, 06:42 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Americans too fat to drive ? Car weight limits are a big, fat problem

Car weight limits are a big, fat problem

By Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY

Some motorists may be too big for their cars.

The growing girth of Americans is colliding with government-mandated warning labels on all 2006 or newer cars that list the maximum weight — passengers and cargo — that's safe to carry.

Many two-seat sports cars, including Mazda MX-5 Miata and Chevrolet (GM) Corvette, aren't certified to carry two 200-pound adults, according to a government formula aimed at tire safety.

Many five-passenger vehicles are rated about 850 pounds, maxxing out if their five occupants weigh more than 170 pounds each. Six 200-pounders would overload the seven-passenger Dodge Grand Caravan minivan.

The limitations are stamped on a "Tire and Loading Information" plate on the driver's side door frame. The ratings are an outgrowth of the 2000 Firestone tire recall, in which overloading was considered a factor that could cause tires to fail. Weight limits are important because automakers could claim they don't have responsibility for a component failure or a crash if a vehicle is overloaded.

Automakers say the limits reflect a mandated federal formula that requires them to rate passengers at 150 pounds each. The limit may not be realistic "given American propensity for food, but that is the regulation," says Mazda safety director Dan Ryan.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says automakers can set the weight limit at whatever they deem appropriate.

In 2004, the Centers for Disease Control pegged average weights at 190 pounds for men, 163 for women.

David Champion, Consumer Reports head of auto testing, says automakers aren't building cars that can stand up to loads of bigger passengers. A family car "should be capable of carrying five reasonably sized people, not five midgets."

At 265 pounds, Ron Larson of Henderson, Nev., says he and his 150-pound wife were unaware of the limitations two years ago when they leased a Cadillac XLR two-seater with a 362-pound capacity. "If the dealership knew there was a weight restriction, they should have told us," he says. And the information should be on the window sticker, not the door frame, he says.

The XLR can carry more, but hasn't been certified for it, says Terry Connolly, GM energy and drive quality director. "When we put a label on a vehicle, we need to be conservative."

Honda (HMC) spokesman Sage Marie says that beyond the 400-pound weight limit in the S2000 two-seater, "We can't be responsible for the vehicle's dynamic characteristics," although an undisclosed safety margin is built in.
MORE info : CLICK HERE
Old 09-18-07, 07:09 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same idea goes for motorcycles and scooters...

Old 09-18-07, 07:58 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My much beloved '72 Opel came with a set of nice Belgian-made Goodyears rated at only 850 lbs each. A couple 200 pounders in the cabin and our working load of 200 lbs of gear in the trunk put the rear end dangerously over the tire ratings, despite being well within the GVWR of the vehicle. I had to change to Michelins with an 1150 lb load rating just to be safe at highway speeds.
Old 09-18-07, 10:27 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

A relative of mine in Wales I recall had a Mini (no not the BMW one, the original one that is smaller) and that poor thing had a very hard time carrying him and his weight up those and down those lovely Welsh hills.
Old 09-18-07, 10:38 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learn that, airlines are costing 250 millions a year to carry those over weights Americans.

How about gasoline for the cars? May be they should diet before they buy Prius to go green.
Old 09-18-07, 11:49 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hahaha

The thing is, they were only looking at people and weight limits. Factor in the stuff people might have to carry and the no. of people allowed before the weight limit is met will be lower.

Hmm.. might explain why they need V8s SUVs and not V6s
Old 09-18-07, 03:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

This was a real problem with the Honda Insight. Honda rated the ENTIRE payload of the car (passengers and baggage alike, not counting fuel) at 350 lbs. That's two 175-lb. adults with NO luggage.

In early 2000, I got a chance to test-drive and review one of the first Insights to come into the DC area....Toyota had not released the original Prius yet in the American market (had to wait till September for that one).
I was struck by the car's small size (basically a plastic and aluminum CRX with fancy wheel skirts and a tapered rear end). When I went to check the tire-pressure sticker like I always do, I noted the 350-lb. weight limit. As I myself was some 270-280 lb. at the time (I have recently lost some weight in retirement) that obviously prevented a salesman from riding with me.....a fact that I was only too happy to point out, despite the dealership ride-along policy. So I got to drive it alone.
Old 09-18-07, 03:34 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 265 pounds, Ron Larson of Henderson, Nev., says he and his 150-pound wife were unaware of the limitations two years ago when they leased a Cadillac XLR two-seater with a 362-pound capacity. "If the dealership knew there was a weight restriction, they should have told us," he says. And the information should be on the window sticker, not the door frame, he says.
I don't know what the big deal is about. I remember when mmarshall did a write-up about the new 2007 XLR 2500HD Duramax Z71 Edition. You would have assumed they would have purchased one of those instead. Idiots!
Old 09-18-07, 04:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IronCobra
I don't know what the big deal is about. I remember when mmarshall did a write-up about the new 2007 XLR 2500HD Duramax Z71 Edition.
I never wrote that car up.....in CL or any other forum. You must be thinking of someone else....possibly SICKLEX, who also does reviews.

And IMO it's hard to believe that Cadillac would limit any XLR model to just 362 lbs. That is just twelve more than the toy Honda Insight....and the XLR has a big Northstar V8 and a Corvette platform.
Old 09-18-07, 04:32 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I never wrote that car up.....in CL or any other forum. You must be thinking of someone else....possibly SICKLEX, who also does reviews.
I hope you realize thats a joke right?

I dunno, if that XLR came with a winch then i would be sold

In response to below post, i was referring to him making a pun stating how you reviewed that make believe XLR 2500HD . Maybe I'm just over analyzing things :/.

Last edited by Jewcano; 09-18-07 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-18-07, 04:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I hope you realize thats a joke right?
Maybe so. But my reviews....and 1SICK's....are anything but a joke. And I hope that the 362-lb. XLR weight limit is a joke too. (If it isn't, Cadillac is in worse shape than we thought)
Old 09-18-07, 05:19 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This was a real problem with the Honda Insight. Honda rated the ENTIRE payload of the car (passengers and baggage alike, not counting fuel) at 350 lbs. That's two 175-lb. adults with NO luggage.
I believe all quoted payload includes passenger and baggage. Fuel and other liquids are already included in the car's curb weight.

Maybe so. But my reviews....and 1SICK's....are anything but a joke. And I hope that the 362-lb. XLR weight limit is a joke too. (If it isn't, Cadillac is in worse shape than we thought)
Umm.. mmarshall, an XLR diesel does not exist. IronCobra was mocking the couple that drove it.
Old 09-18-07, 05:24 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brother, I've got to get you out of the house . I was just pointing at the fact that you do great write-ups on all new cars you come across and the fact that if their were such an incredibly unlikely XLR 2500HD you would probably be the one to review it.

I need to buy you a beer
Old 09-18-07, 10:57 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by IronCobra
I don't know what the big deal is about. I remember when mmarshall did a write-up about the new 2007 XLR 2500HD Duramax Z71 Edition. You would have assumed they would have purchased one of those instead. Idiots!
WTH are you thinking man???

It should be the 3500HD

HOly cow-362 lbs? His wife needs eat a little more to balance it out

Umm MMarshall, if you still didn't get it, IronCobra is joking.....I'll buy you one too

Is that like a big woman trying to fit into a size 5 shoes? (Al Bundy reference)
Old 09-18-07, 11:41 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell I didn't get it too can I get a beer? O and that was a joke too unless you guys are feeling generous.

Quick Reply: Americans too fat to drive ? Car weight limits are a big, fat problem