Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Teen purchase of an IS300

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-07, 08:47 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by biggie27
if u are worried about the IS being too much of a sports car for him, and it looks like he was intrested in the RX why not see of there are any used RX's in that price range, maybe u can change his mindset from that boy racing mindset into that pimpin SUV mindset :P, or maybe an FJ cruiser u might find a used one in that price range, maybe alittle more but it is a nice new truck thats not fast and looks pretty cool and safe, or look into the infinity FX35 Im pretty sure a 16 year old would love that
He just wanted to drive it because it was a brand new car, I doubt he'll want to own one. Can anyone explain why the IS is so expensive to insure? It's not like an Integra or Civic, top stolen cars in the country or anything like that...I'm a bit baffled by it.

We're also considering a 2000-ish ES300. He's not too stoked about it.
Old 09-21-07, 09:01 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix.
He just wanted to drive it because it was a brand new car, I doubt he'll want to own one. Can anyone explain why the IS is so expensive to insure? It's not like an Integra or Civic, top stolen cars in the country or anything like that...I'm a bit baffled by it.

We're also considering a 2000-ish ES300. He's not too stoked about it.
I don't know exactly why but my guess is just because its a lexus, so replacement parts will be more expensive than a civic or integra. Not to mention, he is 16, and in a sporty car, which I am sure you have been reminded of that several times.

I first learned to drive in a 99 es300 and I loved it! Maybe it was just my personal preference, but I was thrilled. Then again, most 16 years old tend to lean towards the "coolest, fastest looking" car they can get.

To put in basic terms, Lexus is a fancy Toyota. Why not get him a Scion TC, like mentioned before, and pay less money, but still have the safety and reliability of a Lexus?
Old 09-21-07, 09:18 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

get him a fuel friendly car, he'll thank you in the long run .
Old 09-21-07, 10:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

is300 was driven by a lot of stupid teenagers who did lots of stupid teenager things in it

no love in him for early 2GS?
Old 09-22-07, 11:31 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
is300 was driven by a lot of stupid teenagers who did lots of stupid teenager things in it

no love in him for early 2GS?
We never considered about the GS. We thought it would be expensive and fast...maybe it's not?
Old 09-22-07, 12:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

early 2nd gen (98-00) GS300 should be right in your pricerange

its older than the 1IS so the mileage is sometimes a little higher but the 2jz and 1uz motors are pretty bulletproof as long as basic maint. is performed.
Old 09-22-07, 12:22 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for consideration of the ES, I offered my 2004 to him and he refused;
OK, I'm probably flying off the handle here but this statement makes me think the spoiled little brat doesn't deserve a car at all. The little punk turns 16, gets his license, and then starts making demands about what kind of vehicle he will be given?!

So if you put my rant aside, I agree with what others have said here. You could do a lot worse than an IS300 for a starter car.
Old 09-22-07, 02:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Iceman
OK, I'm probably flying off the handle here but this statement makes me think the spoiled little brat doesn't deserve a car at all. The little punk turns 16, gets his license, and then starts making demands about what kind of vehicle he will be given?!

So if you put my rant aside, I agree with what others have said here. You could do a lot worse than an IS300 for a starter car.
i didnt wanna say anything but if you offered me a free car at 16 id take it even if it was a pinto with bullseye on the back
Old 09-22-07, 08:18 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Iceman

I agree with that actually, but I chose not to say anything to him since he was my nephew, not my son. My sister and brother-in-law could care less; as long as he's satisfied and shuts up everything is fine.

I was thinking about a first-generation SC300/400 near the end of it's life cycle, I recall seeing a 2000 SC400 for about $17,000 at a BMW dealership...any feedback on this though?
Old 09-22-07, 08:26 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

17k is a bit steep but it is a 2000. remember the 300 is slower than the 400 so if ur concerned about power or whatnot then stick with the 300. good luck! and why are you buying the car lol.
Old 09-22-07, 08:47 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

get a car that both of you can enjoy and share (since you're paying for it.. he better share) that way he will have to respect you and the car by not doing anything stupid with it.
Old 09-22-07, 09:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
17k is a bit steep but it is a 2000. remember the 300 is slower than the 400 so if ur concerned about power or whatnot then stick with the 300. good luck! and why are you buying the car lol.
yea, 17k is a bit much, get him a pre VVTi SC400 if u dont trust him with HP.

(i learned to drive on a camry )
Old 09-22-07, 09:46 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My sister and brother-in-law could care less; as long as he's satisfied and shuts up everything is fine.
That is a frightening statement, but your sister and brother-in-law are not alone in this approach to parenting. I'm afraid too many of our young families are buying off the kids with expensive toys rather than spend quality time with them. A weekend with the kids might interfere with the golf, tennis, dinner party, etc. the parents are planning for THEIR entertainment.

Ignoring the kid would be terrible - just buy him something expensive to play with and he'll be OK with it. What ever became of TIME, attention, and love? How are they ever going to get to know their children unless they get down on the floor and play with them for at least a couple of hours a week? Parents need plenty of involvement with their children, otherwise they are just household staff. You can't always blame the parents - too often that's how they were raised . . .
Old 09-22-07, 09:55 PM
liquid2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by biggie27
if u are worried about the IS being too much of a sports car for him, and it looks like he was intrested in the RX why not see of there are any used RX's in that price range, maybe u can change his mindset from that boy racing mindset into that pimpin SUV mindset :P, or maybe an FJ cruiser u might find a used one in that price range, maybe alittle more but it is a nice new truck thats not fast and looks pretty cool and safe, or look into the infinity FX35 Im pretty sure a 16 year old would love that
haha dude, RX and FX35 don't run 15k here in the US. The Rx & FX that a teenage boy would like would run even 30k used.

Btw, If he likes to "look good" or show off, try to find him a 03 camry with some rims, thats acceptable to teenagers and insurance will not be that high. I remember reading about the IS300 being on the top 5 most expensive cars to insure. BTW insurance would be crazy on a sc too..

Last edited by liquid2; 09-22-07 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-22-07, 11:31 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for 2nd gen gs.

Quick Reply: Teen purchase of an IS300