Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Teen purchase of an IS300

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-07, 12:16 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
That is a frightening statement, but your sister and brother-in-law are not alone in this approach to parenting. I'm afraid too many of our young families are buying off the kids with expensive toys rather than spend quality time with them. A weekend with the kids might interfere with the golf, tennis, dinner party, etc. the parents are planning for THEIR entertainment.

Ignoring the kid would be terrible - just buy him something expensive to play with and he'll be OK with it. What ever became of TIME, attention, and love? How are they ever going to get to know their children unless they get down on the floor and play with them for at least a couple of hours a week? Parents need plenty of involvement with their children, otherwise they are just household staff. You can't always blame the parents - too often that's how they were raised . . .
When I meant that they wouldn't care less, I meant the wouldn't care less about the make/model of the car my nephew wants. My sister and her husband are very tight knit with their kids and they spend a lot of family time together. They just feel that he earned a car (based on his academic and sports achievement) and since they're well-off, it would be something he likes. Some would call him spoiled...I know I do.

How are the 2-gen GS prices and reliability? How does it match the IS in safety? Any problems that we should be concerned with when we're looking at the car?
Old 09-24-07, 09:17 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My sister found a 2003 L-Tune IS. He likes it so he'll have it by the end of the week. Although it is much high than his spending limit he'll stick with the IS for at least another 6 years (2 years of high school, 4 for university). Thanks for all the help!
Old 09-24-07, 09:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Felix.
My sister found a 2003 L-Tune IS. He likes it so he'll have it by the end of the week. Although it is much high than his spending limit he'll stick with the IS for at least another 6 years (2 years of high school, 4 for university). Thanks for all the help!
Thats great and a rare car. Please post picks and tell him to join!

Old 09-25-07, 08:15 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any car is suitable for a well-taught and disciplined teenager.
Old 09-25-07, 04:59 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was I the only one who wasn't the most considerate and defensive driver as a teenager? I am very glad I did not drive an expensive or sporty car as my first. I knew a lot of classmates who drove new BMW's and Benz's (went to HS in Orange County, CA where many kids are spoiled); many of them were damaged in the High School parking lot and from getting into accidents. He should get more experience with a beater car, then get the IS.
Old 09-26-07, 01:17 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
That is a frightening statement, but your sister and brother-in-law are not alone in this approach to parenting. I'm afraid too many of our young families are buying off the kids with expensive toys rather than spend quality time with them. A weekend with the kids might interfere with the golf, tennis, dinner party, etc. the parents are planning for THEIR entertainment.

Ignoring the kid would be terrible - just buy him something expensive to play with and he'll be OK with it. What ever became of TIME, attention, and love? How are they ever going to get to know their children unless they get down on the floor and play with them for at least a couple of hours a week? Parents need plenty of involvement with their children, otherwise they are just household staff. You can't always blame the parents - too often that's how they were raised . . .
Excellently put - I couldn't agree more - plus the thought of a 16 year old in a 200bhp car just fills me with dread.