Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Teen purchase of an IS300

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 07:04 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Teen purchase of an IS300

I went to my sister's house several weekends ago for my nephew's birthday celebration; he turned 16. And being 16, the first thing he did was schedule a drive test and pass with flying colors.

We went stopped by three dealerships last night and he didn't take serious interest in anything. That is, until he laid his eyes on a black 2001 IS300. After I dropped him off at his house and went home, my sister called me and told me her concern; he wants the Lexus. After some research I discovered IS300's around 4-6 years old cost below $15,000 (the price max for his car) and hold strong reliability and quality.

Me and my family's main concern is whether or not the IS300 is a suitable first car. It has an adequate amount of power, lots of luxury appointments teens will appreciate, and very reliable even though it's 6 years old. We also have no clue about the insurance rates. Your input is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-20-07, 07:06 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Insurance for an IS300 is expensive, now add in young driver it gets real expensive
Old 09-20-07, 07:48 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Depends a good student discount helps alot
Old 09-20-07, 08:07 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

student discount or not, insurance for a is300 is extremely expensive and with a car that nimble, he is sure to get into some trouble.
Old 09-20-07, 08:09 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

good car, scratch that, great car. very reliable, good quality, resonably efficient. insurrance = not so cheap, but i'm in canada so i'll leave that so other ppl in cali to answer that one.

suitable 1st car? sure thing; safe, reliable, good handling, probably wont bankrupt the kids bank acct, not super fast (unless you start in on the mods, there there are many possibilities)

now, i know many people say its a bad idea to buy a kid a well performing car because it encourages them to blah blah what ever ... if the kid is going to behave badly w. a car it wont matter what the car is
Old 09-20-07, 08:20 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ummmm, I've heard some nasty stories about IS's and problems.....personally what i heard, might not ring true for all of them.

As for a first car, get something a tad cheaper, but by no means unsafer. He can get an older car which will cost ALOT less and be just as safe, but that will be less painful incase he damages it, which MOST kids do at that young age. I got lucky and didn't destroy either of my cars.

My opinion, first car = cheapo get around car. After he gets a few years of experience on the road, then by all means go for an IS.

*Tip, go with a nice FWD car as a first one. If he doesn't have alot of driving in the rain experience then that would help DRAMATICALLY. GL.

15,000 is WAY to much to spend on a kids first car.....usually 3000-7000 is average range.
Old 09-20-07, 08:22 PM
LexFather

Great first car but they must be careful. The IS is a favorite among the youth and you will here "I NEED A TURBO" soon, lol.

It has been ranked the safest car in class.

Old 09-20-07, 09:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,363 Likes on 1,549 Posts

There's worse choices for a first car and that's certainly not a slow car. But I'd actually rather see a young person in a car that handles reasonably well, and the IS certainly does.

I'd get the young man into a defensive driving course too!
Old 09-20-07, 09:29 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

That's for all of the feedback guys...it's helping a lot. How about the first generation SC and GS models? Are they safe, reliable, etc.? Or any other recommendations would be great; he prefers a Asian luxury models however (RSX, G35, etc.). Kids these days...
Old 09-20-07, 09:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Felix.
That's for all of the feedback guys...it's helping a lot. How about the first generation SC and GS models? Are they safe, reliable, etc.? Or any other recommendations would be great; he prefers a Asian luxury models however (RSX, G35, etc.). Kids these days...
I would go for the IS, being its a newer model with newer tech like more airbags, VSC, HIDs, etc. Not that first gen Lexus have issues but they are older and young people tend to beat up their cars.

Old 09-20-07, 09:49 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The first gen SC and GS models are reliable and safe, but they downside is that they're old so lots of things will need to be checked.

IS300 or not, you can stick a 16 year old in a geo metro and he'll still do some damage.

But unlike a geo, the IS300 is safer. Like others have said, insurance is quite a lot. Definitely not the kind of money you'll want to spend on a 16 year old, especially if its his first car.
Old 09-20-07, 10:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

get him a GS400 so he has nearly no potential for motor mods
(yes, parts are available, no, they are in no way affordable )

at least then all hel be able to do on his budget are rims tint audio and susp. ?
Old 09-20-07, 11:00 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He WILL probably RACE in it.
I know 4 people with is300's and with 3 C230's in my school, and they have ALL raced.....
But then again.. I really like the is300 (but i like the 350 better ) I wish i could have gotten that as a first car.
Insurance will be very high.
I pay $1200 for insurance/year with a good student discount.
My friend with the is300 pays $1900/year
Are you considering an 00-01 es300.
Old 09-20-07, 11:11 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Great car, safe in every aspect, reliable, $23.95 oil change, once again safe, and he'll shop the girls. I say go for it.
Old 09-20-07, 11:29 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tuan92129
He WILL probably RACE in it.
Insurance will be very high.
My friend with the is300 pays $1900/year
Are you considering an 00-01 es300.
We all know he'll race in it; my question is whether or not the IS will have enough safety aids to prevent, if not lessen the severity of the accidents which might occur.

I addressed the insurance issue with him. He's willing to find a job and work for it! $2000 divided by 12 months comes out around $170 a month which hopefully is enough by working weekends only (school is a big priority). If he works for the insurance I doubt he'll have enough money to modify the car, which is another good thing.

As for consideration of the ES, I offered my 2004 to him and he refused; he "prefers a attention getter instead of a grocery getter", even though he drove it twice to school. He asked if he could drive the RX (it's less than 2 weeks old) and I told him no, because it's another grocery getter car.

Keep the feedback coming guys, it's helping! Thanks.

Quick Reply: Teen purchase of an IS300