Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why are Lexus interiors so BLAND?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-07, 01:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Lexus interiors are no different than their Toyota cousins. These car are made by Toyota Motor Corp. Bland? I wouldn't say the interiors are bland, they are just too simialr to the cookie cutter models from the parent company. If the consumer wants blackwood for their Camry or Highlander, it can be ordered through the aftermarket or your local Toyota parts counter.

Take a look at the 2008 Highlander interior... Lexus like?
[/IMG]
1. You are seriously reaching.
2. Toyota interiors are some of the best for a non luxury brand. If you cannot tell the difference between a Toyota and a Lexus interior, you are not trying at all.

As time has passed the 2 companies have grown further apart in interiors. I almost can't believe I read that.

Old 09-21-07, 01:54 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
One of the things I loved about my GS400 was the SOFT rubbery/plastic dash material used. I'd never seen anything like that on any other car. Since then they've gone back to the rock hard stuff it seems.

DASH - my GS400's interior was nothing like any Toyota except maybe for a few switches. Nice walnut. Nice 'gathered' leather in the doors above the armrests. Carpet was very good. And that Highlander interior looks like crap to me. A hodge podge of shapes, textures, and surfaces.
Yes, the 2nd gen GS interior was quite unique in its day. Now, the current generation Lexus GS and other Lexus models share interior design, parts, and ergonomics. Cost saving measures perhaps? I thought Toyota was the # selling automaker on the planet. Funnel some money, and offer some truly unique interiors for the consumer.

Once again for reference:

Toyota Highlander interior

Lexus LX470 interior

Old 09-21-07, 02:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i agree it would be great if they can have more interior choices, like wood, leather, seat options, etc... that would really bring a lot more customizations to the cars themselves

but all that though, only if there is no major price increase overall
Old 09-21-07, 02:41 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
i agree it would be great if they can have more interior choices, like wood, leather, seat options, etc... that would really bring a lot more customizations to the cars themselves

but all that though, only if there is no major price increase overall
I don't necessarily think it would even have to come at a cost premium. If nothing else, I really feel like the IS and GS should have more compelling interior choices like camel and/or saddle because such colors are sporty and rich, and would match the demeanor of a luxury sport sedan. I would love to see a black or dark blue GS with a camel colored interior...the contrast and richness of color would really set the car off, as opposed to...again...black, grey, or tan.

Wood, like I mentioned, is a whole other battle. Why does the 3GS have only ugly purple-hued wood with black leather? How much better would a dark maple color look, like that on the new GX? I don't understand why anyone isn't thinking of these things at Lexus. I even really like the grey leather with maple wood, as in the RX and ES. Why isn't this an option on the GS? Why only the ugly grey wood?

Someone, I think bitkahuna, brought up a good point about how some of these things are rather opinionated and may not fly off the lot like a black, tan or grey. I do agree, however I do think that to someone who is looking for richer wood and leather it will make a huge difference, and to someone who is not, they probably won't care too much that a different combination is available if the car has the options and price that they want. Take a saddle color for example. I see many BMWs, Mercedes, and Audis literally on a DAILY basis with a dark, deep brown color leather. I have to imagine that an IS, GS, or LS with such a color would not be rotting on a backlot somewhere because of a more opinionated color. Again, I think that just offering more options would be huge for a select group of customers who feel like the Lexus interior pallet is bland. If they even offered two or three woods on each leather combination, I have to believe that either 1) someone is going to prefer one wood over another and appreciate the detail and ability to choose, or 2) not really pay enough attention to care about the difference between a dark and medium maple wood. I think more options could only be a winning scenario for Lexus, even if they continue to make and option cars on a less flexible manufacturing schedule than the Germans.
Old 09-21-07, 02:54 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

One of the things I loved about my GS400 was the SOFT rubbery/plastic dash material used. I'd never seen anything like that on any other car. Since then they've gone back to the rock hard stuff it seems.

DASH - my GS400's interior was nothing like any Toyota except maybe for a few switches. Nice walnut. Nice 'gathered' leather in the doors above the armrests. Carpet was very good. And that Highlander interior looks like crap to me. A hodge podge of shapes, textures, and surfaces.
Definitely the GS300/400 was probably top notch for its time back in 98.. Now we take a look 10 years later and Lexus still has one of the top interiors in its class.. Although with the new models of cars coming out like the new Cadillac CTS its pretty nice for an American interior... Now if only Lexus would rub off on Ford maybe they would sell more cars..
Old 09-21-07, 05:01 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like their interiors, i dont need over the top stuff. who am i? donald trump, **** i dont need everything gold looking
Old 09-21-07, 07:03 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Yea, everyone basically said it. Not really bland, but they do need to work on customization.

Lexus still has way to much of Toyota's mass production mentality IMO.
Old 09-21-07, 07:09 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm with you on it, I love the interior in my GS, I love the gathered leather on the doors and seats and soft dashboard, and I think new Lexus models took a step down when it comes to interiors.

As far as color choices... sure that would be nice, but I personally don't care, I only like tan interiors, and wouldn't opt for anything different.
Old 09-21-07, 07:19 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It would be great if somehow Lexus can put its super-manufacturing finesse into a customization system that is still high quality. If they have a system which matches different wood pieces throughout different factories and brings them together for the finished car (grain uniformity), maybe they can advance that further for customer requests...all part of the Lexus service pledge.
Old 09-22-07, 04:21 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

agree. Things aren't better in the Toyota front. Most of our cars get the grey interior unless you order beige or med/dark green then you get a beige interior. And if you want black, you must order the SE or sport model.

I'd like to see a greater range of colours within a particular colour combo. For example, I never knew so many shades of grey could be used in the interior of the new Camry. It really is quite dreary.

If they had something like a black dashboard/door panel and a beige interior (sorta like the "Lemon" interior of the BMW 3 series), that would be nice.

Or what about the blue/beige interior combo of the Civic Hybrid. That looks quite striking.
Old 09-22-07, 10:14 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

the color choices are absolutely boringggggggg the grey color is so light theres almost no difference between the cashmere/beige except for the hue. at least hondas grey color is a darker grey which is nice if you dont want black or beige. i wont even go into european cars. have you seen the red color thats avaiable in bmws and audis? now thats a real color choice or alcantara?
Old 09-23-07, 03:30 PM
Mobstar
Pole Position

What leather color is this?

Old 09-23-07, 04:59 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I believe that's called "Red X", and it's only available on German cars.
Old 09-24-07, 10:36 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Lexus interiors don't have any real design to speak of. It'll be a while before they come into their own in terms of design.

Right now, they're just a collection of buttons and controls in a design that makes ergonomic sense. There is a lot of truth in the statement that "a Lexus is a glorified Toyota". They built their reputation on value, quality and reliability. It's only in the years forward that we'll see a Lexus that will (may) attempt to forge its own path and identity. For now, they're satisfied copying German companies and trying to do them one better.
Old 09-24-07, 10:58 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rosskoss
Lexus interiors don't have any real design to speak of. It'll be a while before they come into their own in terms of design.

Right now, they're just a collection of buttons and controls in a design that makes ergonomic sense. There is a lot of truth in the statement that "a Lexus is a glorified Toyota". They built their reputation on value, quality and reliability. It's only in the years forward that we'll see a Lexus that will (may) attempt to forge its own path and identity. For now, they're satisfied copying German companies and trying to do them one better.
What? Germans copy Lexus now in many aspects, just look at interior design. Lexus brought swoopy interiors and electroluminescent lights and LED interiors for instance.

If can have your opinion about Lexus interior but the EXPERTS have called Lexus and Audi interiors the best in the business for the past 5+years.

Lets take the RX 300 for instance. It brought the high NAV screen to market and even before NAV, it had the "star trek" screen now a lot of other companies use. Also look at the curved wood which is now used by other companies. Its not breathtaking, but it was ahead of its time.

Quick Reply: Why are Lexus interiors so BLAND?