Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why are Lexus interiors so BLAND?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-07, 11:04 AM
LexFather

I think a lot of it is people need to get their heads out of German booties and understand not all interiors but be German in nature. Lexus interiors are the Japanese interpretation of luxury. It will always differ from what the Germans offer. People need to accept the differences.

Here is the first LS 400 interior in 1989.

Here is the new SL interior of the time

Old 09-24-07, 11:05 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus interiors are very nice in general and the interior of the LS460 is
absolutely top notch.

All the hatorade about Toyota interiors does not wash since Toyota
has purposely cheapened the interior of pretty much ALL their cars.
Check out an Avalon interior and it does not even compare favorably
with the interior of an ES.
Old 09-24-07, 11:50 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

On the contrary, I think the Avalon interior is better looking and higher quality than the ES.
Old 09-24-07, 11:54 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What? Germans copy Lexus now in many aspects, just look at interior design. Lexus brought swoopy interiors and electroluminescent lights and LED interiors for instance.

If can have your opinion about Lexus interior but the EXPERTS have called Lexus and Audi interiors the best in the business for the past 5+years.
No, experts have called Audi interiors the best for years and that's correct. Audi interiors are stellar - design, materials, control surfaces, buttons, ***** etc. It's very well done.

Lexus interiors walk all over the BMW junk (and nowadays, MB as well), but they're not as good as Audi.

With the exception of the LS (and the SUVs), I'm not too impressed with the material quality rest of the Lexus interior lineup either. The ES has an especially cheap feeling interior for a luxury car. (and if you want to talk about rattles, this is your car).

Lexus is never lacking in technology, but the designs leave much to be desired.

And when I mentioned Lexus copying the Germans, I should have been more clear. I wasn't referring to interiors, but cars as a whole.
Old 09-24-07, 11:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rosskoss
On the contrary, I think the Avalon interior is better looking and higher quality than the ES.
Yes, we are clear you don't think Lexus interiors are much better than Toyotas. Funny thing is that Avalon interior is better than some German luxury brands as well. You can't say the Avalon is better than the ES but not this

Hell the Buick Enclave gives them all a run for their money

Old 09-24-07, 11:58 AM
LexFather

No, experts have called Audi interiors the best for years and that's correct. Audi interiors are stellar - design, materials, control surfaces, buttons, ***** etc. It's very well done.

Lexus interiors walk all over the BMW junk (and nowadays, MB as well), but they're not as good as Audi.

With the exception of the LS (and the SUVs), I'm not too impressed with the material quality rest of the Lexus interior lineup either. The ES has an especially cheap feeling interior for a luxury car. (and if you want to talk about rattles, this is your car).

And when I mentioned Lexus copying the Germans, I should have been more clear. I wasn't referring to interiors, but cars as a whole.
I am going to ask you to post some facts up at this point.
Here are some
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=interior
BB Marketing Research's Q2 Brand Watch Study Results Announced - Lexus Best Interior

Old 09-24-07, 01:57 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Yes, we are clear you don't think Lexus interiors are much better than Toyotas. Funny thing is that Avalon interior is better than some German luxury brands as well. You can't say the Avalon is better than the ES but not this
It IS better IMHO.

I already said that many recent german interiors are junk - especially from BMW and MB. I would easily take that Avalon interior over anything from BMW (with the exception of the 7 series).

The new Enclave interior looks nice but I'm not sure it is better than the Avalon in materials. Also, some details are still lacking like the GM corporate radio which ruins the entire interior design for me.
Old 09-24-07, 01:58 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

I am going to ask you to post some facts up at this point.
Here are some
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=interior
BB Marketing Research's Q2 Brand Watch Study Results Announced - Lexus Best Interior
No facts - interiors are subjective. With the exception of certain criteria like interior noise levels, you can't really post "facts".

Those studies mean little to me. Ward's selected Lincoln's MKZ as the best interior this year. If you've ever been in that car, you'd be scratching your head at that decision as well.
Old 09-24-07, 02:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

I agree that Audies interiors look good, however they have real issues on longetivity of their interiours... button paint on A3/A4 and switches buring on almost every model is crazy...

My friends awesome A4 looked like crap 14 months later, with wheel peeled off, 2-3 buttns burned out and paint on switches peeled off... Autoweek's long term review of A3 in 2007 had the same issues... It is crazy.

But design wise, they look really good...
Old 09-24-07, 02:19 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hell the Buick Enclave gives them all a run for their money
Indeed, the Avalon's interior is very well done. However my minor gripe is the cheap radio cover. It's flimsy to use and feels like cheap plastic (like the one used in the Scion tC). Other than that, the interior is what I expect from an Avalon. The soft white buttons for the climate controls are a nice touch.
Old 09-24-07, 02:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

It's only one car, but after nearly 17 months of ownership and driving on a lot of crummy roads, mine is still very solid with no rattles at all.
Old 09-24-07, 03:39 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

I'll agree that the color choices are a little dry (I would have loved an option with bright red CF highlights ), but the lines and the curves and the shapes are beautiful, IMO. At least on my car.

Some of the buttons around the Nav system could use a little sylizing, but I'll live.
Old 09-24-07, 03:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I do think Lexus and Audi are at the top of the list when it comes to interior design, although some Lexus vehicles with lesser options do seem a bit bland, as do some Audi vehicles with the same lower packaging.
Old 09-24-07, 07:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Well, this is obviously subjective. I like the latest E-class interior better than a GS for example.

I think the S class interior is spectacular in quality of materials and fit, and less 'busy' than the LS460. I really like the LS though, except that cheesy metallic-painted gray plastic they use on the center stack.

With the exception of the LS (and the SUVs), I'm not too impressed with the material quality rest of the Lexus interior lineup either. The ES has an especially cheap feeling interior for a luxury car. (and if you want to talk about rattles, this is your car)
It's all becoming pretty much cost driven. The ES isn't exactly an expensive car and the interior pretty much reflects that. The MB C class has a similar issue.

I think the IS interior is very pleasing to the eye, very 'tidy', but cost constraints mean the materials can't be too fancy. I think the new LX570 interior is a GREAT design!

I don't see it...
Old 09-26-07, 02:15 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
You mean the vinyl or pseudo-vinyl interiors that many automakers used in the 1990s? Thing is, almost NOBODY is using those interior materials anymore. It might be that those materials were dangerous to the environment as well as dangerous to car owners. Who knows.

As for the Highlander, whether you like it's looks or not, it IS a high quality interior.
The Highlander has a nice designed interior but there are a lot of hard plastics.

Quick Reply: Why are Lexus interiors so BLAND?