Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why are Lexus interiors so BLAND?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-07, 09:38 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why are Lexus interiors so BLAND?

...well they are not all bland, and I don't mean bland overall, but really...is anyone else getting sick of our choices for interior colors?

I have mentioned it a few times before and I feel like Lexus needs to diversify it's interior pallet past black, grey, or cashmere leather, and grey or brown dashes. We have the same color choices as those shopping for a Toyota Corolla or Yaris.

We all know that our interiors are built to arguably some of the tightest specifications in the world and utilize some of the finest materials in the industry, but why are we still lacking the color and flair to set them off? If you want an IS, ES, GS, or RX...your ONLY choices are black, grey, or tan. In the market for a GX and you get just two options, tan or dark grey. And why are the shades so close to Toyota's? There is virtunally no difference between the gray, tan, or black leather shades in a GS or in a Camry. They could at least use darker or lighter shades from eachother.

There are two models that offer some more creative interiors though, thankfully. Despite being the oldest model in the lineup, the SC does at least offer a beautiful array of interior colors. Saddle and Camel are possibly two of the richest colors in the industry IMO, and it's just a shame that they are limited to the SC. Am I the only one who feels like a GS or IS with camel or saddle interior, or perhaps an RX or GX would be a very tasteful combination? It is noteworthy though, that the LS 430 did offer a saddle interior option, as did the GS 300 Sport design. The "Alabaster" color in the new LS 460 is similar to cashmere, but a bit more delicate looking and I like it. It's fitting for a car like the LS, and thankfully shows a bit more thought than the other three colors which are...surprise...black, grey, and tan.

The IS, ES, and GX give you ONE choice for wood. The RX, LS, and GS give you three. Why can't we have more options?

Audi, BMW, and Mercedes all offer diverse, more tasteful and richer interior colors than we do, and it would be nice to see Lexus take a bold step with interiors for a change. Richer woods and leathers would give our cars more character and help to differentiate them from some other competitors.

Proof that there is the means to make things unique and add more character:

Proof that we need to look at diversifying the interior color choices:

Read: DULL!

Last edited by MPLexus301; 09-21-07 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-21-07, 09:45 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see your point, but I'm one of those consumers who likes black and grey interiors and thinks things like saddle are horrendous-looking. The SC430, in particular with that ridiculous yellow wood, is a total turn-off.

As for why Lexus and Toyoya interior colors are so close, I can only assume that they've put a whole lot of research into what people find pleasing, so they're going with it. There's no sense making one hue different from another if people are happy with what they're getting.

Now I completely agree with you, though, regarding customization. I see no reason why a customer should not be able to order a car with any exterior, interior leather, and interior wood combination they desire. Lexus' limitations in this area, even going so far as to limit choices to particular geographic regions of the U.S., is holding them back from attaining full "luxury car" status.
Old 09-21-07, 09:52 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iceman
Now I completely agree with you, though, regarding customization. I see no reason why a customer should not be able to order a car with any exterior, interior leather, and interior wood combination they desire. Lexus' limitations in this area, even going so far as to limit choices to particular geographic regions of the U.S., is holding them back from attaining full "luxury car" status.
That is really what I'm getting at. Luxury is about excess, and choice. Lexus is giving us no more choices than Toyota or Hyundai, in some cases, less. I think the fact that we only get at most three wood colors, most of which are limited to one or two leather colors, which is usually in itself only available on 5 or 6 exterior colors...just limits that aura of choice or excess. It feels like you're buying a car that someone else built, whereas other brands give you the ability to customize right down to the stitching on the leather. It feels like something you did and created, as opposed to say, an LS or GS which really only gives you a few specified choices based color. We just need more options and more consumer flexibility.
Old 09-21-07, 10:09 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
...well they are not all bland, and I don't mean bland overall, but really...is anyone else getting sick of our choices for interior colors?

The IS, ES, and GX give you ONE choice for wood.
Don't forget they have the blackwood in the GX for the sports package but not offered separately

Actually, the point is more about the options being restrictive than being "bland".

I hear you, for the LS, I want the black/black/with greywood, which is not offered

I like all of their wood and interior colors, but you can't pick and choose from different lunch menus.
Old 09-21-07, 10:15 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with your point. Lexus needs to offer more choice and more customization not just in interior colors, but other areas. Based on the comments made by Jim Farley, I think we will begin to see more and more choice and customization in the future for the Lexus brand.

We already have confirmation that Lexus at SEMA will debut "F" performance accessories, which is a big step forward. My guess is that in the future we will see a wider array of interior wood, and interior color choices. The IS-F with it's two tone seats and carbon fiber trim is a big step forward, as is the LX570 with the Bubinga wood trim.
Old 09-21-07, 10:22 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I personally LOVE the blonde wood trim as well as the saddle leather, Lexus should be offering more unique/unusual trim/leather colors like these, together with the more conventional ones. I think the burgundy leather offered for the LS430 can work well with some exterior paint color/interior trims too.
Yes, they should be way more open to customization of color/trims/option packages combinations, at least for their top of the line model(s).
Old 09-21-07, 10:26 AM
kingnoo
Rookie

I agree that there should be more choices but not just for interior colors. I think they should have more exterior colors also. having different varieties of colors can make a vehicle stand out in a crowd and that's something that Lexus needs. The toyotas should also have a lot of differences from Lexus because I saw a picture of the new Toyota SUV and it looks just like the LX570.They need to get a whole new set of colors and bring some excitement back into their vehicles. Also the top and bottom of the dash board should match at least with some of the interiors.
Old 09-21-07, 10:28 AM
Lex5150
Driver School Candidate

I think the interior is what actually sells a lot of people on Lexus. I know the IS350 interior has swayed a few people that were also looking at Infinity.
Old 09-21-07, 10:41 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I think the Lexus interiors look pretty good.. Alot better than most of the cars that are out there.. Yes if you compare a 98 GS to a 06+ model than yes there's a big diiference (bland) but the newer cars IMO have the best interiors
Old 09-21-07, 10:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Good thread.

I also see two problems as mentioned - one the limited range of choices, and two, the incredibly inflexible and limited combinations of choices.

In defense of the car selling business however, here's the problem... customer orders a car with some oddball combination of options and bails maybe even when the car shows up at the dealer. Now what does the dealer do? Perhaps, the make it 'fair', a consumer getting a customized car must have more skin in the game and a loss if they back out. Maybe like a home being built they'd have to pay more 'draws' before the car shows up.
Old 09-21-07, 12:01 PM
LexFather

Not bland, its a limit of choices. I love Lexus interiors. They are still learning the game and remember, Lexus is very conservative.

The LS has gone from one type of wood and what, 3 leathers to 3 or 4 woods and 4 or 5 leathers. It takes time.

They have acknowledged they need more personalization.

Old 09-21-07, 12:05 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm liking that super tan color

I suppose that its the fact that Toyota and Lexus are quite conservative in their choices now. I mean, it must be working seeing as they're on top of sales and everything. I don't think that they're comfortable with different combinations since they probably don't want to ruin their winning streak. Iono, I can't really see Lexus with the BMW interiors...
Old 09-21-07, 12:24 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lexus interiors are no different than their Toyota cousins. These car are made by Toyota Motor Corp. Bland? I wouldn't say the interiors are bland, they are just too simialr to the cookie cutter models from the parent company. If the consumer wants blackwood for their Camry or Highlander, it can be ordered through the aftermarket or your local Toyota parts counter.

Take a look at the 2008 Highlander interior... Lexus like?

Old 09-21-07, 01:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

One of the things I loved about my GS400 was the SOFT rubbery/plastic dash material used. I'd never seen anything like that on any other car. Since then they've gone back to the rock hard stuff it seems.

DASH - my GS400's interior was nothing like any Toyota except maybe for a few switches. Nice walnut. Nice 'gathered' leather in the doors above the armrests. Carpet was very good. And that Highlander interior looks like crap to me. A hodge podge of shapes, textures, and surfaces.
Old 09-21-07, 01:51 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
One of the things I loved about my GS400 was the SOFT rubbery/plastic dash material used. I'd never seen anything like that on any other car. Since then they've gone back to the rock hard stuff it seems.

DASH - my GS400's interior was nothing like any Toyota except maybe for a few switches. Nice walnut. Nice 'gathered' leather in the doors above the armrests. Carpet was very good. And that Highlander interior looks like crap to me. A hodge podge of shapes, textures, and surfaces.
You mean the vinyl or pseudo-vinyl interiors that many automakers used in the 1990s? Thing is, almost NOBODY is using those interior materials anymore. It might be that those materials were dangerous to the environment as well as dangerous to car owners. Who knows.

As for the Highlander, whether you like it's looks or not, it IS a high quality interior.

Quick Reply: Why are Lexus interiors so BLAND?