Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spied: Nissan GT-R beats 911 Turbo around Nurburgring(+spec.sheet/prices-Pg.19)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-07, 12:58 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like it. I would like to have seen those TTs make their way onto the next G, but I guess not I would have hoped for a bit more TQ but we'll see how it does once it gets tested more and closer to the actual release date. If dealer are actually going to sell these for around $70k, I dont know what else you can get currently for that price, aside from a Z06, with 450hp/360tq. So that price doesnt seem too bad to me. Although Im willing to bet that the E92 M3 will be in that ball park as well.
Old 01-26-07, 07:55 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by picus
8 minutes is ok for a mule; but the real thing better be significantly faster if it wasn't to compete in that price range.
LOL, have you ever been to the Ring?
Old 01-26-07, 08:02 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

We'll just have to wait and see. Even though I do not like skylines/gtrs as much, at least nissan is bringing something to the table.
Old 01-26-07, 09:14 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie
LOL, have you ever been to the Ring?
Yes. Around 8 minutes is all well and good; maybe I shouldn't have said "significantly", although a couple seconds is pretty significant. Anyway, it's going to need to break 8 reliably to compete with the Z06, imo. Of course as I mentioned, this is a mule car, so odds are the production version will shave a couple seconds off that time.

Last edited by picus; 01-26-07 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-26-07, 09:35 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$70K for a Nissan is a stretch. Sure it may be a great car, but there are a lot of other cars you can get with more impressive badges for that kind of coin.

Nissan's other car sales will definitely benefit when people go to the showrooms just to check out the GTR when it hits American shores.
Old 01-26-07, 09:59 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bruce van
$70K for a Nissan is a stretch. Sure it may be a great car, but there are a lot of other cars you can get with more impressive badges for that kind of coin.

Sounds like those people who talked about Lexus, saying "paying this kind of money for a Toyota is a stretch".
Old 01-26-07, 10:49 AM
Jonathan o
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Sounds like those people who talked about Lexus, saying "paying this kind of money for a Toyota is a stretch".
Dude you are so right!
Old 01-26-07, 11:49 AM
LexFather

I'd hit it b/c I know what GT-R means and how serious this car will be. Great heritage too.
Sadly, those that can easily afford it will avoid like the plauge b/c a 70 or 80k Nissan won't fly. Most that even know about a GT-R are snot nose kids playing GT3 on PS3.......

I think it is a sensational car but I am scared it might not meet sales targets.

Old 01-26-07, 12:47 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

I am thinking about adding another sports or GT car in my stable in 2~3 years. If the GT-R is going to be in the $50K range then Nissan is probably going to get my cheque. However, if it's in the $70K range, then I have to think. Not that because it's a $70K Nissan, but there are a lot of other options in that price range.

M3: I've heard two stories in general. One is saying it's going to carry an MSRP about $5K more than the E46 M3 or a fully loaded 335i, which is approx. about $55K. Another story is talking about $70K. The first case is going to be a bargain compare to the $70K Nissan. The second case will make it a direct competitor.

997/998 C2S or C4S: Ya, I know it's going to cost more than the GT-R, and probably out-perform by both the M3 and the GT-R as well. There's just something no other 4-seaters can match what Porsche does to the 911 -- the driving experience, the way the steering wheel transmit every single information from the road to your palm, the simplistic while ergonomic interior. It's just a well engineered interface between the driver and the road. Also, if you have a GT-R or M3, be ready to get 'challenged' by the other morons on the road. If you are in a 911, those Civics and Mustangs will just leave you alone.

Just my 0.02.
Old 01-26-07, 01:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

really... Well Toyota never sold Toyota LS460 for 70k did it? Nissan has Infiniti and yet, it chose not to use it for US market, where Infiniti needs boost in image.

Like so many great men, Ghosn seens nothing beyond his own shadow. Both Renault and Nissan sales are DOWN, big time, everywhere around the world, and Ghosn needs to go away.

I think that is the big thing about Toyota - they rely on collective rather one great leader whose word is the law.

Well check it out Mr Ghosn, Renault in Europe is biggest dissapointment of the year, and Nissan is getting killed in USA and Japan.
Old 01-26-07, 01:55 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

getting 450 hp/360 lb-ft from 3.7L w/10psi is not bad, but not spectacular. I wonder how much harder tuners can push that engine with aluminum block and head to.
Well i Know its a far off stretch, but nissan's own SR20DET was also an aluminum block and head design. And there are some serious powerful versions built out there.

It could at very least handle to have its power doubled on stock internals. Nissan seems able to build durable aluminum motors.
Old 01-26-07, 02:01 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Well i Know its a far off stretch, but nissan's own SR20DET was also an aluminum block and head design. And there are some serious powerful versions built out there.

It could at very least handle to have its power doubled on stock internals. Nissan seems able to build durable aluminum motors.
The SR20, RB26 and Toyota's 2JZ are all very strong engines with great mod potentials. I am not sure if it has something to do for these engine being an inline instead of V.
Old 01-27-07, 12:40 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

3.7L in the new G coupe sounds good. There's bound to be a ton of modding potential there since its a detuned version of the GTR
Old 01-27-07, 10:28 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I like it. I would like to have seen those TTs make their way onto the next G, but I guess not I would have hoped for a bit more TQ but we'll see how it does once it gets tested more and closer to the actual release date. If dealer are actually going to sell these for around $70k, I dont know what else you can get currently for that price, aside from a Z06, with 450hp/360tq. So that price doesnt seem too bad to me. Although Im willing to bet that the E92 M3 will be in that ball park as well.
The Z06, CTS-V, M3, and IS-F will all be in that price range and carry similar or better power/weight. This is not speculating on the EVO X either; because it is supposed to be a beast of its own and a possible STI competitor to emerge at that point too. Also not speculating on the Toyota hybrid sports car that is supposed to make 406hp.

The M3 and IS-F will both weigh less than the GTR, which is sure to weigh 3800lbs+ and both will cost less than $70k.
Old 01-28-07, 01:34 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
The Z06, CTS-V, M3, and IS-F will all be in that price range and carry similar or better power/weight. This is not speculating on the EVO X either; because it is supposed to be a beast of its own and a possible STI competitor to emerge at that point too. Also not speculating on the Toyota hybrid sports car that is supposed to make 406hp.

The M3 and IS-F will both weigh less than the GTR, which is sure to weigh 3800lbs+ and both will cost less than $70k.
Well I didnt mention Evo X, CTS-V, or IS-F because they're sedans. And as I recall this GTR was targeting the likes of Porsche's Carrera, not Caddy's CTS-V. Im comparing apples to apples. I admit, that may have not been clear in my original post. Also, where did that weight figure of the GTR come from? Ive never seen anything like that from what Ive read. 300+ pounds more than an auto G35 Coupe seems a bit embellished.

Quick Reply: Spied: Nissan GT-R beats 911 Turbo around Nurburgring(+spec.sheet/prices-Pg.19)