Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spied: Nissan GT-R beats 911 Turbo around Nurburgring(+spec.sheet/prices-Pg.19)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-07, 02:58 PM
Maximus350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Nissan GT-R Video: http://tunertrader.vidiac.com/catego...71017693f7.htm
Old 03-17-07, 06:43 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

What Japanese madness is this then...?
Feast your eyes – we’ve caught Nissan’s GT-R virtually undisguised undergoing final track testing before making its public debut at the Tokyo motorshow in October. With an anticipated £65,000 price tag, we just can’t wait to get out hands on this 500bhp twin-turbo all-wheel-drive rocket, complete with a double-clutch paddleshift transmission and active aerodynamics.

It looks just like the show car
Correct. Visually, little has changed over the GT-R Proto, the Nissan concept that was unveiled in Tokyo two years ago – gone are the busy bewinged looks of the previous model, replaced by cleanly creased sheetmetal, neat detailing and smaller overhangs. The Proto’s gaping chin, ‘waterfall’ headlamps that cascade from bonnet to bumper, nostrilled bonnet, louvered front wheelarches, squat stance, four LED taillights and quad exhaust pipes are all carried over. Thank goodness.

So what's that under the bonnet?
Despite Nissan’s engineers keeping tight-lipped about its engine, our sources claim the GT-R will run a version of the 350Z’s V6 powerplant. Nissan initially looked at using its 4.5-litre V8 but its size and weight increase spoiled the GT-R’s chassis balance, so the smaller V6 was selected instead. Bored and stroked to a full 4.0-litres, the all-alloy unit is breathed on by two ultra-responsive twin-scroll turbo chargers, to develop 500bhp, which is handled by an uprated version of Nissan’s all-wheel-drive system. Expect a nigh-perfect weight distribution and exceptional chassis balance.

So will it give Porsche's 911 a bloody nose?
YOu bet. When Nissan declared that the GT-R would deliver 911 Turbo performance at 911 prices, they weren’t bluffing – during the GT-R’s shakedown it played cat-and-mouse around Sears Point and Laguna Seca circuit with a current 911 Turbo. Expect the GT-R to scorch to 60mph in less than five seconds, and, now that Japanese manufacturers have dropped the industry-wide top speed limit on their cars, the GT-R should max out at 185mph.

What's the cabin like?

This is our first peek at the GT-R’s low-slung 2+2 cabin. Nestling behind the chunky three-spoke steering wheel you can clearly see the alloy paddle shifter for the six-speed double clutch transmission. A manual version will be offered but there will be no automatic. That large instrument nacelle is angled towards the driver and houses bold dials for engine and road speed, turbo boost and g-force. Driver and front passenger are gripped by huge winged buckets that feature shoulder-height apertures for fitting four-point harnesses.

Is it still an all-wheel-driver?
Yes, the GT-R will use a revised version of the R34 Skyline’s Attesa-ETS Pro intelligent all-paw drivetrain, which can shift torque from front to back and left to right. Capable of shifting torque front, back, left and right for incredible grip, irrespective of road or weather conditions.

What's with that rear wing?
The GT-R features an array of advanced aerodynamic aids. The coupe’s cliff-faced nose features an air dam that, along with the rear diffuser, will suck the GT-R to the road as speed increases. The proposed active wing, which rose and fell according to speed, has been ditched in favour of this fixed rear spoiler, which enhances high-speed stability.

So just how quick will it be in the real world?
In a very un-Japanese move away from headline-grabbing figures, Nissan has resisted publishing power outputs and top speeds, and has instead honed the GT-R to lap the Nürburgring in under eight minutes, which it feels is a far better indicator of the car’s overall performance, rather than straight-line speed. And the use of a European rather than Japanese circuit is a clear indicator of just how significant the European market will be for the GT-R.

I'm sold. When can I buy one?
It may look all but production ready, but the GT-R is still more than 18 months away from arriving in the UK. Sorry! It will bow in this October at the Tokyo motorshow, but will take another 12 months before it arrives in the UK. Think of it as time to save that £65,000…

Anything else I need to know?
Yes, it's no longer a Skyline. If you go into your local Nissan dealer to ask about the Skyline and you get a blank look, don't worry. The GT-R will no longer wear the Skyline moniker – although the Skyline range continues in production, the GT-R has been elevated to a stand alone model – understandable given how little in common it has with the standard Skyline.

Has Nissan turned it's back on an icon, or are they about to create another? Tell us your thoughts. Click the "Add comment' button below and let us know...

Words: Ben Whitworth
source : carmagazine

Last edited by Gojirra99; 03-18-07 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-17-07, 07:27 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4.0L TT now huh?
We'll see.
Old 03-17-07, 09:16 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4.0 L V6-TT, they pretty much maxed out the V6 in displacement pretty much, I don't think there is anything remotely that big of a V6 on the road.

One thing 65k GBP for a GTR thats just insane!

2+2, I have a feeling you wont have knees in the back of the car at all, it be like the SC.

One thing if its going to be 500 hp. I am scared of what it will do to a LF-A.

Last edited by JessePS; 03-17-07 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-17-07, 09:33 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JessePS
4.0 L V6-TT, they pretty much maxed out the V6 in displacement pretty much, I don't think there is anything remotely that big of a V6 on the road.

2+2, I have a feeling you wont have knees in the back of the car at all, it be like the SC.

What about those 4.3L GM V6

For a 2+2, the R32, 33 and 34 are actually "ok" roomy in the back. However, with that swoopy C-pillar I guess that may be changed.
Old 03-17-07, 09:37 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
What about those 4.3L GM V6

For a 2+2, the R32, 33 and 34 are actually "ok" roomy in the back. However, with that swoopy C-pillar I guess that may be changed.
Which car did GM put the 4.3 L V6? Some Chevy I bet.
Old 03-17-07, 10:01 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, my V6 4 runner is 4.0L
Old 03-17-07, 10:10 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

GMC Typhoon
Old 03-17-07, 10:17 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

The Blazer and the S10 are two models I can think of that's using the Vortec 4.3L...
Old 03-17-07, 10:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Chevy Astro too!
Old 03-18-07, 05:37 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

nissan have bigger I-6's that they dont bring to the states, like the 4.2 and 4.5 they use in the super safari's and patrols
Old 03-18-07, 08:22 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

The 4.3 V6 was the base engine in almost every fullsize GM Truck in the 90s as well as the top engine on the smaller trucks
Old 03-18-07, 08:31 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Must keep in mind that the larger the displacement, the more difficult it is to keep the motor smooth. Those GM 4.3 were crap through and out. Nice torque, but very rough.
Old 03-18-07, 09:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

As you can see, loads of 4.0 and bigger V6's on the road. GM, Ford, Toyota at least.
Old 03-18-07, 09:56 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
As you can see, loads of 4.0 and bigger V6's on the road. GM, Ford, Toyota at least.
Well they're really pushing the limits on the VQ engine. I assume it's still a VQ based engine and not an entirely new one.
I guess with a 4.0L the GT-R owners won't be complaining about the G37 coupe owners TTing the same engine and being cheaper.

Quick Reply: Spied: Nissan GT-R beats 911 Turbo around Nurburgring(+spec.sheet/prices-Pg.19)