Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spied: Nissan GT-R beats 911 Turbo around Nurburgring(+spec.sheet/prices-Pg.19)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-07, 11:22 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Spied: Nissan GT-R beats 911 Turbo around Nurburgring(+spec.sheet/prices-Pg.19)

Despite its expected price tag of about $70,000, the GT-R will be the most alluring Japanese sports machine to come our way since the Acura NSX in the mid-1990s.

Photos of a masked Nissan GT-R lapping the Nürburgring last fall received more hits on the Internet than Miss USA did after a night out on the town. The reason: Despite its expected price tag of about $70,000, the GT-R will be the most alluring Japanese sports machine to come our way since the Acura NSX in the mid-1990s. Previously sold only in Japan, the GT-R (Skyline GT-R as it was formerly known) has been an icon to boy racers and aftermarket tuners alike since the R32 appeared in 1989. The upcoming version, which will hit dealer showrooms in late 2007 or early 2008, will be the first model marketed worldwide, thus the first official version available in the U.S. Nissan has remained mum regarding this sixth-generation model, but we have discovered some interesting new tidbits about the car.

Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn confirmed that the GT-R will be built in Japan. The chassis will be assembled in the company's Tochigi factory while the powerplant will be produced at its Yokohama engine plant. The official logo for the car has also been released. As for the performance of the GT machine, here's what we know so far.

Power will come from a 3.7-liter version of Nissan's VQ powerplant. A pair of turbochargers will help it produce about 450 bhp and 360 lb.-ft. of torque. Because longtime fans of the GT-R are accustomed to more output via aftermarket tuning, Nissan has seemingly left some room on the table for buyers wanting to increase the power of their GT-Rs.

Stock boost pressure will be limited to about 10 psi, but we hear that the engine is capable of handling a lot more. A tamer version of this V-6, codenamed VQ37HR-TT, will make its way into the upcoming Infiniti G35 Coupe. Key differences between the engines are that the GT-R's VQ will have the twin turbo*chargers, lighter pistons and connecting rods, as well as a beefed-up crankshaft. Other custom parts may make their way into the engine, including racing profile camshafts and new valvetrain. It will come mated to a Getrag 6-speed transmission or a paddle-shift sequential automatic with seven or eight gears.

The GT-R will have awesome stopping power, especially if it wears the same brakes spotted during testing at the Ring. Gold-colored Brembo calipers sparkled in the sun as the GT-R attacked the famed Nordschleife. Upon closer inspection, the fronts appeared to be 6-pot calipers. As for the car's handling, we're pretty sure that it will be all-wheel drive, with a new version of Nissan's ATTESA system. For the record, the car had little trouble negotiating the Carousel at more than 110 mph. Its lap times were reported to be around 8 minutes flat, quite impressive for a test mule on a somewhat crowded track. Could it match or eclipse the Porsche 911 Turbo's time in the 7-minute-40-second range in an all-out effort? The answer awaits us in just a few months. — SM
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=4650
Old 01-25-07, 11:32 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting they essentially confirmed the 3.7L will be in the new G coupe.

8 minutes is ok for a mule; but the real thing better be significantly faster if it wasn't to compete in that price range.
Old 01-25-07, 11:35 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Twin Turbo 3.7L FTW..........
Old 01-25-07, 11:36 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Just preliminary figures . . . as for the looks, I am not totally happy with all 3 of the future Japanese supercars to come from Nissan, Lexus & Acura we've seen recently . . .
Old 01-25-07, 11:45 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That front end will take sometime for it to grow on me but that powerplant sounds perfect.. So I am guessing the new G35 Coupe will have the 3.7 with dual intake and hopefully some of the goodies from the GTR can be grafted aftermarket to the G too.. Hmmm...
Old 01-25-07, 11:54 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

I hate to say it.. but 70k for a Nissan? Hmm, I guess it'd be fun to track, I know the skyline is legendary but.. still 70k!!!!!

Wowzer. Hope its just as awesome as they say!
Old 01-25-07, 11:59 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
I hate to say it.. but 70k for a Nissan? Hmm, I guess it'd be fun to track, I know the skyline is legendary but.. still 70k!!!!!

Wowzer. Hope its just as awesome as they say!
People paid more for the "Honda" NSX........
Old 01-25-07, 12:00 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I am also not too keen on this design. Perhaps it is the two tones of color, but I can see the need for some cooling areas/spaces for brakes, engine, etc. Also the GT R symbol on the front is a little big for my taste.

Since they are selling it worldwide, I am going to be particularly interested when it comes down here. I am quite fortunate to have friends who bring very exotic vehicles to the track we have just north of Mexico City, whether to test privately or publicly. I am always particularly interested to hear comments (due to the 7,400 foot elevation) about turbo lag, either from the owner or when I am luckily enough to get behind the wheel. 3.7 liters and two turbochargers up here may finally do the trick. I have been in Porsche Turbos up here and I can sense a very noticeable lag, something the owners always complain about.
Old 01-25-07, 12:23 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cherplex
People paid more for the "Honda" NSX........

Was it 70k and more importantly, I don't know much about the NSX so maybe you can correct me..

For the money and power, besides the fact that its almost 100% aluminum.... was it really that much faster than some of the stuff that was already out?

I mean, like I said.. I understand its legendary, its appears to do awesome on a track but... in that price range, without it being even luxory .. you could get a Vette that does just as well. However, different type of car.. yada, yada, yada..
Old 01-25-07, 12:44 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
Was it 70k and more importantly, I don't know much about the NSX so maybe you can correct me..

For the money and power, besides the fact that its almost 100% aluminum.... was it really that much faster than some of the stuff that was already out?

I mean, like I said.. I understand its legendary, its appears to do awesome on a track but... in that price range, without it being even luxory .. you could get a Vette that does just as well. However, different type of car.. yada, yada, yada..
For 80k the NSX (and NSX-R) embarassed cars worth double its price. Unless you have a Z06, the NSX is a hard car to beat at the track. Even both modern day Lambos will barely beat out the NSX-R (Best Motoring has a 5 lap race of this). I mean its not saying much, but truely an awesome car which has only 280hp!
Old 01-25-07, 01:11 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Ahh..

Well hopefully the GTR handles as good. NSX still looks better imho!

Go .. go Nissan!
Old 01-25-07, 04:09 PM
okcfunky
Pole Position

That GTR looks fiesty! Good to see they are still implementing ATTESA.
Old 01-25-07, 05:47 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

getting 450 hp/360 lb-ft from 3.7L w/10psi is not bad, but not spectacular. I wonder how much harder tuners can push that engine with aluminum block and head to.
Old 01-25-07, 07:21 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

How much horsepower will the 3.7 G have?
Old 01-25-07, 07:27 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I still don't like that roof line...

Those specs are very nice... but I think that buying one for $70k is a pipe dream. Knowing what dealers are notorious for, "market adjustment", I see dealers asking over $100k for the GT-R...

Quick Reply: Spied: Nissan GT-R beats 911 Turbo around Nurburgring(+spec.sheet/prices-Pg.19)