Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Double Review: 2008 Cadillac CTS DI

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-07, 09:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
However, I literally stopped in my tracks when I read one of the "cons" which was manual tilt/no-telescope wheel. In this segment, IMHO it is simply inexcusable not to have a tilt/telescope wheel. A lowly Toyota Corolla has a manual tilt/no-telescope wheel and this Cadillac does not even exceed that?
Big dissapointment, and yet another reminder of why in some ways GM is still the same old company it's been. Yet another reminder that not a whole lot has changed.

Even a base-model Camry gets a tilt AND telescope steering wheel!
Methinks thou doth protest too much. [Edit - of course we now all know the CTS DOES have telescoping control anyway ] I own 3 vehicles, none of which have telescoping wheel. Guess what, I don't miss it. I ALWAYS had it as far in as possible when I had the feature anyway. I will say though, the Lexus way of tilting the wheel up and out before getting out of the car is a NICE, luxury touch.

Plus, my Explorer has adjustable motorized PEDALS for short drivers - something Toyota/Lexus has never offered I don't believe and which is available on many Ford/Mercury/Lincoln models.

But back to the review; I tend to agree with MPLexus301. The new CTS seems to be certainly a competitive car in the segment, but in the end it seems to be midpack, and not class leading as some would have people believe.
I think we've had this discussion before... but perhaps it depends on how you define the 'segment'. I'd take a loaded one of these over a loaded GS350 every day. Plus, this car comes in LOTS of flavors, which I believe gives it wide appeal.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-23-07 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-23-07, 09:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for the heads-up. (Or, rather for a steering column, a heads-down)
I couldn't find a the telescoping control in either the cars I had, and only a manual tilt lever. The Caddy people there said it wasn't offered. I did not find one in the brochure.......but perhaps I just didn't look hard enough or know where the control itself is.

On your suggestion, I'll modify the comment to include a question mark (?). Apparantly some cars have them and some don't....or it could have been a running production change on the assembly line (that sometimes happens).

If you are in fact correct, thanks....I'll stand corrected. I usually try and catch everything on a review but occasionally I'll miss something.
Here it is, right from Cadillac's web site on the base model:

Steering Column

Manual rake wheel, telescoping Standard

Steering Wheel

Leather-trimmed, Tilt-Wheel adjustable with fingertip controls for sound system, climate control system, traction control, phone call end and available navigation repeat
You might have missed it because I don't think it's a separate 'control'. I believe you just 'unlock' the wheel with the lever, and can then tilt OR telescope the wheel by pulling it in/out.
Old 09-23-07, 10:07 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice review Marshall This is a beautiful car. Lutz is taking too long to release the CTS-V beast
Old 09-23-07, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
You said both cars had FE2 suspension yet somehow the AWD DI model's was tuned differently? I don't understand that. Perhaps it FELT different because of the weight of the AWD which would also lower its center of gravity, plus maybe the tires were different.
I agree...it is confusing. Threxx can explain it better than I can...he is an expert on this car. The way I understand it, and according to the price stickers and computer printouts, the AWD car had the FE2 Sport package with all-season tires. The FWD car had an Non-Sport FE2 with all-seasons (There is both a Sport FE2 and Non-Sport FE2. ) The FE3, which the dealwrship did not have in stock at all, ie the Sport FE2 with high-performance summer tires. The base FE1 does not come with the DI engine.....both of my test cars had the DI engine.

Confused? Yes.....so was I, and some of the Caddy people there weren't much help either, until Threxx helped me out with a detailed explanation...he knows the underpinnings of this car inside and out.

Here is the way it goes, the way I understand it:

FE1..........all-season tires...............................................Non-DI engine.
*FE2..........all-season tires...........Non-Sport Suspension.......DI engine.
*FE2..........all-season tires,..........Sport Suspension.............DI engine.
FE3..........summer-only tires........Sport Suspension.............DI engine.

* Indicates my two test cars. No FE3's were in stock, and Threxx had already driven the FE1, so I didn't bother with it.

About the AWD DI model being a bit noisier - aside from a possible door seal problem - maybe the AWD components and possibly different tires could account for the difference.
Possibly.....but I have driven enough different cars, under enough conditions, to usually know the difference between drivetrain, wheel bearing, tire, and wind noises. This was almost definitely wind and tire noise....probably, at least in part, from the bigger tire footprints on this car generating more noise from rolling friction and different tread design....and possibly from a less-than-100% perfect seal on the right rear window.

One other thing about your reviews in general because they're pretty consistent on this....is you like brighter exterior colors, you really like a great interior, but you don't care much about performance and handling. Because of this, you not surprisingly rated the last CTS overall poorly primarily because of its plain and ugly interior. But I beg to differ on the OVERALL rating of the current CTS, having driven my mother-in-laws car many times. I definitely agree the big hunk of black funky plastic that is the dash is NOT beautiful ! But that car is QUICK and it handles SURPRISINGLY WELL. Brakes are excellent. The white diamond paint (which she has I believe) is EXTREMELY popular by the way.
You're right that I generally don't care for funeral or me-too colors, but that does not mean that a paint color necessarily has to be Hemi Orange or Chrome Yellow either to be attractive. There are a number of beautiful and classy colors that don't necessarily belong on a fire engine......Amythist, Coral, Copper, and Aqua are good examples. Problem is.......on most vehicles, you never see this. All you usually see is beige, white, black, maroon, dark blue, and several different shades of gray and silver. It simply gets monotonous after a while.....if I said anything different, I would not be communicating my true opinion.

White Diamond Pearl, though, can really be beautiful and classy.....I mention that whenever I run across it in a review.....as I have with the last several vehicles I've looked at.

My low opinion of the last CTS was, in part, not just based on interior looks, but its hardware and the materials used....which I thought were more appropriate on a Korean econobox than a 30-40K luxury/sports sedan.....and I'm not even sure about that now when you look at the quality and looks of today's Hyundai Accent.

I agree, however, with your assessment of the last-gen CTS handling, which, in general, is far better than other non-V Cadillacs.

About the brake pedal feel... it needs to be said that because it's a Caddy, even though it's more 'sporty' a bunch of these will still be bought by older folks. And they don't want some rock hard sport car brake pedal feel. They like the spongy brakes for crawling through mall and Perkins' parking lots.
The problem is that, with age, often comes feet that are as spongy as the brakes.....which, of course, does not make for a good combination, as witnessed by the number of old folks that end up driving through plate glass windows or into crowds. You live in Florida.....you know exactly what I am talking about.

I don't think you mentioned it, but this new CTS has a 40GB hard drive in some or all audio packages I believe, for transferring music too! That pretty much crushes even the LS460 with it's, what, 8GB of space?
In answer to an earlier question, I mentioned that I check out all of the high-tech functions that I can understand or figure out. However, I'm not terribly proficient or knowledgeable on some of the newer stuff like iPod, MP3, Bluetooth, etc......so, admittedly, my reviews are not the best ones to read for a detailed explanation of their capabilities. You would do a better job in that area than I would.

Anyway, I think most of us can agree this is really a great day for Cadillac and GM that we're talking about this car so much at all, and that it's clearly competitive.
Go look at this car for yourself......I'm sure there is a Caddy shop near you. I think you will be amazed at the difference between this car and the old one......and I don't say that lightly.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-23-07 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-24-07, 10:33 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cadillac is a brand with heritage and history - decades of it. I find it odd that you choose to focus the history part of your review on the worst products that Cadillac has ever put out in its bean counter years.

But otherwise, solid review as always.
Old 09-24-07, 12:34 PM
LexFather

I think the new CTS is really a great product. However, outside the front end, the rest of the car looks nearly identical to the old model. I saw my first one drive by yesterday and stop at a light. It took awhile from the rear view to tell that this was the new model.

From the front, there is no mistaking it.

Old 09-24-07, 12:46 PM
LOL!
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review MMarshall Appreciate all of the work you put into these reviews. It's just awesome.
Old 09-24-07, 02:57 PM
LexFather

Some pics

Old 09-24-07, 03:16 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My eyes!

Those wheels are horrific.
Old 09-24-07, 03:30 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah good thing those aren't stock wheels... lol

How 'bout some interior shots now?
Old 09-24-07, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rosskoss
Cadillac is a brand with heritage and history - decades of it. I find it odd that you choose to focus the history part of your review on the worst products that Cadillac has ever put out in its bean counter years.
That was not done hapazardly. I wanted to cover the CTS's predecessors and Cadillac's reasoning for bringing the CTS about in the first place....not the more traditional full-size Cadillacs. The new CTS is simply the latest in a long line of compact/mid-sized American-market Cadillacs......most of which were poorly conceived and executed. Fortunately, this latest car does not follow in their footsteps.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-24-07 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-24-07, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think the new CTS is really a great product. However, outside the front end, the rest of the car looks nearly identical to the old model. I saw my first one drive by yesterday and stop at a light. It took awhile from the rear view to tell that this was the new model.

From the front, there is no mistaking it.
You can tell the new CTS from the old one a lot easier than you can tell the new CTS from its own brother STS. Having said that, though, I agree that the difference between the new and old CTS, looks-wise, while significant, is not that great.

And as you note, the most discernable difference outside between old and new CTS is in the grille and headlights.
Old 09-24-07, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
Yeah good thing those aren't stock wheels... lol
Actually they are, Threxx......that's the FE4 package.
Old 09-24-07, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LOL!
Thanks for the review MMarshall Appreciate all of the work you put into these reviews. It's just awesome.
Thanks. Got another one coming up probably late in the week or early next week......per request, the new 2008 Honda Accord V6 Coupe.

Now that I'm retired, though I don't have unlimited time for it, I DO have more time for them than I used to.
Old 09-24-07, 07:29 PM
LexFather

http://www.gminsidenews.com/fo...51593

Quick Reply: Double Review: 2008 Cadillac CTS DI