Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Amazing how the German small sedans and coupes have come on strong so quick...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-07, 09:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
id say lexus is doing a fine job as is. you cant look at the IS alone and compare it to the others. you have to consider both the IS and ES, which together are doing pretty well
The ES being FWD just isn't here to play. They could at least offer it with AWD. It drives like a quiet boat. But yes, it clearly has a market. To me it's more in the Toyota Avalon / Buick Lucerne market.

regarding the german lineup. bmw is very concerned with infiniti. the g coupe outsold the 3 coupe alone, in its first gen out. that's incredible when you consider how important badges and image are. lexus and acura are indirectly attacking the market.
BMW bringing twin turbos to the 3 series though seems to have been a stroke of genius generating incredible excitement. They have a very broad range. But I agree that Infiniti's done a great job with the G sedan and coupe.

IS fits somewhere between the C and 3.
IS is a nice car, but to me it's not quite sporty enough OR not quite practical enough (i.e., rear seat room in particular). I think Lexus needs an IS coupe in the worst way and then to make the IS sedan a bit bigger.

either way, increased competition means we all win.
Definitely!
Old 09-23-07, 09:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr Lu
Now if only the germans can figure out how to build a car that lasts more then 3 years.. lol
Are you really a doctor?
Old 09-23-07, 09:58 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
acura's TL is more of a value proposition while the ES hits a segment that otherwise doesnt really exist, and the IS fits somewhere between the C and 3.
used to exist. Remember the I30/I35? lol. And the Acura TL used to be there too with the 2.5TL and 3.2TL. The C-Class also competed in that area (when the ES300 was smaller)... until they came out with the C36 AMG and C230 Kompressor.
Old 09-23-07, 10:01 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

German cars are pretty solidly built compared to their Japanese counterparts. I am talking from ownership experience.
Old 09-23-07, 06:05 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
German cars are pretty solidly built compared to their Japanese counterparts. I am talking from ownership experience.
Yeah I remember my parents and relatives talking about how German sedans are very stable and you don't feel the crosswinds and such that you do with Japanese cars. Of course this was back then in the mid 90s but I'm sure it's still applicable now. Oddly enough, we all drive Japanese cars...
Old 09-23-07, 06:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Yeah I remember my parents and relatives talking about how German sedans are very stable and you don't feel the crosswinds and such that you do with Japanese cars. Of course this was back then in the mid 90s but I'm sure it's still applicable now. Oddly enough, we all drive Japanese cars...
Yes.........and we drive Japanese (and, increasingly, Korean) cars for a REASON.

However, several newer domestic models have shown some good promise.....most notably some Ford/Mercury sedans/SUV's, and, especially, the new Cadillac CTS.
Old 09-23-07, 07:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I agree here. In most models, I do feel a certain solidity over Lexus.

Old 09-23-07, 07:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The new C class, the 3-series sedan and coupe, and the A4 and A5... a potent line-up. And of course there will be AMG, 'M', and S/RS versions which will wow.

I find the 3 sedan look the weakest, but I really like all the rest.

Lexus has *1* model (IS) to compete with all these, seems like they really need to step it up. The IS is a great car though, but I find it a bit lacking compared to these in one way or another.

What do you think?
Well IMO, the new 3 is superb as the IS. I find the new A4 (from what we know) and C-class to be pretty average and not superior to these older cars.

I will say I agree that Lexus needs to continue to expand their lineups. No joke, in Europe there are 40 variations of the 3!!!

What is amazing is while Lexus has expanded, they still have a very limited lineup and they are the best selling in America and 4th in the world (luxury brands).

Old 09-23-07, 08:05 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well IMO, the new 3 is superb as the IS. I find the new A4 (from what we know) and C-class to be pretty average and not superior to these older cars.

I will say I agree that Lexus needs to continue to expand their lineups. No joke, in Europe there are 40 variations of the 3!!!

What is amazing is while Lexus has expanded, they still have a very limited lineup and they are the best selling in America and 4th in the world (luxury brands).
True but in Europe a 3 is a junior executive car and can also double as a family car (if you chose an economical 1.6 or 1.8 litre version or the 2.0 litre diesel).

I kinda like the simplicity of the models here. Yes, it's nice to see some options like the IS range splitting into 3 models and the GS into 3 models (both used to have only one engine/drivetrain choice).

But I don't know if I want to see an IS250, IS300, IS350, IS220d and in RWD and AWD and both manual and automatic. That's 16 different combos right there.
Old 09-23-07, 09:28 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the moderators,

Why was my post deleted?
Old 09-23-07, 10:32 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Mine's coming up on 7 years old (next month) and has cost me less than $1400 in that time period--including tires, brakes, and wiper blades. Everything but gas, basically.

It'll cost more than that to replace the first headlight in the RX that fails due to condensation.....
$1400 over 7 yrs and ur including breaks and tires? ... HOW?

and the on topic note: lexus isn't as old as bimmer, benz, etc ... so i'd say relatively speaking, they're doing alrite
Old 09-24-07, 05:41 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
$1400 over 7 yrs and ur including breaks and tires? ... HOW?
Brakes were free under warranty. Probably due for the fronts in another year or so, which will run me around $55 if the rotors don't need to be replaced, or $155 if they do. That will probably bring me up to right around $1500, and when I do the water pump and thermostat as a preventative measure, I should be at about $1600-1700.

Repairs/replacements/tools:
Tires were $500 (Continental Extreme Contact in a +0 size).
Battery was $60
Bentley Service manual was $120
Oil Filter housing wrench was $18
Final Stage Reisistor was $75
Fluid pump (for trans/diff fluid) was $12

Maintenance:
6 oil changes: 3 free, 1 $78 (dealer), 1 $65 (Jiffy Lube), 1 $45 (home)
Brake fluid changed twice: once free, once $24
"Lifetime" antifreeze changed once: $36
"Lifetime" trans fluid changed once: $27
"Lifetime" diff fluid changed once: $9
"Lifetime" Power Steering fluid changed once: $9
Fuel Filter: $20
Sparkplugs: $36
Air filter: 3 times free, twice at $18
Cabin air filter: 3 times free, once at $30.

Note I've done quite a bit of "non-required" service. And there are probably some small things (wiper refills, taillight bulbs) that I can't remember when I did them or how much they cost. But that's 90-95% of it there, at least. Now I did spend a little more than that because I have 5 extra quarts of oil, a spare oil filter, a guibo (flex disc) and mounting bolts that I thought I would need and didn't, plus tools not specific to the car: power bleeder, caliper reset tool, OBD II Scanner, torque wrench, etc. I included the fluid pump because I threw it out after changing the diff fluid (NASTY stuff!).

The list comes to $1200 exactly, though I remember the last time I added everything up it was more like $1320 (maybe I included the powerbleeder or some of the stuff I haven't used yet, or some of the little stuff).

Last edited by geko29; 09-24-07 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-24-07, 06:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

geko, sounds good. What vehicle is this? And you've had NO other problems?
Old 09-24-07, 06:48 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

geko, sounds good. What vehicle is this? And you've had NO other problems?
2000 323i (2.5L I-6, 5-speed Getrag, every option except sport package, Harmon Kardon audio, 6-disc changer and cell phone).

Problems under warranty:
cracked seat track trim at delivery, replaced following week.
squeaking front/rear brakes, replaced under warranty at ~30k miles.
failed driver and front passenger window regulators (EXTREMELY common problem with all german cars from 1999-2001, defective run of Bosch regulators), replaced under warranty at the ~18mo mark.

Problems out of warranty:
Battery failed at ~6year mark.
Final Stage Resistor started going out at the ~4year mark, dealt with wonky climate control for about a year before replacing.
One wheel dented by pothole at ~20k, swapped out with spare.
Car stolen by valet at 38k miles, seats destroyed, left side bodywork (front fender-rear quarter panel) wrecked, clutch detonated. Didn't include any of these "extraordinary" repairs in my total, because I wouldn't have expected the clutch to need replacing even by this point.
Old 09-24-07, 07:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

The new C class, the 3-series sedan and coupe, and the A4 and A5... a potent line-up. And of course there will be AMG, 'M', and S/RS versions which will wow.

I find the 3 sedan look the weakest, but I really like all the rest.

Lexus has *1* model (IS) to compete with all these, seems like they really need to step it up. The IS is a great car though, but I find it a bit lacking compared to these in one way or another.

What do you think?
ehm, another one of these threads... good work.

Quick Reply: Amazing how the German small sedans and coupes have come on strong so quick...