Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Amazing how the German small sedans and coupes have come on strong so quick...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-07, 05:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts
Default Amazing how the German small sedans and coupes have come on strong so quick...

The new C class, the 3-series sedan and coupe, and the A4 and A5... a potent line-up. And of course there will be AMG, 'M', and S/RS versions which will wow.

I find the 3 sedan look the weakest, but I really like all the rest.

Lexus has *1* model (IS) to compete with all these, seems like they really need to step it up. The IS is a great car though, but I find it a bit lacking compared to these in one way or another.

What do you think?
Old 09-22-07, 05:41 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

technically.. wasn't the IS supposed to come in coupe and drop-top flavors too?

and i figure with the launch of the IS-F it'll help with the competition just a bit.

I dunno if the IS-F will be a smash hit..the Germans have had several generations worth of performance models to learn, Lexus is "just" going into it right now.

I really hope the IS-F isn't a flop though.
Old 09-22-07, 05:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Technically, the 3 Series, A4, and C-Class are each *one* model line, and they have their own coupe variants. Realistically, there are many models in terms of engine combinations, or coupe/convertible combinations.

The IS as of now has two models: IS250/IS350. A third model, the IS-F is coming. And in the near future, there will be a fourth addition to the IS model line which will be an IS Coupe. There is also the rumoured convertible.

Far more than sales numbers, the IS-F will be the halo car for the entire IS line, and if it is a success on a worldwide scale, then ultimately it will make ALL IS models more desirable.

Lexus knows that they need to offer more choice and more variants of the IS, and they are coming soon enough.

So far with only the IS250/IS350 sedans, IS sales are quite strong. With the IS-F and coupe/convertible variants, I can see the IS matching or perhaps even exceeding ES sales.
Old 09-22-07, 06:30 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I know that Lexus dealers were really disappointed with the last gen IS300 since the big mid-cycle improvement was the addition of a wagon. They were really hoping for a coupe/convertible to freshen up the product mix.

That being said, I find the new IS250/350 to be a really attractive car--far more so than its German competition. It may be my own bias, but I seem to see more new IS's on the road than new 3's or C's. The 3-series in particular, with its horrible execution of the already poor Bangle design, took perhaps the hottest-looking entry luxury car on the market and just plain butchered it. I know some people will look beyond all that in order to attain the coveted roundel in their garage, but I have to think that sales have suffered somewhat.

How's the TL doing? I'm starting to see more of the new Type-S variants on the road--now THAT was a smart mid-cycle move on Acura's part.
Old 09-22-07, 06:43 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
How's the TL doing? I'm starting to see more of the new Type-S variants on the road--now THAT was a smart mid-cycle move on Acura's part.
I really don't like the new minorchanged TL...especially the Type-S.

I think Lexus shouldn't try to directly compete the Germans. I don't know how or in what way, but that's Toyota's job to figure out
Old 09-22-07, 07:08 PM
Elite
Driver School Candidate

Lexus still has a toyota engine, you can't beat reliability. but since the jetta's such a popular car, not too many new car buyers seem to care
Old 09-22-07, 08:12 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I take it that there's no news for a IS sport wagon?
Old 09-22-07, 10:12 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

the IS is lacking in many areas, lexus should expand the lineup. the A5 will be nice when it gets here
Old 09-22-07, 11:31 PM
dr Lu
Driver

Now if only the germans can figure out how to build a car that lasts more then 3 years.. lol
Old 09-23-07, 12:00 AM
MarkW2005

Lexus should compete directly with BMW. The IS 250/350 was the first step. The next step should be the ISF.

Lexus should look forward to the next level. The competition between Lexus and BWM in North America (especially in California) is actually good for Lexus. Competition motivates Lexus to do better in engineering, automotive performance, design quality, and competitive pricing. Regardless who wins the luxury automotive wars, the consumer always wins.
Old 09-23-07, 12:17 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually,

The lack of variants from Lexus has been noted since the brand was first launched. Everyone tends to look at the IS for not offering enough varieties when in fact, the same could be said for the LS 17 years ago.

Back in 1990, when the LS400 was first introduced, for the North American market alone, Mercedes already had the 300/420/560 SE/SEL models, as well as the 560SEC and the SL convertible models. BMW also had 735i/735iL/750iL variants.

Of course, even back then, the E30 3 series had various models such as the 318/325 sedans, coupes, and convertibles (along with the M3), while the ES300 was nothing but a stand alone model from Lexus.

Even after all these years, Lexus has been doing better and better years after years. I am sure Lexus can hold its own in the future as well.

Jon
Old 09-23-07, 01:45 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

The 3series, Cclass and A4/5 are the bread and butter of the Germans, Toyota sells tons of Corollas and Camrys to offset what the Germans sell with the small cars, so while Lexus can release cars at a slower pace the Germans can't cause they have nothing to fall back on.
Old 09-23-07, 02:06 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by dr Lu
Now if only the germans can figure out how to build a car that lasts more then 3 years.. lol
Mine's coming up on 7 years old (next month) and has cost me less than $1400 in that time period--including tires, brakes, and wiper blades. Everything but gas, basically.

It'll cost more than that to replace the first headlight in the RX that fails due to condensation.....
Old 09-23-07, 08:46 AM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I really don't like the new minorchanged TL...especially the Type-S.

I think Lexus shouldn't try to directly compete the Germans. I don't know how or in what way, but that's Toyota's job to figure out
I think the Lexus IS should compete with the Merc C-class. Both of them are a bit more luxury-focused. It's nearly impossible to overthrow the king of the sport sedan class, the BMW 3-series. Whether you like the styling or not (I think it's too boring), the sales figures don't say it's ugly. BMW moves about 11-12k of those each month in the US alone.......that's almost 400 a day!!!.

I agree with you on the facelifted TL. The new semi-clear taillights look like a half-assed job (I actually liked the all-red treatment better than current one). The type-S has hideous rims, a vulgar-looking exhaust, and too much power to the wrong wheels (not like the base TL doesn't have that problem already). It's not subtle nor elegant in any way.
Old 09-23-07, 08:56 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

the japanese are largely responsible for this.

id say lexus is doing a fine job as is. you cant look at the IS alone and compare it to the others. you have to consider both the IS and ES, which together are doing pretty well

regarding the german lineup. bmw is very concerned with infiniti. the g coupe outsold the 3 coupe alone, in its first gen out. that's incredible when you consider how important badges and image are. lexus and acura are indirectly attacking the market. acura's TL is more of a value proposition while the ES hits a segment that otherwise doesnt really exist, and the IS fits somewhere between the C and 3.

either way, increased competition means we all win.

Quick Reply: Amazing how the German small sedans and coupes have come on strong so quick...