Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Besides Lexus, BMW, Merc., Lotus, McLaren,...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-07, 12:05 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Besides Lexus, BMW, Merc., Lotus, McLaren,...

Ferrari, Aston Martin, Bentley, Acura, and any other that I have missed, what is the deal with people still buying American cars. Are people that stupid not to know that American vehicles suck ***. I understand your typical work truck is cool being GMC, Chevrolet, Dodge, etc. But why doesnt everybody buy a vehicle that is already proven to be the best in the world like Lexus? IMO, 90% of people out there are not as cool as me or the people on this forum because they are driving **** vehicles that are not going to last.
Old 09-23-07, 12:08 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

American cars do not 'suck'. There are a few good ones out there. A lot of import cars also cost more than the domestic competitors. Some people just need a transportation and does not look into other things such as refinement, power, etc.

And not everyone can afford to buy a brand new lexus. And certainly not everyone want a numb car like lexus.
Old 09-23-07, 12:11 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
And certainly not everyone want a numb car like lexus.
Go on, what do you mean?
Old 09-23-07, 12:15 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

numb as in isolated feel. For the most part, Lexus cars are very floaty, too soft, isolated. Not everyone enjoys that kind of cushy ride. My mom turned away from aused LS400 (before she bought an 05 honda odyssey) because she didn't like the way the LS400 rode.

It's just preference.
Old 09-23-07, 12:19 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

numb as in isolated feel. For the most part, Lexus cars are very floaty, too soft, isolated. Not everyone enjoys that kind of cushy ride. My mom turned away from aused LS400 (before she bought an 05 honda odyssey) because she didn't like the way the LS400 rode.

It's just preference.
I understand what you mean. Sometimes I find myself driving with the windows down somewhat because the car is soo quiet, I cant hear anything that is going on around me. I used to own a 91 Acura Legend sedan before this car and there is no comparison to the quality and build between Lexus and Acura.
Old 09-23-07, 12:28 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995LS400
Ferrari, Aston Martin, Bentley, Acura, and any other that I have missed, what is the deal with people still buying American cars. Are people that stupid not to know that American vehicles suck ***. I understand your typical work truck is cool being GMC, Chevrolet, Dodge, etc. But why doesnt everybody buy a vehicle that is already proven to be the best in the world like Lexus? IMO, 90% of people out there are not as cool as me or the people on this forum because they are driving **** vehicles that are not going to last.
The KA7 Legend was a fun car to drive also. A lot of Lexus IMO are extremely nice cars, just has no character...which I guess is their character.

And by your definition, a cool car = a car that lasts. I know some people with Maserati, Mercedes, BMWs etc with horrible reliability issues. So are those cars still cool?

I'm sorry 90% of us aren't cool as you b/c we're poor and can't afford a Lexus. Oh wait, a Lexus is a Toyota.
Old 09-23-07, 12:36 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
The KA7 Legend was a fun car to drive also.
I'm sorry 90% of us aren't cool as you b/c we're poor and can't afford a Lexus. Oh wait, a Lexus is a Toyota.
Yes, the KA7 kicked *** as a car to drive, I just owned one that had a little too much miles on the odo. As for the 90% thing, drinking in the morning will cause you to say things that you dont normally say, my bad.
Old 09-23-07, 12:56 PM
E-Z ES300
Lead Lap

I'M DEFINITLY WITH YOU ON THIS!! I hate american cars and i have personally owned a couple... Although there are very few exceptions i would make and actually want.. Its rare you would see me wanting to try and get one
Old 09-23-07, 01:12 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

American cars do not 'suck'. There are a few good ones out there.
the new C6 Vette :drool:
Old 09-23-07, 01:35 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

American cars have their strengths and weaknesses.

Power is definately one of the many strengths of American cars, found through powerful V8s (Hemi and such) as well as strong, torquey truck engines.

Not one non-American can build a better pickup truck, nor can they produce a V8 muscle car for less than $50k.
Old 09-23-07, 01:57 PM
kit cat

Yes, the KA7 kicked *** as a car to drive, I just owned one that had a little too much miles on the odo. As for the 90% thing, drinking in the morning will cause you to say things that you dont normally say, my bad.
lol, that sure would do it

I miss my KA7 too...it had 220k on the odometer but was still running like a champ. Just needed regular maintenance and I didn't feel like it was worth it (outer tie rods, new shocks, etc). Seems like every Legend owner loves his/her Legend though.
Old 09-23-07, 03:25 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Saying that you are cool on a forum on the interweb is like saying that you are popular in South Dakota...

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Old 09-23-07, 06:09 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

well keep in mind that there are deep discounts so those who can't afford a Japanese car would look to a domestic for rock-bottom prices. That and those who want a car like the 300C, know it's priced as such but don't tell you that they paid $5k less than list price from discounts. Who wouldn't feel smug about that?
Old 09-23-07, 10:39 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

somebody already shared my thought ...

Originally Posted by Stage3
Saying that you are cool on a forum on the interweb is like saying that you are popular in South Dakota...
Old 09-23-07, 11:59 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to disagree Not all American car sucks.. My daily for the past few days and probably next few weeks is a 2008 Tahoe LT and I think the build quality is decent.. I like it better than my old LX470...

Quick Reply: Besides Lexus, BMW, Merc., Lotus, McLaren,...