Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen to offer hybrid option on entire lineup

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-07, 07:00 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Volkswagen to offer hybrid option on entire lineup

Volkswagen to offer hybrid option on entire lineup

Monday 24 September 2007

In a similar move to Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen is to offer a hybrid option on its entire future lineup including both mild and full hybrid systems. In addition to its hybrid onslaught, VW also plans to expand its range of ultra-efficient BlueMotion diesels and could one day have it as an option for its full lineup as well. There’s even talk of an all-electric vehicle based on the recently revealed up! minicar concept.

The news comes from VW’s product development Chief Ulrich Hackenberg, who spoke recently with Automobilwoche. According to Hackenberg, VW’s new rear-engine small car will enter production in 2011 and will be offered “in both a full and mild hybrid.”

As for the BlueMotion range, Hackenberg revealed the next car to get the clean-diesel treatment will be the upcoming Tiguan SUV (pictured) and possibly the Eos convertible. It doesn’t end there. Hackenberg also revealed there will be “further innovative fuel consumption measures” within the next few years.
via motorauthority
Old 09-24-07, 07:07 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*twiddles thumbs* Lexus where is your full hybrid line up
Old 09-24-07, 07:49 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get it? Audi/VW are doing great with their TDI (now comes with Bluemotion), and they go with a hydrid, why not diesel hybrid? I'm sure it'll break 1000km per tank easily.
Old 09-24-07, 07:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
*twiddles thumbs* Lexus where is your full hybrid line up
yeah dude, where is lexus and hybrids? All these manufacturers have full hybrids lineup except for lexus...

:-)
Old 09-24-07, 08:52 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another manufacturer deciding to offer a hybrid option in their entire lineup.... and people thought Toyota was crazy.
Old 09-24-07, 09:17 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
I don't get it? Audi/VW are doing great with their TDI (now comes with Bluemotion), and they go with a hydrid, why not diesel hybrid? I'm sure it'll break 1000km per tank easily.
i would love to see diesel-hybrid, it is the best of both worlds. the fuel economy and CO2 level will be low also.
Old 09-24-07, 11:59 AM
LexFather

I hope it happens, the more hybrids the better

Old 09-24-07, 12:08 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting, no mention of Lexus there, aren't they the first to talk about an entire hybrid lineup?

Also, in contrast to the rumors that the Germans were having trouble with hybrids, what about the new ML and S 400 hybrids? Are those coming to the US?
Old 09-24-07, 02:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
Interesting, no mention of Lexus there, aren't they the first to talk about an entire hybrid lineup?

Also, in contrast to the rumors that the Germans were having trouble with hybrids, what about the new ML and S 400 hybrids? Are those coming to the US?
rumours? they delayed their hybrids for 2 years.

Porsche head of engineering told Autoweek that it wasnt as easy as they thought, and that they had to push their hybrid launch from 2007 to 2009.

What you see now is big PR releases from germans because they were criticized by public and govt on how much behind toyota they are.

There are several issues with diesel hybrids that people here really dont want to understand. Most important is cost and 2nd one is refinement. At this point, neither one of those can be solved.

Plus, modern diesels are not really all that reliable or clean.
Old 09-24-07, 02:16 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888

Well Toyota is. I don't know if that includes Lexus. I believe Lexus of UK did say they were planning a hybrid option for their entire lineup.