Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura Exec Details Future Lineup

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-07 | 01:03 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Some of the cars Watts hinted at include a new coupe to replace the original Acura CL that was dropped after the 2003 model.

I hope they're not planning on a FWD coupe based on the TL. Both generations of the CL were complete flops in the market. They should know by now that FWD luxury coupes just won't work.
Old 09-24-07 | 01:06 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by carguy101
Some of the cars Watts hinted at include a new coupe to replace the original Acura CL that was dropped after the 2003 model.

I hope they're not planning on a FWD coupe based on the TL. Both generations of the CL were complete flops in the market. They should know by now that FWD luxury coupes just won't work.
Ehhh... Most likely it will have SH-AWD. My guess is it will be something in between a 3-Series coupe and 6-Series. Kinda like an A5 then I guess.
Old 09-24-07 | 01:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by carguy101
So? Is that against the rules? Last time I checked, this IS "Car Chat" where one of the primary purposes is to talk about other car manufacturers. If I want to talk about Acura or Infiniti, why do you care?

And where do I say I care whether you comment in such threads or not? If I happen to disagree with you, I will say so, within the rules of the forum.

Acura/Infiniti were getting flack in this thread for talking about future plans and expansion of their lineups. My point was that Acura/Infiniti aren't the only companies that "talk the talk".
They ARE. We have proved this in multiple threads the past few years. JUST BRING the product. Stop talking about it.

Just LAST MONTH, Acura was in an article where they STATED, they want to be on par with Bentley and Maybach.

EVEN ACURAZINE lol at the article!!

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
I will give my two cents wherever it is needed. If I see false information posted by anyone about anything, I will correct them. You don't see me doing that for Toyota because, well, this is a Toyota board. By the time I read it, someone else would have already corrected it. HOWEVER, you see me doing it all the time for Acura and Infiniti because it seems like both brands (along with a couple others) seem to repeatedly get misrepresented here on ClubLexus without anyone being quick to make the correction. If you think that I comment on everything Infiniti or Acura, then that just probably means there are a lot of people on here who post information about them that is incorrect. Nothing wrong with spreading a little education.

Why must you pick something totally out of the blue to throw out there in an attempt to make a brand look bad? I see it a lot and IMO, THAT is pathetic.

Thanks for the edit
Yeah I edited b/c this is redundant. And it was a shot back at your friend carguy who is bringing up Toyota being pathetic for not having a sports car, when Honda sadly, does not have a V-8 (and a lot of other things). (post 10). Again, we are talking about Acura.

Some of you are getting your panties in a bunch b/c we don't see any value in this article as others the past few years.

BMW, Benz, Lexus, Audi, you see the concept, then the car comes shortly thereafter. Not to mention their product lineups are vastly more complicated.

You guys see nothing wrong, with pretty much useless articles all the time?
Old 09-24-07 | 01:22 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There are useless internet articles all the time, including useless articles about Toyota, Nissan, Honda, BMW, etc.

All the Infiniti/Acura exec did was to say that they are planning on expanding their lineups, probably in response to a question by a journalist. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Old 09-24-07 | 01:22 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Just LAST MONTH, Acura was in an article where they STATED, they want to be on par with Bentley and Maybach.

EVEN ACURAZINE lol at the article!!

BMW, Benz, Lexus, Audi, you see the concept, then the car comes shortly thereafter. Not to mention their product lineups are vastly more complicated.

Yes they did state that, but your also leaving out the rest of the article. They said that want to be on par in terms of PERFORMANCE and DESIGN. Both companies make great looking cars that perform great for what they are. Whats wrong with setting that as a benchmark? It's no different than Hyundai setting Lexus as a benchmark. If Acura said that they are trying to compete with Bentley and Maybach in prestige, then I would have laughed in their face. However, I don't see anything wrong with setting your goals at designing a car that looks and performs as good as a super-lux.

Well what concept has Acura or Infiniti shown that has not come out? I think right now it is very clear that both companies are in the works of expanding their line-up to make them more 'complicated.'

Yes, it is useless articles all the time. I don't see anything wrong with them because it's YOUR decision to read them all the time. Where I do see wrong is when people bash the company that the article is talking about when really, that same company has almost nothing to do with the release of the article. If you want to bash someone, bash the news company which deserves it, not the car company. This way I won't have to drop my two-cents as often either just to correct another misrepresentation.
Old 09-24-07 | 01:25 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

BMW, Benz, Lexus, Audi, you see the concept, then the car comes shortly thereafter.
I see no material difference in the length of time in "concept to production" between BMW, MB, Lexus, Audi, Acura and Infiniti. If you have some hard data to back up what you say, I'd be interested.

For all of the above companies, many concepts never even make it to production.
Old 09-24-07 | 01:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
Yes they did state that, but your also leaving out the rest of the article. They said that want to be on par in terms of PERFORMANCE and DESIGN. Both companies make great looking cars that perform great for what they are. Whats wrong with setting that as a benchmark? It's no different than Hyundai setting Lexus as a benchmark. If Acura said that they are trying to compete with Bentley and Maybach in prestige, then I would have laughed in their face. However, I don't see anything wrong with setting your goals at designing a car that looks and performs as good as a super-lux.

Well what concept has Acura or Infiniti shown that has not come out? I think right now it is very clear that both companies are in the works of expanding their line-up to make them more 'complicated.'

Yes, it is useless articles all the time. I don't see anything wrong with them because it's YOUR decision to read them all the time. Where I do see wrong is when people bash the company that the article is talking about when really, that same company has almost nothing to do with the release of the article. If you want to bash someone, bash the news company which deserves it, not the car company. This way I won't have to drop my two-cents as often either just to correct another misrepresentation.
You need to READ what ACURA forums say. If ACURA fans are sick and tired of this kind of news, well guess what, everyone else is.
They are sick and tired of long production times and useless banter from Acura execs.
http://www.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374786
It's true. Watching Acura "advance" their product line is like watching grass grow. It's painful.
I'd love to see it happen, but Acura just takes too damn long for product development.
Flying Pigs
Acura’s Future: We want to rival Bentley and Maybach
http://www.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372571
Pass the pipe please...
You don't even have a V8 engine or a platform not based on a FWD family sedan and your making statements like this? Make themselves look foolish.
someone please post this to the other boards, gosh it's even more embarrassing owning a TSX now by a company making statements like that.
Please tell me someone got this from the Onion.

Honda/Acura is turning into a big joke.

As much as I've enjoyed mine, Acura can't be serious about getting called up to the major leagues throwing fourbangers.

Seriously, WTF was that exec thinking.
has acura completely lost it?
Acura - "We don't know what we're doing, but we're doing something."

5 pages of it...(even a comment about me)

So here are tons of Acura owners lol at them, but you think its fine.
Old 09-24-07 | 02:26 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

You need to READ what ACURA forums say. If ACURA fans are sick and tired of this kind of news, well guess what, everyone else is.
They are sick and tired of long production times and useless banter from Acura execs.

5 pages of it...(even a comment about me)

Like I said, Acura said they want to compete in terms of design and performance. They want big, powerful and bold cars. Without worrying about what other people think or say, do you think that is a bad goal? They never said they wanted to compete in the same class at eye-level. Those Acurazine members are all reading that thinking Acura wants to compete in the same class as Bentley and Maybach when that is really not the case. Read the article again.

The Advance theme from Acura has been out for what, maybe a year? In that time, they have come out with the RDX which went quickly from concept to production and also the MDX. Both cars follow the new Advance theme. They have also revealed those two Advanced Concept Cars this year. If you ask me, for only having the theme out for about a year, they have done plenty. What long production times are you referring to? Also, what concept cars are you talking about that you forgot to answer from my last post?

I said it before, I'll say it again...Acura execs answer questions that are presented to them in an interview (to a certain extent). Then the person who interviews them takes those answers and turns it into a news article. Acura has no control over what the interviewer does with their information. Whether it be turned into a news article or the opening line of a academy award winning movie. So don't point me to a bunch of links where Acura owners are laughing at what they THINK is Acura saying they want to be Bentley and Maybach when we both really know that is not all they said. You can think that if you want just like some of the people at Acurazine. However, I always thought you considered yourself to be 'above' Acura drivers, no?

So here are tons of Acura owners lol at them, but you think its fine.
Well, I don't base my opinions on what a bunch of people in a forum say. Especially when they don't even know the entire content of the article. Do you? Furthermore, I said I think it is fine for these news companies to keep coming out with useless articles. Don't change my words around. It is their business and they do what they gotta do. Hey, if they are coming out with so many useless articles it's probably because people are buying them. Would you keep coming out with something that according to you, everyone is sick of?
Old 09-24-07 | 02:33 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

lol.. ouch!
Old 09-24-07 | 02:41 PM
LexFather

This is a concept.

The RDX concept, was almost the production car

This is a concept

This is a concept almost a production car

So there are different levels of concepts.

I digress, the article from Acura is still silly and redundant and just bring the product.
Old 09-24-07 | 02:45 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

[B]
I digress, the article from Acura is still silly and redundant and just bring the product.
LOLOL. WHAT article from Acura?
Old 09-25-07 | 06:06 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

So how bout a turbo for the TSX?
Old 09-25-07 | 12:02 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Cool V10s

Acura Could Skip V8s, Intro V10s
Honda's Acura division has long been criticized for not offering V8 powertrains on any of its luxury or sports cars. But rather than producing a V8 to rival Lexus and BMW, Acura is considering skipping V8s all together and opting for V10 power instead.

John Watts, product planning manager for Acura America told Automotive News his company will test the waters with a V10 in the next NSX. If that goes well, there's a good chance V10s will end up in other Acuras, too.

"That's the plan,” Watts said. “We'll see how people react to a 10 in the sports car and maybe move from there. Maybe instead of using V8s, we'll take the next step up and go to V10s," he said.

V10s are usually reserved for ultra-expensive sports cars, with the BMW M5 and M6 being the least expensive mainstream vehicles to feature V10 motors. But Acura could conceivably use less powerful ten-cylinder engines in its more premium models, including front-engine coupes and sedans.
Old 09-25-07 | 12:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I wouldn't doubt this. The v10 was already in that nsx-mule. At least they have the engine made. Its all a matter of implementing it into a production vehicle.
Old 09-25-07 | 12:41 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota doesn't just talk the talk, they walk the walk. The LF-A II concept showed earlier this year was called "close to production" by Lexus executives. The Lexus supercar IS coming. A Toyota sports car (according to Toyota executives) IS coming.

Have we heard anything about the next NSX? The latest news about the next NSX was that Honda was going back to the drawing board and that the project would be delayed.

carguy101, please tell me what full-size luxury sedans does Acura or Infiniti have? What V8 powered cars does Acura have? Talk about pathetic .

Quick Reply: Acura Exec Details Future Lineup