Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-11, 01:54 PM
Banikid
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Needs lees WHEEL GAP! The stance it is currently is in is not acceptable. Car looks very good though.
Old 11-28-11, 02:03 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

You don't hand build a sub $30k car...
Old 11-28-11, 02:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by redline.gT
O it did. But hearing it from the guy that Won the Facebook FT86 Contest. It seem rather legit.
as i said, misunderstanding...
Old 11-28-11, 02:15 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

The wheel gap isn't bad at all for what will likely be a daily driver for 99% of owners.

Even with sporty/sports cars, the overwhelming majority doesn't want to feel like their getting kicked in the nuts just driving to the grocery store.
Old 11-28-11, 02:20 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

didnt see this posted before:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...hief-engineer/

had my doubts on the reveal, but after reading this i feel a bit more confident toyota knows what theyre doing.
Old 11-28-11, 03:44 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
So let's recap, the cynics and critics so far have complained about:

- how this isn't a good replacement for a modified MR-2
- wheel-gap
- styling not 100% matching concept

You know Toyota has something special on their hands when that's all that cynics and critics are complaining about .

Most importantly, this is a pure sports car, one that's affordable, and will have huge aftermarket potential. This is going to sell extremely well.
Since you cite me as a "cynic" and "critic" since i haven't drunk too much Toyota koolaid on this car, i'll go into detail my reservations (again).

1. Weight: 2600-2800 lbs seems a tad high and definitely not "mind-blowing curb weight". Pulling off 2000 lbs is mind numbing, 2200 is damn crazy, and 2400 would have been perfect. Toyco shaved off 200lbs off the new Camry, one would of hoped that they could of achieved something similar to lessen the curb weight. Will wait to see the final specs, since U.S. has different standards for bumper / crash protection.

2. Car hp output: I would of liked to see a small displacement i4 turbo instead, which would give good hp, good fuel economy, and also modibility. Even a high-revving i4 would of been nice to save weight and keep the car in its peak hp band at speed, but i understand why they chose a H4 due to lower center of gravity. Low end torque with the h4 should be nice, but i've never been a fan of boxers (must be the old Evo owner in me). Again, awaiting final judgement after US spec is introduced since we can go down to 87 octane here unlike other parts of the world. It will also be interesting to see the final fuel economy numbers.

In summary, Instead of going all out and "awakening" the dragon, Toyco seems to have compromised a bit for the "practical" side for costs, insurance, etc.. I'm not the type of guy that likes compromises (i chose an Evo RS before over the MR and GSR not because it was cheaper but because it was "raw" and unadulterated in nature ready and was an "scca" ready pure sports car. One can only hope that Toyco/Subby does the same and introduce a stripper model aimed for guys like me or better yet a hi-po trd/sti packaged version! I still like the car because in its stock form, it seems comparable in performance to the older Sylvia S14 which is saying a lot because i used to consider importer that car here. While I have no doubt people will buy this car, I would say Toyota did a good job and hit a double instead of a triple or homer on it. I'm saying this from a biased, yet objective view based on a guy who's owned quite a few sports car and not just some marketing fanboi, so YMMV. Of course, I will reserve my final judgement when i drive it first hand. /flamesuit on
Old 11-28-11, 03:55 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Toyco seems to have compromised a bit for the "practical" side for costs, insurance, etc.
But I think this is a good business move, not an enthusiasts' choice to make.

In a struggling economy for a middle-class market, the GT suffices. To make it lighter and/or faster would make the car more expensive and less approachable.

Mind you, at an estimated $25k, it's already priced similarly against the likes of the Hyundai Genesis coupe and Ford Mustang, who pump out 300+ hp but at a lot more weight. People will compare apples to oranges and claim that such muscle cars can provide a lot more speed and space for the same price. It's a double-edged sword.
Old 11-28-11, 04:09 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
a miata is a competitor. and rumor on the next gen is under 1800lbs and a turbo engine option!

http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-ne...cle-93847.html
That sounds way too optimistic. I'll believe it when I see it. Also the Miata isn't exactly a direct competitor to the 86 because it's a 2-seat roadster.
Old 11-28-11, 05:03 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally, and I am loving it!! and 40MPG? Cool! It will be a winner.
Old 11-28-11, 05:45 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I hope this car won't turn into another Civic with rice mods.....
It'll be the owners fault if it is. Plain and simple.

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Finally, and I am loving it!! and 40MPG? Cool! It will be a winner.

Unfortunately, no that's 40 UK MPG, which is about 33 US MPG. Much better than the now dead Celica.
Old 11-28-11, 06:28 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BRZ revealed as well, looks a bit more natural than the Toyota. Really though, just splitting hairs.

Old 11-28-11, 06:42 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My goodness that wheel gap looks horrible.
Old 11-28-11, 07:02 PM
ecstaticSC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe every car Toyota/Lexus has produced comes with horrible wheel gap.
Old 11-28-11, 07:07 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by venom21
BRZ revealed as well, looks a bit more natural than the Toyota. Really though, just splitting hairs.

At least Subaru is honest about the wheel gap in their official pics. Toyota/Lexus on the other hand have a long history of advertising/showing off "production" cars with no wheel gap when in reality the wheel gaps are huge from the factory. Sure, the 86 happens to be a car designed for the tuners but that doesn't excuse Toyota/Lexus's marketing teams for habitually showing their cars (including the LS600hL, definitely not a tuner's car) with clearly modified suspensions. It's just a dishonest practice IMHO.

P.S. This is just a minor quibble and not meant to take anything away from this otherwise amazing car (still hate the taillight styling though).

Last edited by ydooby; 11-28-11 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-28-11, 07:13 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!