Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-11, 01:17 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
I think history has taught Toyota that most people in the demographics of a $25k fun car can't afford to let go of practicality. They could've made the 86 a lightweight 2-seater but then most people who can afford to own a car just purely for fun can already afford to look at cars of much higher price brackets like the Elise or the Boxster, and the 86 will be destined to the same fate as the MR-S. This car is just the starting point of more sporty cars for the masses from Toyota in a long time so it has to appeal to the widest audience possible to ensure success. I would fully expect successors to the MR-S and the Supra if the 86 does well enough, and the next-gen MR-S should then become the ultimate lightweight (but impractical) fun car that you're looking for.
Ydooby - As much as I hope what you are saying is true, I highly, highly doubt it. I'm an admitted Toyco loyalist / fanboi through and through with my immediate family owning no less than 10 cars of Toyco/Lexus nameplates. However, back in 2000 i was told directly by a marketing / sales guy who works for Toyco corporate that a Supra successor would arrive soon. I'm hopeful I am proven wrong and that the FR-S is a new chapter in Toyco rich sporting history!
Old 11-29-11, 01:21 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
i really dont know that it matters that you like Toyota. It doesnt.

This car is 700lbs lighter than Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

You can easily add an turbo to it.

If you are not willing to modify the car then you are certainly not an no-compromise guy, and this car is not for you.

Unfortunately, I am now told old for this car and my priorities are different. But if this was 7 years ago, I would easily picked this up over my MR-S. Point for point, this seems like a lot better car. I would have turboed it like I did with my MR-S and it would go like crazy.
So in summary, what you are saying is that 1) the FR-S need modifications in order to make it a proper sports car? and that 2) I'm being hypocritical for not modifying it in smog-**** CA land, where a car can be impounded immediately if it is deemed circumventing CARB standards? Really?

Can you concentrate on the specific objective criticism i had of the FR-S instead of defending it on the basis of subjective and personal attacks? /thanks

Last edited by ST430; 11-29-11 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-29-11, 01:22 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Ydooby - As much as I hope what you are saying is true, I highly, highly doubt it. I'm an admitted Toyco loyalist / fanboi through and through with my immediate family owning no less than 10 cars of Toyco/Lexus nameplates. However, back in 2000 i was told directly by a marketing / sales guy who works for Toyco corporate that a Supra successor would arrive soon. I'm hopeful I am proven wrong and that the FR-S is a new chapter in Toyco rich sporting history!
Well back in 2000 Toyota didn't have Akio Toyoda as the CEO, so things may change.
Old 11-29-11, 01:27 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ydooby
Well back in 2000 Toyota didn't have Akio Toyoda as the CEO, so things may change.
True, but back in 2000, we were hot off the heels of the Supra TT, then onto the "Genesis" youth focus of the Echo, MR-S, and Celica triumverant....btw> I do love the production looks of it though I would of sacrificed a few things in the name of weight (foglights, dual exhaust, etc.)!
Old 11-29-11, 01:37 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

True, but back in 2000, we were hot off the heels of the Supra TT, then onto the "Genesis" youth focus of the Echo, MR-S, and Celica triumverant....btw> I do love the production looks of it though I would of sacrificed a few things in the name of weight (foglights, dual exhaust, etc.)!
The Supra stopped being sold in the States in '97 or '98. It lived on in other markets. The Celica and MR-S came back on the scene in 2000.
Old 11-29-11, 01:41 PM
xioix
Racer

Sales people all say things to make people happy, if in 2000 he said a new Supra was going to arrive soon, he didn't work in corporate as the Supra continued in Japan until 2002
Old 11-29-11, 01:45 PM
xioix
Racer

So in summary, what you are saying is that 1) the FR-S need modifications in order to make it a proper sports car? and that 2) I'm being hypocritical for not modifying it in smog-**** CA land, where a car can be impounded immediately if it is deemed circumventing CARB standards? Really?

Can you concentrate on the specific objective criticism i had of the FR-S instead of defending it on the basis of subjective and personal attacks? /thanks
A proper sports car isn't about going fast, it's about having a fun car

If you want a fast car, get a fast car

And modifying it to CARB legal isn't that much a big problem, if it was all the tuning companies such as Crawford Performance wouldn't be in CA
Old 11-29-11, 01:59 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xioix
A proper sports car isn't about going fast, it's about having a fun car

If you want a fast car, get a fast car

And modifying it to CARB legal isn't that much a big problem, if it was all the tuning companies such as Crawford Performance wouldn't be in CA
So now we have new term called "proper" sports car, in addition to "pure"? Do we just continue to throw out compromising terms on it or is it just me? Please enlighten me on what these cars classify as then? miata, 335i, mr-s, integra type-r, s2000, evo ix, lotus elise, mustang...Sorry, just me little rant after seeing completely opposing comments such as:

"this is a practical car"
"Most importantly, this is a pure sports car"
"This is for the guy that runs SCCA"

And you're insinuating that I can easily modify the FR-S or any car and pass smog? Really? And no we're not talking about exhaust and intake. Please send me the phone # for Crawford Performance so i can have them turbo my existing car...k thx.

Anyhow...i'm just going to monitor this thread when until the final US production specs are released....

Last edited by ST430; 11-29-11 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-29-11, 02:11 PM
xioix
Racer

So now we have new term called "proper" sports car, in addition to "pure"? Do we just continue to throw out compromising terms on it or is it just me? Please enlighten me on what these cars classify as then? miata, 335i, mr-s, integra type-r, s2000, evo ix, lotus elise, mustang...

And you're insinuating that I can easily modify the FR-S or any car and pass smog? Really? And no we're not talking about exhaust and intake. Please send me the phone # for Crawford Performance so i can have them turbo my existing car...k thx.
Dictionary definition of a sportscar is: a low small usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving

high speed driving is not about being fast, but driving it fast

Miata, S2000, Elise/Exige are sports cars

Integra Type-R, 335i/M3, EVO are sporty cars

Greddy makes bolt on CARB legal turbo kits

Crawford Performance will be making parts for the BRZ/FRS

Just something they have in mind

Google crawford performance if you don't think they know what they are doing
Mustang/Camaro Pony cars

Last edited by xioix; 11-29-11 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-29-11, 02:15 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Dictionary definition of a sportscar is: a low small usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving

high speed driving is not about being fast, but driving it fast

Miata, S2000, Elise/Exige are sports cars

Integra Type-R, 335i/M3, EVO are sporty cars

Mustang/Camaro Pony cars
So you're saying the ITR, M3, and Evo aren't sports cars? really? What cars have you owned/driven again?

So whats the # to Crawford Performance so i can turbo my car legally?
Old 11-29-11, 02:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

what personal attacks?

This is lightweight car with 200hp and great handling.

You dont care about that, you preffer turbo'd car thats 700lbs heavier.

So this car is not for you.

What else needs to be said really?

You are dissapointed with weight of FRS, but you prefer Genesis Coupe that is 600-700lbs heavier.

As to the Cali and CARB, if mid 6s 0-60 is not good enough for you, then you "can" wait to see if there is higher powered factory version or even TRD turbo thats CARB legal (their S/C are).
Old 11-29-11, 02:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

So you're saying the ITR, M3, and Evo aren't sports cars? really? What cars have you owned/driven again?

M3? Shouldnt the Toyota fanboi in you know of the existence of IS-F?
If you look at Evo then WRX says hi.

Both cars very very different from FRS.
Old 11-29-11, 02:26 PM
xioix
Racer

By definition they are not by having more than 2 seats

Crawford specializes in Subaru's, you don't have a Subaru, so its doesn't make sense but here it is
760-631-2927
Old 11-29-11, 02:26 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Practicality. Try that with a 2-seater.
http://www.insideline.com/toyota/86/...-in-japan.html
Old 11-29-11, 02:48 PM
ST430
Pole Position

By definition they are not by having more than 2 seats

Crawford specializes in Subaru's, you don't have a Subaru, so its doesn't make sense but here it is
760-631-2927
Then why do you insist on saying that it is easy to circumvent CARB with modifications? /sigh

And in your world, the FR-S isn't a sports car since it has more than 2 seats? /scratches head.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!