Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-11, 02:50 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
what personal attacks?

This is lightweight car with 200hp and great handling.

You dont care about that, you preffer turbo'd car thats 700lbs heavier.

So this car is not for you.

What else needs to be said really?

You are dissapointed with weight of FRS, but you prefer Genesis Coupe that is 600-700lbs heavier.

As to the Cali and CARB, if mid 6s 0-60 is not good enough for you, then you "can" wait to see if there is higher powered factory version or even TRD turbo thats CARB legal (their S/C are).
Thanks repeating (again) what I have already said and continuing to avoid my direct criticsm of the FR-S I outlined earlier by concentrating on tangents specific to my particular tastes.
Old 11-29-11, 02:54 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subaru BRZ Spied On California Freeway
An alert reader spotted a lightly disguised Subaru BRZ on what appears to be a California freeway. Clad in only a tiny bit of camo, the spy photos don’t reveal much more than we’ve already seen, but are a neat look at the hotly anticipated Subaru sports car.

Old 11-29-11, 02:58 PM
ST430
Pole Position

what personal attacks?

This is lightweight car with 200hp and great handling.

You dont care about that, you preffer turbo'd car thats 700lbs heavier.

So this car is not for you.

What else needs to be said really?

You are dissapointed with weight of FRS, but you prefer Genesis Coupe that is 600-700lbs heavier.

As to the Cali and CARB, if mid 6s 0-60 is not good enough for you, then you "can" wait to see if there is higher powered factory version or even TRD turbo thats CARB legal (their S/C are).
M3? Shouldnt the Toyota fanboi in you know of the existence of IS-F?
If you look at Evo then WRX says hi.

Both cars very very different from FRS.
Sorry spwolf, I'm not that big of a fanboi as you are. Next time, I will make sure I mention them to meet your high standards.

Btw - are you affiliated or in any way paid / sponsored by Toyota directly or indirectly?
Old 11-29-11, 03:00 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motor
Judging from the side emblem as well as the front bumper shape that is 100% a 86 and not a BRZ, although spotting one in the US almost certainly means that the FR-S will have the same 86 emblem and not something else, which is good news in my book.

Last edited by ydooby; 11-29-11 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-29-11, 03:02 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ydooby
Practicality. Try that with a 2-seater.
http://www.insideline.com/toyota/86/...-in-japan.html
Since you're so into "practicality", why aren't you contemplating a 4seater like a WRX?
Old 11-29-11, 03:03 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Judging from the side emblem as well as the front bumper shape that is 100% a 86 and not a BRZ, although one has to wonder if the FR-S will have the same 86 emblem or something else.
Sounds about right. AutoGuide and the reader got it wrong.
Old 11-29-11, 03:05 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ST430
Since you're so into "practicality", why aren't you contemplating a 4seater like a WRX?
Because it doesn't look as sexy and isn't as nimble? There can be something in between a 2-seat pure sports car and a 5-door hot hatch you know.

BTW it isn't I that is into practicality, but it is simply the purpose of this car, a fun car for the common people.

Last edited by ydooby; 11-29-11 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-29-11, 03:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Thanks repeating (again) what I have already said and continuing to avoid my direct criticsm of the FR-S I outlined earlier by concentrating on tangents specific to my particular tastes.
you criticism is that you think it is overweight, and then in the same paragraph you like Genesis Coupe that is 700lbs heavier in turbo form.

I mean this car is 200lbs lighter than S2000, a two seater.

Almost 400 lbs lighter than RX8.

Due to weight and decent torque compared to both, it is not going to be particularly slower than either of them.
Old 11-29-11, 03:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Sorry spwolf, I'm not that big of a fanboi as you are. Next time, I will make sure I mention them to meet your high standards.

Btw - are you affiliated or in any way paid / sponsored by Toyota directly or indirectly?
of course, if I like FRS, i must be paid by Toyota... sure, i am their marketing guru and get paid billions... per day!

lol.
Old 11-29-11, 03:09 PM
xioix
Racer

Then why do you insist on saying that it is easy to circumvent CARB with modifications? /sigh

And in your world, the FR-S isn't a sports car since it has more than 2 seats? /scratches head.
The FRS/BRZ is not a sports car, but a sporty light weight car going to compete against the Miata
Old 11-29-11, 03:15 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Because it doesn't look as sexy and isn't as nimble? There can be something between a 2-seat pure sports car and a 5-door hot hatch you know.

BTW it isn't I that is into practicality, but it is simply the purpose of this car, a fun car for the common people.
As a former owner of 2 Supra TT, Sentea SE-R, S2000, ITR, Evo, and MR-S I think I know a bit what a pure sports car and practality is about a bit.

You do realize they made a WRX sedan and there was the 2+2 RX8.. That car must of gotten you more excited than ********..lol
Old 11-29-11, 03:21 PM
ST430
Pole Position

you criticism is that you think it is overweight, and then in the same paragraph you like Genesis Coupe that is 700lbs heavier in turbo form.

I mean this car is 200lbs lighter than S2000, a two seater.

Almost 400 lbs lighter than RX8.

Due to weight and decent torque compared to both, it is not going to be particularly slower than either of them.
Read again, I said I personally thought it was could of / should of been lighter (see diet plan of new Camry), but will have to see final US specs.

The Genisis was mentioned because if I could get the weight I wanted, it would provide the power levels and easy mod ability with a stock FI setup.

Screw the Rx8... Won't touch a wankel with a 5 ft pole!

I assume you do work for or are affiliated with Toyco or it's dealers then, since you avoided the question?
Old 11-29-11, 03:25 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xioix
The FRS/BRZ is not a sports car, but a sporty light weight car going to compete against the Miata
Awaits for SPWolf and TRD Fantasy to chime in...

Fwiw - the FR-S as well as all the other cars I mentioned are sports cars (well the ITR is a bit on the fence). To what degree is the question....
Old 11-29-11, 03:26 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

As a former owner of 2 Supra TT, Sentea SE-R, S2000, ITR, Evo, and MR-S I think I know a bit what a pure sports car and practality is about a bit.

You do realize they made a WRX sedan and there was the 2+2 RX8.. That car must of gotten you more excited than ********..lol
Again, different cars serve different purposes, so what makes you think the 86 has to cater to your needs?

The RX8 is 400lbs heavier than the 86 and the WRX sedan...seriously? Might as well throw some sporty utes like the EX35 into the mix. What's your point really?

The 86 is a good blend of fun, sexiness, lightweight, practicality and affordability. If you don't find the "blend" suit you, just get/wait for something else. It's utterly pointless to argue that the RX8 or the WRX is superior just because it has a different blend of these attributes.

Last edited by ydooby; 11-29-11 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-29-11, 03:35 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Again, different cars serve different purposes, so what makes you think the 86 has to cater to your needs?

The RX8 is 400lbs heavier than the 86 and the WRX sedan...seriously? Might as well throw some sporty utes like the EX35 into the mix. What's your point really?

The 86 is a good blend of fun, sexiness, lightweight, practicality and affordability. If you don't find the "blend" suit you, just get/wait for something else. It's utterly pointless to argue that the RX8 or the WRX is superior just because it has a different blend of these attributes.
Who said it absolutely had to cater to my needs?! I just found it hilariously that you keep comparing against 2 seaters for practicality sake especially to drift and carry tofu. Rotflol..

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!