Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-11, 03:42 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TRD should come out with a super charger or turbo charger that CARB legal within couple years.

I don't care about that, this is a car for me. I don't drive fast anymore, just wanna enjoy its handling and lightweightness. I am going to get the first white one available here, I already called my friend who works in Toyota Dealership and told him to call me as soon as it come in.

And being a Scion here is a plus for me, since there won't be any price negociaition.

Last edited by blacksc400; 11-29-11 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-29-11, 03:43 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Who said it absolutely had to cater to my needs?! I just found it hilariously that you keep comparing against 2 seaters for practicality sake especially to drift and carry tofu. Rotflol..
The tofu reference was obviously a joke. Can't believe you took that as the car's serious purpose. Geez. Thought the car's purpose was so obvious I didn't have to spell it out explicitly to you but oh well...here goes-- This car is for young people who may still live in an apartment with a 1-car parking spot with no need to carry more than 1 passenger around but still want to be able to go on a vacation with enough luggage room AND look sexy and have fun doing so.

Not hard to figure out is it?

Last edited by ydooby; 11-29-11 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-29-11, 03:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Read again, I said I personally thought it was could of / should of been lighter (see diet plan of new Camry), but will have to see final US specs.

The Genisis was mentioned because if I could get the weight I wanted, it would provide the power levels and easy mod ability with a stock FI setup.

Screw the Rx8... Won't touch a wankel with a 5 ft pole!

I assume you do work for or are affiliated with Toyco or it's dealers then, since you avoided the question?
no, it is not hard to google me up :-). My family used to own toyota dealership in eastern europe few years back, but i have no financial interest in making you like any toyota car... nor was that endaviour of theirs was ever good for my financial gain, on the contre. So when it comes to that I could only be bitter, and definitively not positive.

I expect this car to outgun MR-S in every possible way btw... dont you? I liked my MR-S, but this seems to have considerably nicer interior, handles better and is also faster. MR-S weak point was 1zz engine, which was very pedestrian in nature, while this thing is purpose built for sports car.
Old 11-29-11, 03:47 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
TRD should come out with a super charger or turbo charger that CARB legal within couple years.

I don't care about that, this is a car for me. I don't drive fast anymore, just wanna enjoy its handling and lightweightness. I am going to get the forst white one available here, I already called my friend who works in Toyota Dealership and told him to call me as soon as it come in.

And being a Scion here is a plus for me, since there won't be any price negociaition.
A TRD blower would be kool! And congrats on your selection already! Please make a thorough review especially anything you think is extraneous so we modders can lighten it a bit more! I'm still on the fence on it (as I was on the s2000 when it first came out hehe).
Old 11-29-11, 03:50 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ydooby
The tofu reference was obviously a joke. Can't believe you took that as the car's serious purpuse. Geez. Thought the car's purpose was so obvious I didn't have to spell it out explicitly to you but oh well... This car is for young people who may still live in an apartment with a 1-car parking spot with no need to carry more than 1 passenger around but still want to be able to go on a vacation with enough luggage room AND look sexy and have fun doing so.

Not hard to figure out is it?
Look up the term "being facetious". /rolleyes
So this car is only for those people, eh? Lol
Old 11-29-11, 03:52 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Look up the term "being facetious". /rolleyes
So this car is only for those people, eh? Lol
If it's not for you it must be useless. Yup.

May I suggest that you stop being a troll in this thread and offer something more constructive to talk about? We know this car is not for you already. What more do you want to say?
Old 11-29-11, 04:01 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
no, it is not hard to google me up :-). My family used to own toyota dealership in eastern europe few years back, but i have no financial interest in making you like any toyota car... nor was that endaviour of theirs was ever good for my financial gain, on the contre. So when it comes to that I could only be bitter, and definitively not positive.

I expect this car to outgun MR-S in every possible way btw... dont you? I liked my MR-S, but this seems to have considerably nicer interior, handles better and is also faster. MR-S weak point was 1zz engine, which was very pedestrian in nature, while this thing is purpose built for sports car.
That's a good question and one I hope is true. My MR-S is the bastard stepchild right now because my wife doesn't want it (after specifically asking for it! Doh!), and I use it primarily as a daily beater for its good mileage and the great summer days in Cali. I've contemplated a 2zz swap but going to old to deal with any complications and prefer something factory equipped. The next car is my choice and I'm a bit of a 90s sports car nastalgic kind of guy, and there's nothing that really interests me unfortunately. Maybe I just had such high hopes the T86.

Sorry, but I'm not trying to be difficult about the FR-S, just expressing one vantage point and felt as though I am being unnecessarily criticized as such. I have an affinity for all kinds of sports cars (as well as spots bikes), so can appreciate the FR-S for what it is and isn't as well. Just had high hopes for it, that's all!
Old 11-29-11, 04:05 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ydooby
If it's not for you it must be useless. Yup.

May I suggest that you stop being a troll in this thread and offer something more constructive to talk about? We know this car is not for you already. What more do you want to say?
Constructive? Troll...asking Santa get you a mirror for Xmas.

And thanks for telling me what I should and shouldn't get with you vast experience of "practical" sports cars... /rolleyes
Old 11-29-11, 04:07 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

And thanks for telling me what I should and shouldn't get with you vast experience of "practical" sports cars... /rolleyes
All you do in this thread is complain about how this car isn't hardcore enough for you, repeating over and over and over again. If this is not trolling I don't know what is.
Old 11-29-11, 04:09 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

And you're insinuating that I can easily modify the FR-S or any car and pass smog? Really? And no we're not talking about exhaust and intake. Please send me the phone # for Crawford Performance so i can have them turbo my existing car...k thx.
Engine swaps are perfectly legal in California. You just have to use the correct emissions equipment and a motor the same age or newer than the chassis. You just need to pass a referee inspection and thats it, the car will be registered as a legally swapped car from there on in.

There are several shops in California that do STI/WRX swaps into non-turbo Subaru's too. I have no doubt that we will be seeing swapped cars almost immediately after this car actually hits showrooms.
Old 11-29-11, 04:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

KEEP IT CIVIL PEOPLE.

ST430: we get your point: What could have been isn't. Thank you for your opinion, but the fact is that the Toyota GT is not gonna change with this current generation beyond what has already been revealed.

If you want something with more power, less weight; Acura said they were developing such a sports car...
Old 11-29-11, 04:15 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Subaru debut of the BRZ is starting right now

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/%E7%AC...83%B3%E3%82%B9
Old 11-29-11, 04:22 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
Engine swaps are perfectly legal in California. You just have to use the correct emissions equipment and a motor the same age or newer than the chassis. You just need to pass a referee inspection and thats it, the car will be registered as a legally swapped car from there on in.

There are several shops in California that do STI/WRX swaps into non-turbo Subaru's too. I have no doubt that we will be seeing swapped cars almost immediately after this car actually hits showrooms.
I'm well aware of this fact that you can swap with same year engine with same emissions in place (see my post about 1zz to 2zz swap above). But the question was pertaining to FI'ing an NA car which is a pain without the CARB certs in place, AMHIK.
Old 11-29-11, 04:28 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

I'm well aware of this fact that you can swap with same year engine with same emissions in place (see my post about 1zz to 2zz swap above). But the question was pertaining to FI'ing an NA car which is a pain without the CARB certs in place, AMHIK.
If you want to FI this motor, I would use bits from the upcoming turbo'ed FB motor and move to a state where its legal.

But I wouldn't do that either way. I'd swap in a 2.5 shortblock from an FB25 and make that work and keep it NA. That could pass california emissions without anyone ever knowing.
Old 11-29-11, 04:45 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Why do i have to keep repeating myself and continue hearing defense of this supposed "dragon awakening" car? I've continued to repeat that as is, it is not a car targeted for my demographic.
Maybe because you keep posting? I think everybody here already gets that "it's not for you" .. so... why do you continue to post in the thread?

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!