Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 02:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

well sure, everyone wants to get nav, xenons with led drls, auto air/wipers/lights/dimmers, but at the same time nobody wants to pay the price for it :-).

this is the same car, with less options... at very least BRZ will probably be fully equipped in NA if you want more... but I bet Scion will sell 5x more of these at 24k than Subaru of BRZ at >30k.
Old 12-01-11, 05:32 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully this starts at 21K for the base, the interior has been brutalized.

Last edited by venom21; 12-01-11 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-01-11, 05:59 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went to the reveal last night in LA and I wasn't all that excited with the red one =/

But the Greddy black FR-S was pretty nice!!!

Overall though, I think I'll be passing on this one. If I were in college still, this would probably be my first choice at a new car, but now that I've tasted Lexus already, I can't go back to Scion
Old 12-01-11, 06:14 AM
js619858
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iridebmx
i guess when i join the air force im buying a brand new car!
haha, that's what I did in 2002 when I joined the Air Force as a Military Police with a $4,000 bonus and making only $900 a month after taxes!

Bought me a brand new 2003 Lexus IS300 Sport Design! A mistake I think, only 18 year old with a brand new $30,000 Lexus in my whole unit!

My advice Buy used!
Old 12-01-11, 06:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by venom21
Hopefully this starts at 21K for the base, the interior has been brutalized.
it wont start at 21k just because it doesnt have digital air.
Old 12-01-11, 06:31 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
I hope Scion fails and teaches Toyota a lesson in not wasting their time with irrelevant brands that do nothing to help Toyota's image and instead water down great cars and also destroy the heritage of them. Time to bring back the Celica, boys.
Don't be a complete ***.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
They totally ruined the interior of the FR-S....wow....
Guys, seriously. All the changed was the Head unit and HVAC controls. The HVAC are the same as the JDM "low spec" .... which means the car will probably be lighter, and cheaper. It fulfills it's purpose perfectly. if you have an issue, get the BRZ... wtf is the problem?

I'm sure a Nav head unit will be optional. Also, you think you really NEED dual zone climate in a car this small? SMH.
Old 12-01-11, 07:25 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Don't be a complete ***.

Guys, seriously. All the changed was the Head unit and HVAC controls. The HVAC are the same as the JDM "low spec" .... which means the car will probably be lighter, and cheaper. It fulfills it's purpose perfectly. if you have an issue, get the BRZ... wtf is the problem?

I'm sure a Nav head unit will be optional. Also, you think you really NEED dual zone climate in a car this small? SMH.
THANK YOU.

My goodness its like logging in ClubBarbie.com or something with all the whining and *****ing.....we all knew it was going for a lower price point...

DId anyone actually read the gotdamn press release? The rear seats can be completely folded down and it can hold a track set of wheels, a floor jack and other track stuff.

They even mentioned the S2000 and paid nice homage.

Stop the damn whining all the time.

Old 12-01-11, 08:08 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't really agree that the FR-S should just be a bottom-end stripper model.

At face value, I think they have done a fine job of making the FRS into a (very) bare-bones RWD coupe that will be fun to drive. I think plenty of people will take to the car and probably buy it, be it enthusiasts or the average Joe/Jane. However, there will be a group of people, such as myself, who like the car a lot but want the premium features like LED headlights, auto climate control, nicer head unit, and heated seats. I'm ok with a few extra pounds if it will make me more comfortable, or make the car better to look at. Looking at the comments in this thread and considering the types of cars that most American’s buy, I think there is a sizable chunk of people who feel the same way. For these people, I'd personally like to see Scion release a higher spec model that has these features, not unlike how there have been different specs of tC in the past.

(Devil’s advocate: since most of the buyers won’t be enthusiasts, they probably won’t have any idea of what the GT86/86 offers that the FR-S doesn’t, so it’s not like they will be whining.)

The logical thing here is "go get the Subaru" but I don't think it's quite that easy. For 1, I hate the silver plastic going across the dash. It looks cheap as hell in all 3 cars, but the black/silver contrast in the Subaru is absolutely horrible. I also....just don't really want to buy a Subaru. For a lot of people in the U.S., Subaru is still a niche brand. Yes, they are getting bigger and more prominent, but they don't have the mass appeal of Scion/Toyota (then again, this isn't exactly a car for the masses, so take that for what it's worth).

My whole point here is that by offering a higher spec model, Scion could really broaden the appeal of the car. With a higher spec package, the FR-S could appeal to a different demographic and become the poor man’s Cayman but as it is now, I think the interior is just too cheap for that. It seems like Toyota/Subaru might have agreed to this arrangement, but if so, I think that was a mistake on Toyota's part.

After 14 years without a sports car, it's looking like Toyota fans will have one sportscar that's far too expensive and rare (LFA) to be realistic, and another that's going to be so cheap that nobody outside of 20-something males will want it (FR-S). Awesome

Last edited by MPLexus301; 12-01-11 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-01-11, 08:15 AM
LexFather

^^^I would pray LEXUS offers a higher spec model

Remember Scion has a set pricing structure and like "Mini" will offer tons of mods to increase the price of the vehicle. They want to start low. Scion has a low price point and a huge base MSRP jump would not be good.

I don't think most people in a Scion expect great interiors or features. They buy it for "fun" and customizability .

To me if this is priced like a Civc Si which is FWD with an interior just as bad, this is a complete no brainer. You are getting a RWD true all purpose sports car, not a gussied up FWD car to be sporty. They mention the fact its center of gravity is lower than a Porsche!!

To me all 3 are winners. To your point, the Subie might be the best blend of the 3 cars.

The engineers from day one have explained, this will be a bare bones car. We were shocked to see the NAV screen. So I'm not surprised the FR-S is bare bones. They delivered as promised.

Old 12-01-11, 09:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I've got to admit that the interior, from looks alone, doesn't impress me. It appears to have a number of the same cheap trim parts and *****/controls as other small Toyotas and Scions (some of which I recognize from prior-reviews). The new Scion tC's interior, IMO is especially disappointing, and some of those parts seem to have been transplanted here. Of course, It's been also pointed out (with at least some truth) that a lot of tC buyers generally care little for luxury-grade interiors, as they tend to customize a lot of theings to their own liking anyway. They will (likely) be the case with a lot of the potential customers of this car, too.
Old 12-01-11, 09:55 AM
Banikid
Lead Lap

I remember reading somewhere that Lexus might bring a sport coupe back into their line-up. I remember reading it in one of these threads but dont know where it is.... And its not the IS coupe.
Old 12-01-11, 10:02 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

I think the interior works for what this car is and the price point.

I actually like it. It has a retro 90's vibe.
Old 12-01-11, 10:20 AM
night87
Rookie

Default Official 2013 Scion FR-S by Night Import

How's it going guys (^-^)v
I attended yesterday's Scion FR-S debut and wanted to share some photos. Enjoy!

Official Scion FR-S coverage: http://www.nightimport.com/2011/12/n...cion-fr-s.html

Old 12-01-11, 10:31 AM
xioix
Racer

Are those 19"s or 18"s on the black FR-S?
Old 12-01-11, 10:33 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

The one from Greddy should be standard lol.... Hopefully if someone buys one they can ship it straight to Greddy so the end outcome is this... looks good..

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!