Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 10:38 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish I went there. Heard some people got USB drives in the shape of the 86 fender badge
Old 12-01-11, 10:57 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
For these people, I'd personally like to see Scion release a higher spec model that has these features, not unlike how there have been different specs of tC in the past.
Actually Scions are sold mono-spec (you get a choice of transmission) and then all other things are factory options/add-ons. However, they do make a Release Series version every year which is more of a special edition more than a trim level.

LED DRLs, fogs, larger exhaust, etc may be optional accessories.

Things like a nicer interior aren't going to happen in the FR-S. The only thing they'll probably change is stuff easily swapped out (nav, materials) but not something like having the dual climate added. It's plausible they'll make a release series with it. Two release series tCs to this date have changed interior options like standard nav or standard push button ignition and quite a number have changed interior materials (I actually own one of those with Alcantara interior).
Old 12-01-11, 11:05 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spy a red LF-A at the FR-S reveal.
Old 12-01-11, 11:16 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

good eye, see an MR2 too
Old 12-01-11, 11:44 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Don't really agree that the FR-S should just be a bottom-end stripper model.

At face value, I think they have done a fine job of making the FRS into a (very) bare-bones RWD coupe that will be fun to drive. I think plenty of people will take to the car and probably buy it, be it enthusiasts or the average Joe/Jane. However, there will be a group of people, such as myself, who like the car a lot but want the premium features like LED headlights, auto climate control, nicer head unit, and heated seats. I'm ok with a few extra pounds if it will make me more comfortable, or make the car better to look at. Looking at the comments in this thread and considering the types of cars that most American’s buy, I think there is a sizable chunk of people who feel the same way. For these people, I'd personally like to see Scion release a higher spec model that has these features, not unlike how there have been different specs of tC in the past.

(Devil’s advocate: since most of the buyers won’t be enthusiasts, they probably won’t have any idea of what the GT86/86 offers that the FR-S doesn’t, so it’s not like they will be whining.)

The logical thing here is "go get the Subaru" but I don't think it's quite that easy. For 1, I hate the silver plastic going across the dash. It looks cheap as hell in all 3 cars, but the black/silver contrast in the Subaru is absolutely horrible. I also....just don't really want to buy a Subaru. For a lot of people in the U.S., Subaru is still a niche brand. Yes, they are getting bigger and more prominent, but they don't have the mass appeal of Scion/Toyota (then again, this isn't exactly a car for the masses, so take that for what it's worth).

My whole point here is that by offering a higher spec model, Scion could really broaden the appeal of the car. With a higher spec package, the FR-S could appeal to a different demographic and become the poor man’s Cayman but as it is now, I think the interior is just too cheap for that. It seems like Toyota/Subaru might have agreed to this arrangement, but if so, I think that was a mistake on Toyota's part.

After 14 years without a sports car, it's looking like Toyota fans will have one sportscar that's far too expensive and rare (LFA) to be realistic, and another that's going to be so cheap that nobody outside of 20-something males will want it (FR-S). Awesome
I'm willing to bet that trim could be popped out and swapped in under 10 mins. You are a car guy aren't you? Re: The subaru brand; Could Subaru be any more niche than Scion? I doubt. Under the shell both cars are Identical, other than the badge I really can't see what the issue is. This is coming from me who was and probably am still a little adamant that building it as a scion is a mistake.

I also don't see where we have been without sports cars for 14 years... more like 5 since the Celica/MR2 were canned. I think this car is a VERY fitting revival... it goes to the core of what Sports cars are all about. It pretty much takes the LFA, sheds the technology, outlandishness, exclusivity and distills the joy and thrill of driving into an accessible package - both price and performance wise- for the common man.

I'm sure there is more to come too, but that will probably hinge on this particular car selling well, and IMHO, they have done what they needed to do to make that happen.

Last edited by MR_F1; 12-01-11 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-01-11, 11:45 AM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

I'd like to see a Lexus version too. Maybe put the H6 in there with a full Nuluxe interior (and optional real leather of course).
Old 12-01-11, 11:53 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
I'd like to see a Lexus version too. Maybe put the H6 in there with a full Nuluxe interior (and optional real leather of course).
Since a Lexus version will likely add a lot of weight with all the amenities, it might as well turn into a 2-seat roadster to compete with the likes of the Z4 and SLK.
Old 12-01-11, 01:29 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

Wired has some positive impressions:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/11...86-subaru-brz/
Old 12-01-11, 01:51 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Since a Lexus version will likely add a lot of weight with all the amenities, it might as well turn into a 2-seat roadster to compete with the likes of the Z4 and SLK.
Forget the H6. Dry sump the 2GR, toss the rear seats, move dash and front seats back, seat the GR low and behind the front axles. Pimp the interior further, and unleash. I'm sure they can keep it under 3000lbs.

Do it Lexus. Doooooooo iiiiiiiiiiitttttttt.
Old 12-01-11, 02:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Toyota version is already loaded... it has xenons, dual auto air, seat warmers, 7" nav system with entune, led drls, auto lights, auto wipers, auto dimmer, smart entry...... all versions also have fabric/leather on door trims and rest of interior as well (like Camry).

so there isnt anything smart for lexus version to add, it has same equipment as CTh, if not more.

And if there isnt an premium Scion version, there will be Subaru which looks like exactly the same car no matter what Subaru tries to convey in their PRs.
Old 12-01-11, 02:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've got to admit that the interior, from looks alone, doesn't impress me. It appears to have a number of the same cheap trim parts and *****/controls as other small Toyotas and Scions (some of which I recognize from prior-reviews). The new Scion tC's interior, IMO is especially disappointing, and some of those parts seem to have been transplanted here. Of course, It's been also pointed out (with at least some truth) that a lot of tC buyers generally care little for luxury-grade interiors, as they tend to customize a lot of theings to their own liking anyway. They will (likely) be the case with a lot of the potential customers of this car, too.
not really... check the application of fabric around doors, leather handbrake, leather steering wheel, leather shifter with double red stiching...Of course, it has same high end bucket seats as leather versions do, just in fabric. his actually looks a lot more upscale than tC, with exception of manual climate controls which bring everything down I guess.

I think Scion head unit is good looking and it is actually good unit. It is probably a lot better than non-nav unit that will be sold in rest of the world, in Toyota versions. I mean not everyone will get nav, heck most likely most people wont pay extra for Toyota nav :-).

I know that in Europe, some distributors like Toyota GB has said that there will be only single spec - top spec, but I consider that as BAD. Because that means that the car will be very expensive. With all due respect to everyone, I am not sure I would pay extra $5k to get premium version over base one as this would be 2nd car in the family.
Old 12-01-11, 02:13 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm kind of glad they are introducing it as a stripped out model. It will keep the weight as well as the price down. If US spec for base model is at 2600lbs, that would be very nice! I can see shaving off at least another 100-150 lbs via cf hood and trunk, battery, racing seats, rpf1 wheels, and ti exhaust. It also gives me hope that they may make a racer model devoid of even creature comforts like AC and power windows like on the tC.

btw - are those running lights and/or blinkers where the fogs would be at?

Last edited by ST430; 12-01-11 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-01-11, 02:30 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
Toyota version is already loaded... it has xenons, dual auto air, seat warmers, 7" nav system with entune, led drls, auto lights, auto wipers, auto dimmer, smart entry...... all versions also have fabric/leather on door trims and rest of interior as well (like Camry).

so there isnt anything smart for lexus version to add, it has same equipment as CTh, if not more.

And if there isnt an premium Scion version, there will be Subaru which looks like exactly the same car no matter what Subaru tries to convey in their PRs.
Well I expect the Lexus version to come with--on top of what the high-spec 86 already has--18" wheels, 9-speaker premium audio system with subwoofer, and a lot more sound-insulation. With all these it can easily approach 1,300kg, which happens to be the weight of the 120i coupe.

Still if I were Lexus I'd make it a roadster just to distance itself from the Toyota/Scion/Subaru versions. As a coupe the Lexus would once again scream "I'm a tarted-up Toyota", which is the last thing I want to see. (Are you listening Lexus?)

Last edited by ydooby; 12-01-11 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-01-11, 06:24 PM
xioix
Racer

Well I expect the Lexus version to come with--on top of what the high-spec 86 already has--18" wheels, 9-speaker premium audio system with subwoofer, and a lot more sound-insulation. With all these it can easily approach 1,300kg, which happens to be the weight of the 120i coupe.

Still if I were Lexus I'd make it a roadster just to distance itself from the Toyota/Scion/Subaru versions. As a coupe the Lexus would once again scream "I'm a tarted-up Toyota", which is the last thing I want to see. (Are you listening Lexus?)
That would defeat the whole purpose of this affordable driver focused car
Old 12-01-11, 06:32 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xioix
That would defeat the whole purpose of this affordable driver focused car
Well simply making a Lexus 86 clone will defeat the purpose of Lexus as a luxury brand.

The end result of a Lexus roadster, though much heavier than the 86, will still be lighter and drive better than the Z4 2.0i I reckon, while providing the premium car experience one expects from a premium brand.

Last edited by ydooby; 12-01-11 at 09:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!