Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-12, 11:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
So cool!!! Here it is holding the 4 track whees and tools like the car was designed in mind for!! Pics at MotorTrend

Real track tires don't have grooves in the tread....
Old 02-29-12, 02:37 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Real track tires don't have grooves in the tread....
True but the illustration is there to prove a point. FR-S/86/BRZ is a purpose built sports car.
Old 02-29-12, 09:22 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by flipside909
True but the illustration is there to prove a point. FR-S/86/BRZ is a purpose built sports car.
Not if it automatically closes the throttle when you put on the brakes with your left foot, and I'm sure it does this. Anyone going for a track event will be disconnecting the brake light switch if they have any plans of going fast at all.
Old 03-01-12, 08:47 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/toyot...o-2882669.html
Toyota 86 Cabrio
The summer 2012 is coming too soon. But for the future can look forward fans of open-athletes in Japan the Toyota GT convertible 86. The start time is open, the price probably passable.

Toyota plans to the sports car GT 86 bring a roadster version on the market, such as lead developer Tetsuya Tada has confirmed in an interview. "The GT 86 was designed from the outset that we can build it as a convertible." A decision to open when the Toyota comes on the market, has fallen as yet. The technique takes the Roadster from the Coupe : A two-liter boxer engine with 197 horsepower from Toyota subsidiary Subaru drives the rear axle. The prices should start at around 35,000 €.
Hairdresser.

Old 03-01-12, 09:55 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lol this is one of those cars that I can't wait until the the give it a face-lift

I wouldn't mind a convertible to play around in though
Old 03-01-12, 09:57 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Not if it automatically closes the throttle when you put on the brakes with your left foot, and I'm sure it does this. Anyone going for a track event will be disconnecting the brake light switch if they have any plans of going fast at all.
The glass is half empty.
Old 03-01-12, 11:04 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The convertible looks really nice...such a car could be great for Toyota
Old 03-01-12, 11:27 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motor
As long as they're keeping the hardtop coupe intact I don't see why you would give a thumb down to their offering an open-top as an option. More variations means a wider range of audience, and that means more sales and profits to offset the costs associated with developing an all-new chassis and engine, which will eventually lead to more business cases to the Toyota management to develop more sporty cars in the future.

Last edited by ydooby; 03-01-12 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-01-12, 04:17 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
As long as they're keeping the hardtop coupe intact I don't see why you would give a thumb down to their offering an open-top as an option. More variations means a wider range of audience, and that means more sales and profits to offset the costs associated with developing an all-new chassis and engine, which will eventually lead to more business cases to the Toyota management to develop more sporty cars in the future.
Exactly this
Old 03-01-12, 05:16 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
So cool!!! Here it is holding the 4 track whees and tools like the car was designed in mind for!! Pics at MotorTrend

Is it just me or are the seats a bit forward with the race tires in the back. I'm not that tall, but the driver's seat looks closer to the steering wheel than I prefer. BUT photos can be deceiving. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

You think this will stay on even with Traction Control off? This is why I don't like too many nanny gadgets.

Last edited by dsp979; 03-01-12 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-01-12, 07:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The glass is half empty.
How about the competition won't need to do the same things and they're plentiful? That's why this statement is so full of lose:

...FR-S/86/BRZ is a purpose built sports car.
The MX-5 will still be the car to buy for the track.
Old 03-03-12, 10:29 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
I'll just get to the point: I absolutely hate convertibles. That's why I gave it a thumbs down. I fully understand how expanding a model range helps the bottom-line. One doesn't have to look any further than the Prius and it's ever expanding family.

Anyone remember this 2000 Toyota Celica Convertible Concept?

Probably not. IMO, I do hope a 86/FR-S/BRZ convertible concept is made, and then killed off at the last minute just like the Celica above. Because like I said, I absolutely hate convertibles.
Old 03-03-12, 02:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

i dont understand why would anyone want Toyota not to produce convertible... if you dont like it, then dont buy it, but what is the problem with them offering?
Old 03-03-12, 02:47 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont understand why would anyone want Toyota not to produce convertible... if you dont like it, then dont buy it, but what is the problem with them offering?
Then don't try to understand. If they did produce an 86/FR-S/BRZ hairdresser edition, of course I wouldn't buy it. No ****. I didn't say there was a problem with them offering a convertible. I only said I hate convertibles. I would hate this one as well. You're reading too much into it.

HKS Racing 86:

http://youtu.be/_lcCvNyUmt8

Last edited by Motor; 03-03-12 at 02:58 PM. Reason: URL
Old 03-03-12, 03:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Motor
Then don't try to understand. If they did produce an 86/FR-S/BRZ hairdresser edition, of course I wouldn't buy it. No ****. I didn't say there was a problem with them offering a convertible. I only said I hate convertibles. I would hate this one as well. You're reading too much into it.

HKS Racing 86:

http://youtu.be/_lcCvNyUmt8
take it easy bro.... all friends here.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!