Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-12, 03:33 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ Kind of sad to see/read.

The majority of car reviewers praise the car itself, but when compared to a competitor, it's not so great. I hope they give it the credit it deserves when other reviewers do more comparo tests.
Old 04-21-12, 06:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
scans of the Evo comparison at : http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5182

Interestingly enough, the BRZ tested was an auto. Although handling was great, they cited how cheap and underpowered the car was comparing against others.

These comparos will get more interesting as more mags test it subjectively and objectively, but i don't think the BRZ/FRS twins are going to fare well.... =/
why? Autocar tested it vs MX-5 and 370z and...

Let me quote from there...

Best car from Japan since NSX
Neither MX-5 nor 370 can thrill at that level. Although they are anything but by most standards, they look like blunt, dull communicators here, outclassed by new affordable drivers car of amazing delicacy and extraordinary talent.
Evo article is weird... first of all it is auto, which is ridiculous really, then they basically say how much better BRZ handler is, but they like MX-5 and 370z because of their bad handling.

Basically they want BRZ to handle worse and not so perfect, and they want more power... I think with 6MT "result" (it wasnt really a test) would have been different because why in the world would you go on mountain roads with AT and GT86 would work better for them because it would kick the rear out more.

Also, in German Autobild GT86, it "won" against Mini Coupe turbo.
Autobild called it "best sports car in recent years" in the comparo. They even said that Mini Coupe has "legendary handling" but that BRZ is so much better.

So i wouldnt be much worried about test... I dont see why everyone has to like it.
Old 04-22-12, 08:52 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll hold out for the DI 2.0L Turbo variant, which I am sure is coming. This engine is rumored for 275 HP in the upcoming WRX, perhaps more potent than it needs to be, but that's another topic. I certainly have not driven the BRZ, but it sounds comparable to so many of these decent HP, but no torque (V tech if you will) type vehicles which are aqequate, but not hair raising.

After owning a turbo Subaru, I just don't see myself not owning another one without FI. My LGT goes from 3000 to 6800 RPM in a blink of an eye and it's an experience that I love. So it sounds like Subaru is putting this potency in a smaller, more efficient package and that is what people are really going to be excited about.
Old 04-22-12, 01:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I'll hold out for the DI 2.0L Turbo variant, which I am sure is coming. This engine is rumored for 275 HP in the upcoming WRX, perhaps more potent than it needs to be, but that's another topic. I certainly have not driven the BRZ, but it sounds comparable to so many of these decent HP, but no torque (V tech if you will) type vehicles which are aqequate, but not hair raising.

After owning a turbo Subaru, I just don't see myself not owning another one without FI. My LGT goes from 3000 to 6800 RPM in a blink of an eye and it's an experience that I love. So it sounds like Subaru is putting this potency in a smaller, more efficient package and that is what people are really going to be excited about.
it is very different vehicle from any subaru, even if they make that 280hp version or TRD makes the accessory S/C, it is not that simple, you cant just slam it whenever you want like with AWD, you would end up wrapped around some pole, like so many of those ferrari pics we see.
Old 04-22-12, 06:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

“How was it Kim?” When I can, I always make it a point to debrief our testing director and handling/ride quality guru Kim Reynolds whenever he climbs out of a car that’s just been figure eighted. Not only is everything fresh in his mind, but there’s no editing whatsoever. Also, Kim hates it when I quote him and I like upsetting Kim. “It’s just… fantastic.” He went on to say that the 2013 Subaru BRZ, Subaru’s new RWD sports coupe, handled better than the $178,000+ Porsche, Godzilla and the McLaren he’d put around our figure eight hours earlier. I’d call that big praise, no? Everyone else who drove the BRZ had similar impressions, and then the car went away before I had a chance to have a go. But then, fate intervened and the Subaru PR lady came back. “Please, please, please!” I begged. “You can do one donut — but that’s it,” was her reply. Not a problem, and while it wasn’t exactly a donut, I did get enough of an impression to conclude that the seats are excellent, the shifter feels wonderful and the power delivery is both linear and spot on. Oh, and you should never do any slidey side-to-side stuff when there’s an open purse on the passenger seat. Prediction: Subaru has a hit on its hands.

Read more: http://blogs.motortrend.com/the-week...#ixzz1sp6ReIEt

Just got my June issue of Motor Trend and they have a write up on the BRZ Limited 6MT.

Good numbers for the numbers group...0-60 in 6.4 seconds. 1/4 mile in 14.9 @ 95.5 mph. This is just about what my 1989 Porsche 911 clocks at and in its time was considered one of the fasters and quickest cars. I still think my 911 is quick and fast and so enjoyable to drive, so I'm looking forward my BRZ.
I can't talk about my Scion FR-S drive experience just yet -- another embargo, dontcha know -- but I think I can get away with telling you that it made me very, very happy. But that didn't last long, because as soon as I handed back the keys, I had to get to work posting my Acura ILX review. And the ILX did not make me happy. In fact, it's kind of made me a bit upset.
about.com

- embargo on Scion FR-S ends this upcoming week :-). Based on impression of reviewers, everyone loved the car and i have read that it has set 3rd best time ever on figure8@motortrend.
Old 04-22-12, 07:20 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't know about better handling, but it's certainly different. When you have a car that weighs next to nothing, it's going to be much easier to toss around than a 4000lbs GTR. The lightweight sensation certainly helps.
Old 04-23-12, 06:14 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Old 04-23-12, 06:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Subaru guys look soooo boring, Toyota does it so much better with goofy guys:

Old 04-23-12, 09:15 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

hahah QFT

toyota tells a much better story too
huge difference in the way these two companies go about marketing
reflects the difference in marketing budget each company has to work with too
Old 04-23-12, 09:35 PM
LexFather

Lets be honest...like the GS this chassis could use more power...lets hope it gets it....

Not sure why EVO tested an auto..weird..

Old 04-24-12, 07:42 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sicklex
lets be honest...like the gs this chassis could use more power...lets hope it gets it.....
qft! +100000000000000
Old 04-24-12, 08:24 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

This is a more flattering picture of him heh, and yes, marketing needs more excitement like this guy.
Old 04-24-12, 10:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lets be honest...like the GS this chassis could use more power...lets hope it gets it....

Not sure why EVO tested an auto..weird..
I had MR-S with 140hp and it needed more power.... I had Corolla TS with 192hp (180hp SAE) and it didnt need more power.... it was perfectly fine so BRZ/FR-S will be perfectly fine... of course with manual.
Old 04-24-12, 11:05 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
I don't know about better handling, but it's certainly different. When you have a car that weighs next to nothing, it's going to be much easier to toss around than a 4000lbs GTR. The lightweight sensation certainly helps.
To quote Colin Chapman of Lotus:

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."

This is why I like smaller, lighter cars.
Old 04-25-12, 09:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Different results from FR-S

Sixty miles per hour is reached in 6.6 seconds (6.3 seconds with one foot of rollout like on a drag strip), and the quarter-mile in 14.8 seconds at 93.8 mph. Yes, this result is notably quicker and faster than the BRZ, which did those deeds in 7.3, 7.0, and 15.3 seconds at 92.1, respectively. What's going on?
But you don't have to fling the FR-S to enjoy it. The chassis is pinprick-precise, every steering input from the quick rack is rewarded by immediate, slack-free response. You think it; it does it. You won't find this kind of immediacy in a Hyundai Genesis Coupe or Ford Mustang. Meanwhile, there's enough compliance in the suspension to suit daily use. It's appropriately sporting-firm without jiggling every appendage.
http://www.insideline.com/scion/fr-s...full-test.html

It is also more playful which hurts real speed in tests but feels nicer in real life.

http://www.insideline.com/scion/fr-s...full-test.html

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!