Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-12, 07:52 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I missed 6MT so much, but I just don't need another car now. I can't get rid of the SC or RX (family car for my 6 month old daughter). My wife only does like 1% of driving & its a waste of insurance premium to keep three cars.

This is quite suck since this car is so affordable, fun, sexy, but I can't get one due to practical reason!!!.
I wish they would have this at rental!!! Perhap I should request to this as my loaner when I take my Sc/RX for service
Old 06-12-12, 10:39 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-12-12, 12:36 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

180hp and 144 lb-ft of torque? Pretty stout numbers. 168mph is pretty awesome too!
Old 06-12-12, 12:42 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I wonder how much the top speed is in the real world... You know, with a 168 mph headwind.
Old 06-12-12, 02:02 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I am picking this baby up tomorrow (if the insurance papers go through). The guy at the dealership said, I am 1 of 24 people in Quebec that will have it this year. What is awesome, the previous guy that was going to buy the car, didnt go through with it, seeing he won the lottery.
Old 06-12-12, 02:38 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
I am picking this baby up tomorrow (if the insurance papers go through). The guy at the dealership said, I am 1 of 24 people in Quebec that will have it this year. What is awesome, the previous guy that was going to buy the car, didnt go through with it, seeing he won the lottery.
Congrats Jesse!

Are you replacing your current ride or adding this one to the stable?

That reminds me, I need to buy the lottery today too.
Old 06-12-12, 03:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Sat in a black FRS today, the interior materials are very impressive for the cost of the car.

Very nice car!
Old 06-12-12, 03:22 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
... I can't get one due to practical reason!!!
That's why you buy sports cars for impractical reasons.
Old 06-12-12, 03:32 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
That's why you buy sports cars for impractical reasons.
Originally Posted by grabber2
I missed 6MT so much, but I just don't need another car now. I can't get rid of the SC or RX (family car for my 6 month old daughter). My wife only does like 1% of driving & its a waste of insurance premium to keep three cars.

This is quite suck since this car is so affordable, fun, sexy, but I can't get one due to practical reason!!!.
How is an SC (2 seater with oompa loompa rear seats) more practical than an FR-S/br-z (that can seat 4 better -I think)?

Last edited by GS3Tek; 06-12-12 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-12-12, 04:27 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Individual
Congrats Jesse!

Are you replacing your current ride or adding this one to the stable?

That reminds me, I need to buy the lottery today too.
It is being added

I should go buy one also, Lotto Max is $50 million Who knows if I win that I can get the LFA N-ring edition that is for sale in N. Carolina
Old 06-12-12, 04:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Any of you guys who want one, you may need to get on a waiting list. These cars are not going to be produced in large numbers.....and, of course, will be split between Subaru and Scion dealerships. My local home-Subaru-shop, for example, (which is a decent-sized place) is only going to get 20 of them this year. Every one that comes in is pre-sold (which is why I haven't been able to do a test-drive). For a number of reasons (including simple respect for others), I won't test-drive a car that is already sold, unless it is with and for someone I am car-shopping with, to check the car out for defects and needed-repairs.
Not true Mike, look below and I can pick one up as well here..Now if you want a particular color/option package etc you might be in trouble and have to wait....

The plants can build up to 100k of these 3 vehicles a year....

Originally Posted by JessePS
Congrats!!!

Old 06-12-12, 04:47 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The top speed numbers on the dyno is pretty useless. We all know that it won't do 168 but I guess we know that with the stock gearing it'll do 168 when modified. But the HP and tq numbers are damn impressive.
Old 06-12-12, 07:26 PM
grabber2
Racer

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
How is an SC (2 seater with oompa loompa rear seats) more practical than an FR-S/br-z (that can seat 4 better -I think)?
That's why I have a practical but boring RX for my lovely baby girl. The SC is impractical but it can go TOP LESS

I miss the old days when I own the SC & RSX at the same time
Old 06-12-12, 07:30 PM
grabber2
Racer

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
That's why I have a practical but boring RX for my lovely baby girl. The SC is impractical but it can go TOP LESS

I miss those days of having both SC & RSX. If my wife drive to work, I can definite get another car.....too bad she take mass transit
Old 06-13-12, 04:02 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
dude, cars were driven in the same way for the comparo in the Motortrend... And 2.0T got 10 MPG worse. What exactly are you talking about? Are you thinking they babied the FRS but gunned 2.0T all the time? That is ridiculous, especially since FRS is NA, I bet they revved it a lot more than 2.0T.

I know you want to like the Hyundai but every journalist reported the same about it. It is not a very good car.
um bro'...i'm not a Hyundai fanboi. I'm an engineer by profession. I look and assess things on basis of objectivity and facts not subjectivity and feelings. You take one report as gospel, whereas i take it with a grain of salt. if you can't understand this type of scientific approach and reasoning, i'm sorry but no one can help you there. Making blanket statement like ALL turbo engines make worse gas mileage based compression ratio is the most inane / senseless logic i have ever heard on the auto forums. Stop being such a Toyco fanboi. If the car is as good as you say, it will speak for itself. I know I'm contemplating it, though holding out for a hipo version. 'Nuff said and if you want to deliberate more, due it through PM....dude.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!