Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-09 | 11:02 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I really like this. I was expecting ugly
Looks WAY better than the FT-HS concept
Old 10-06-09 | 11:03 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

And the modding begins lol........

Old 10-06-09 | 11:06 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i'm not feeling the front bumper...
I agree too, the grill and the bumper looks a bit awkward. But this is not production yet ...
Old 10-06-09 | 11:08 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cherplex

Almost anything looks better with LM's
Old 10-06-09 | 11:39 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I think they should just call it the Toyota AE86....or if the concept is FT-86A,then AE-86A
Originally Posted by Blackraven
It says ADVICS

They are a Japanese company (that has presence in Japan and overseas) that specializes in automotive braking systems, parts and components.

http://www.advics.co.jp/eng/index.html
Thx for the ID!

Originally Posted by Bildilla
FT-86 video!!

See the car in new GT5 promo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oOXdKcdpZ8
Neat, thanks for the link!
Old 10-06-09 | 11:45 AM
Needler56
Driver

Originally Posted by cherplex

what rims are those?
Old 10-06-09 | 11:46 AM
Needler56
Driver

oh nm, bbs?
Old 10-06-09 | 11:50 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by STIG
This is probably the most exciting new ever come out from toyota in 20 years!
I know it seems like 20... but i'd say..... bout 5-10 no? I liked the MR-S, was bitterly disappointed that it didn't come with the 2ZZ stock.

Originally Posted by jruhi4
I'm going to be the contrarian that disagrees and thinks that it will, instead, revive another name from Toyota's past: Celica.

Agreed, that's what I'm hoping for too.
Old 10-06-09 | 11:55 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

No weight info? I think that could possibly be a deal breaker if it's "too heavy."
Old 10-06-09 | 11:59 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
I hope not. I think Toyota needs to pay attention to their main brand and bring it back to life.
Exactly. A fwd coupe for $16k will do just fine for scion.... then again, a Scion mR (2!!!!!) would not be a bad thing either.
Old 10-06-09 | 12:06 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
No weight info? I think that could possibly be a deal breaker if it's "too heavy."
The PR did stress twice about its lightness, so I don't think you need to worry.
Originally Posted by Toyota PR
Display vehicles

1. FT-86 Concept (world premiere)
- The FT-86 ("86" pronounced "hachi roku"), a compact rear-wheel-drive sports car, provides driving joy and excitement.
Compact design gives driver greater control, while body's lightness and low center of gravity allow racecar-like handling
- Both power and environmental performance provided by 2-liter boxer engine and light body
- Flash Red body color contains hint of blue; interior expresses modern feel with minimal coverage of the highly refined structural components evoking enthusiasm for cruising
Old 10-06-09 | 12:18 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mister Two
The PR did stress twice about its lightness, so I don't think you need to worry.
Yeah well Nissan did the same with the 370z and we all know how that turned out...
Old 10-06-09 | 12:30 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

as good as this car looks...... any toyota coupe project is destined to fail.

look at the celica and supra. toyota discontinued both either because they were not profitable, or something else.

unless they'll stick to it this time regardless of sales numbers...
Old 10-06-09 | 12:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Yeah well Nissan did the same with the 370z and we all know how that turned out...
I felt this was important in the press release..

Tada also said it gets a dedicated chassis, noting that “enthusiasts don't want a shared platform.”

Platform sharing is cheaper but it increases weight across all vehicles as sports cars share parts with SUVs etc...since this will have its own platform, it will be light.

Another example is the IS 200/300/Altezza had its own platform and it is much lighter than the IS 220d/250/300/350/IS-F which is based off the bigger heavier GS.

This goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to what I heard that Toyota did have mules of a Supra/coupe based on the IS/GS chassis but they were unhappy with overall handling and felt it was too heavy.

Originally Posted by dunnojack
as good as this car looks...... any toyota coupe project is destined to fail.

look at the celica and supra. toyota discontinued both either because they were not profitable, or something else.

unless they'll stick to it this time regardless of sales numbers...
tC and SC?
Old 10-06-09 | 12:59 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

I came back to say I love it. I'll probably be in the market for a new car in about 2 years, so this thing should be right on schedule. Too bad there will probably be outrageous dealer markups on these.

The only things that don't look production-ready on the exterior are lights (Silvia much?), wheels, brakes, suspension. The side mirrors look like they would be good to go. Expect the height to increase by about an inch for the production model.

I hope they keep the rear exhaust/diffuser setup. It looks like the windows are frameless. I heart frameless windows, so I hope that doesn't change.

The original plan was to make this in Subaru's Ota Gunma plant and sell them as Subarus everywhere but Japan. I'm sure it will still be made in Subaru's plant, but being revealed as a Toyota, I wonder if the distribution strategy has changed?

No way are they going to, or should, market this as a Corolla (maybe it would fly in Japan, but nowhere else). Call it the Celica, FT-86, or something else, but not a Corolla. Car enthusiasts who frequent the interwebs might understand if it was called a Corolla, but it would just confuse everyone else.

I wonder what their production targets are? Maybe 30K/year?

I hope it comes with a nice set of 5-spokes from the factory. The interior is obviously not production, but looks like they took the same approach as Honda with the CR-Z (clustered electro-luminescent controls around the wheel). The latest CR-Z "concept" has basically a production-ready interior, and I would expect this car to end up looking similar in terms of layout and such.

Toyota sure is taking their sweet time. This could be for one of two reasons, both of which are understandable. First, they could be waiting for the economy to sort itself out instead of launching such an important project to a cool reception. Second, they are taking the time and doing it right. Debut the concept now, spend 2010 getting feedback and fine-tuning, and release it to production in 2011.

I enjoy my current turbo'd Subaru, but I would actually like to see this with the NA 2.0L boxer pushing about 225HP. Even if they gave it a small turbo (and you can bet it wouldn't be twin-scroll) and had it make 280HP, that wouldn't necessarily guarantee it victory over 370Z's or 135i's at the stoplight or on the freeway. This car isn't going to be about straight-line speed. It will be acceptably quick from the factory, but they should focus on handling, which I'm sure they're doing. Toyota has always been good about brakes, so I'm not worried about that.

Everybody is giving this car a warm welcome because it deserves it. Designed-in-Japan, Made-in-Japan, looks the business, proven powertrain concept, WELLLLL under $30K, collaboration with Subaru gives it even more 'legitimacy', aaaand...when was the last time Toyota made a RWD car that sucked? This was always going to be a winner from the word "go." A total no-brainer, the market's been screaming bloody murder for it for years, just a shame it's taken this long.

As for pricing/trims, here's what I would like to see:

They should take an approach similar to Hyundai with the Genesis, several well thought-out levels without any significant stand-alone options.

(Remember, these will be the prices in 2011+)

Base: ~$24.5K, all the usual conveniences and safety goodies including VSC, for GOD'S SAKE please make a real "super" (non-viscous) LSD (like the RX-8's) standard, make an auto-dimming mirror standard (needed in a low sports car like this), A/C, 4-speaker stereo, PW, PL, blah, blah, blah, 17" wheels with 225-width SUMMER rubber

Grand Touring package: ~$2500, includes HIDs, small NAV screen, possibly leather (?), JBL stereo, 18" wheels, specially-calibrated Bilsteins

Track package (can be combined with Grand touring package): ~$2500, upgraded brakes and tires (ADVAN), more free-flowing exhaust, specially-calibrated Bilsteins (would replace those from the GT package if equipped), mega-bolstered seats (similar to RX-8 R3's Recaros)

That is IT. NO major stand-alone options (like HIDs, NAV, leather, etc.). So for about ~$29K factory sticker, a fantastic fully-loaded TRUE sports car that could be used for daily-driving or the track.

It will OWN FACE. BRING IT!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I believe it will have its own dedicated platform, but that platform will consist 99% of items from the Subaru parts bin. They've probably been utilizing the Impreza/Legacy components as much as possible to keep development and eventual production costs down. This isn't really a bad thing, though. I wouldn't be too upset if it comes in at 2800-2900lbs., and I pretty much expect it to. It'll be lighter than the 370Z (hopefully!!), but it's not going to be as light as a Miata, mmkay class?

Last edited by SecPole14; 10-06-09 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!