Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-12, 08:09 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad day
Old 06-16-12, 08:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for being honest, Motor.

Nobody has any excuse to throw any stones at you here. Although my driving record, especially as a teen-ager, is better then most, I wasn't immune myself from making an occasional dumb mistake....we all have, to some degree. I wrecked the front end of a Plymouth on snow/ice when I was 17...fortunately, as with you and your friend, neither me or my friend riding with me was hurt (and that was long before airbags). The important thing is that you learn from it......which you apparantly have. That's what insurance is for....and with some insurance companies (my own, GEICO, is an example), if you keep your nose clean for 5 years and get no more chargeable accidents, you get the Accident-Forgiveness program which waives the rate -increase for an accident.

Yes, I know I may have been a little hard on Lindsay Lohan, in another thread here, for her wrecking two expensive Mercedes AMG products and a Porsche 911...but, unlike you, she apparantly didn't learn her lesson the first time.

Both airbags deployed.

I must've been going 15-20mph.
That's usually enough criteria. In general, front air-bag sensors are set to go off with the G-forces equivalent to about a 14-MPH crash.
Old 06-16-12, 08:15 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for being honest, Motor.
That's not me or my car. I just posted that information from FT-86 Club here.
Old 06-16-12, 08:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Motor
That's not me or my car. I just posted that information from FT-86 Club here.
OK...sorry. It looked to me at first like one of your posts....but I see it was someone named "neutral". But, anyhow, kudos to him (or her) for being honest...that person set an example.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-16-12 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-16-12, 09:03 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

And the insurance rate begins to rise...

There is no reason to ever turn off traction control. For many, the FR-S/BR-Z will be their first RWD car and will get excited behind the wheel.

If I bought an FR-S, first thing I'll do is replace those ECO tires with something gripper/more predictable.
Old 06-16-12, 10:21 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg

There is no reason to ever turn off traction control. For many, the FR-S/BR-Z will be their first RWD car and will get excited behind the wheel.

If I bought an FR-S, first thing I'll do is replace those ECO tires with something gripper/more predictable.
I am so never turning off VSC/TRAC. I'll keep it in sports mode and the dinky Prius tires
Old 06-16-12, 10:36 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

For a fraction of the cost of fixing a crashed car, one can take a high-performance driving class to learn car control. Not only cheaper than fixing a wreck but it's a lot more fun.
Old 06-16-12, 10:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

those tires are extremely predictable though... something grippier would let him go through at 1mph more but probably would go sidewise a lot faster too.
Old 06-16-12, 11:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

are the scion/subie tires run flats?
Old 06-16-12, 11:27 AM
LexFather

neutral
Hey everyone.

I'm the idiot that crashed the FR-S. Not really sure where to begin, so I'll start with how it happened.

I was on my way to lunch with a coworker. There's a right turn I've taken a million times over the past 4 years that's very wide and has huge visibility, and I would sometimes get on the gas a little in my B16-swapped CRX through the turn. I never went over the speed limit, and I only did it if there was absolutely no one else around. Being a FWD, the front tires would break free a little and it would make the turn a bit more fun. Well, before leaving work I decided it would be a good idea to turn off the traction control and try something similar in the FR-S. That was my first mistake.
FWD FAIL.. Honda guy tries to drive the FR-S like a CRX....disaster strikes...

Now accidents happen and it was just a matter of time before one wrecked but really, trying to slide a RWD car like its your old FWD car?

Old 06-16-12, 12:08 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
are the scion/subie tires run flats?
No, standard tires.
Old 06-16-12, 12:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
those tires are extremely predictable though... something grippier would let him go through at 1mph more but probably would go sidewise a lot faster too.

No. He got onto the gas halfway through the turn. Entry speed would still be 20mph whether his tires were gripper or not. It's the ability to hold grip during a turn that's different. Didn't someone say Toyota put on these tires so that it's easier to slide around to satisfy the drifters or whatever? Something along that line. Anyone who has driven a RWD car with not-so-stellar tires knows your rear end will slide out if you aren't kind to the throttle. I highly doubt anyone who does grip racing will find these tires spectacular.
Old 06-16-12, 03:30 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

No. He got onto the gas halfway through the turn. Entry speed would still be 20mph whether his tires were gripper or not. It's the ability to hold grip during a turn that's different. Didn't someone say Toyota put on these tires so that it's easier to slide around to satisfy the drifters or whatever? Something along that line. Anyone who has driven a RWD car with not-so-stellar tires knows your rear end will slide out if you aren't kind to the throttle. I highly doubt anyone who does grip racing will find these tires spectacular.
Precisely! I wonder if in subsequent years we'll see staggered wheel/tire setup to combat all these wannabe Initial D drivers.
Old 06-16-12, 03:40 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crash

http://jalopnik.com/5918932/the-wait...-crash-is-over
Old 06-16-12, 04:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

uh, no. Again, limit would be raised, but it seems he just smashed the gas pedal... with these tries, they are entirely predictable, meaning you get smooth transition and slides... with grippier tire you get more grip but they break fast and you might not be able to catch it. But the difference between g's that you can pull is not dramatic.

It doesnt matter for this situation though because he probably thought he was playing a game and not driving a real car.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!