Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-12, 11:36 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb AutoBlog

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but Subaru isn't offering any incentives on its BRZ after all. Company spokesman Michael McHale tells Autoblog that the $400 figure quoted in a recent USA Today article can be traced to an analyst's calculation of the value of the current Subaru 2.9% APR program. Subaru says the company committed to selling 6,000 BRZ units in the 1st year of production and it is already well on its way to hitting that figure.

As you may recall, USA Today reported Subaru began offering $400 incentives last month to help the BRZ keep pace with the lower-priced, less-equipped Scion FR-S. Comparing base model to base model, the FR-S is substantially less expensive, and Scion sold 2,684 FR-S models in June. That's considerably more than the 818 units Subaru managed to move during the same time period, but apparently Subaru's volume goals are more modest, perhaps because of capacity constraints.
Old 07-12-12, 07:55 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by Motor; 07-12-12 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-12-12, 09:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but Subaru isn't offering any incentives on its BRZ after all. Company spokesman Michael McHale tells Autoblog that the $400 figure quoted in a recent USA Today article can be traced to an analyst's calculation of the value of the current Subaru 2.9% APR program. Subaru says the company committed to selling 6,000 BRZ units in the 1st year of production and it is already well on its way to hitting that figure.

As you may recall, USA Today reported Subaru began offering $400 incentives last month to help the BRZ keep pace with the lower-priced, less-equipped Scion FR-S. Comparing base model to base model, the FR-S is substantially less expensive, and Scion sold 2,684 FR-S models in June. That's considerably more than the 818 units Subaru managed to move during the same time period, but apparently Subaru's volume goals are more modest, perhaps because of capacity constraints.
thats why I dont think of Autoblog as real journalists, because this was so blatantly obvious to anyone who even remotely follows auto industry.

You know the saying: Would you jump off the bridge if everyone did? AB sure would.
Old 07-12-12, 09:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

this was a very interesting comparison of two VERY different vehicles.

cliff notes:
fr-s - more fun, lighter, cheaper, cheap interior
gen coupe r spec - faster, heavier, more expensive, nicer interior
Old 07-12-12, 09:53 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
thats why I dont think of Autoblog as real journalists, because this was so blatantly obvious to anyone who even remotely follows auto industry.

You know the saying: Would you jump off the bridge if everyone did? AB sure would.
Haha indeed, that incentive simply didn't make sense just like I thought, though it has to be pointed out that it is the "journalists" at USA Today that Autoblog quoted from. Autoblog very rarely has original news to report. It mostly merely collects automotive-related news articles in one place (often haphazardly).

Last edited by ydooby; 07-12-12 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-12-12, 10:19 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
thats why I dont think of Autoblog as real journalists
Add Jalopnik to that list. They more often than not dismiss everything Toyota/Lexus/Scion as "beige."

But we're getting off topic now...
Old 07-12-12, 11:24 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

cliff notes:
No bias, but the fun to drive car is more appeaing to me. If I wanted faster heavier more expensive, i'd look at a luxury brand.
Old 07-12-12, 03:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

cliff notes:
"terminal brake fade after a lap or two, surprising with R-spec"
"surprised at how much understeer car has, wants to understeer off the line"
"turbo is peaky, narrow powerband"
"transmission is a little bit vague, from 2nd to 3rd i dont have confidence it goes through the gate"

but yeah.
Old 07-13-12, 01:26 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 07-13-12, 10:20 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought I'd share since most rarely visit the announcement forum. What a beautiful setup....egads

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...ix-teaser.html

Old 07-13-12, 10:23 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

BURNING THE MIDNIGHT OIL: THE 86X IS ALMOST THERE
Yesterday was a very long day. After flying into Norway from Tokyo it was straight to Fredric’s house just outside Oslo for a rendezvous with the soon to be completed 86X. Fredric and his crew have been working literally non stop for the last two and a half weeks putting together this impressive 2JZ-powered 86, which will be unveiled at Gatebil Rudskogen. After seeing all the weekly progress posts that Fredric has been posting up, I was really excited to see what this mean machine was looking like. Fredric, along with Mad Mike who had flown in earlier in the day, had taken the car to the sticker shop where the custom graphics would be applied. As ever when it comes to projects of this nature delays followed…

More pics at the source.

http://youtu.be/TekNLr7TkuY
Old 07-13-12, 10:57 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So I finally get to sit in one that belongs to the GM of the Toyota dealership and it instantly reminded me of a Mazda RX-8.

Here it is:

RX-8
Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!-w755ul.jpg

Scion FR-S
Old 07-13-12, 11:30 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

FR-S will be a fav for short track enthusiasts with it's Horsepower/weight ratio and decent price tag. I really don't care about interior style when it is just a fun car to drive, I will be paying attention to the road, not the amenities of the interior.
Old 07-14-12, 01:33 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 07-14-12, 05:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chikoo
So I finally get to sit in one that belongs to the GM of the Toyota dealership and it instantly reminded me of a Mazda RX-8.

Here it is:

RX-8

Scion FR-S
have you ever been in MR-S? FR-S looks like nicer MR-S interior... still very simple but with some nicer materials.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!