Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-09, 01:09 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I felt this was important in the press release..

Tada also said it gets a dedicated chassis, noting that “enthusiasts don't want a shared platform.”

Platform sharing is cheaper but it increases weight across all vehicles as sports cars share parts with SUVs etc...since this will have its own platform, it will be light.
I read that too and also felt it was important, not so much because I believe it will save weight, but more so because the car will have no excuses as we hear with other cars that platform share with sedans and SUVs. I hope you're right though and that does correlate into a lighter car. If this thing weighs as much as tC (~3000 lbs) I'm not so sure how great it'll be especially given it will be smaller.

This goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to what I heard that Toyota did have mules of a Supra/coupe based on the IS/GS chassis but they were unhappy with overall handling and felt it was too heavy.
How nice, so instead they gave us that IS-C thing because they weren't able to make a worthy coupe out of that platform... haha
Old 10-06-09, 01:11 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will probably start within $1k of where the genesis does, have very little options (maybe a technology and/or touring package) and nothing else. Wouldn't have it any other way.

A track edition would be a good idea though.

Putting this thing fully optioned over $26K fully optioned = fail. It's halfway defeating the purpose.
Old 10-06-09, 01:12 PM
LexFather

Imagine a few years ago the 138hp MR-2 was a 24k car...

Think I'm going to upgrade my Suburu fan status thanks Subie!!

Old 10-06-09, 01:13 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Looked at various car forums on the 'net, and even traditional anti-Toyota places are loving this car!

Originally Posted by dunnojack
as good as this car looks...... any toyota coupe project is destined to fail.

look at the celica and supra. toyota discontinued both either because they were not profitable, or something else.

unless they'll stick to it this time regardless of sales numbers...
Wow, you did a great job contradicting yourself!

If Toyota sticks to it, then it is NOT destined to fail at all. With Akio Toyoda running the company, and with the Toyoda family in general deeply dissapointed how the company has been run over these last number of years, I expect things to change for the better, and to stay that way long-term.
Old 10-06-09, 01:22 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks fantastic! If this is the production car disguised as a concept car, I'm in! (figuratively.. since I just bought a car so I won't be looking at one by the time it comes out).

I wonder if they'll have a lightweight version (no pwr win/lock/mirror).. you know.. Type R stuff in addition to the standard models that have A/C and cruise and all the other "luxury" stuff found in its price range.
Old 10-06-09, 01:23 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR_F1
It will probably start within $1k of where the genesis does, have very little options (maybe a technology and/or touring package) and nothing else. Wouldn't have it any other way.

A track edition would be a good idea though.

Putting this thing fully optioned over $26K fully optioned = fail. It's halfway defeating the purpose.
That's why I broke down my "dream packages" the way I did. If all you want is a base-level car for auto-X, track, or modifying for tha streetz, then the base trim is still under the magic $25K. With a theoretical Track package with nice brakes and seats, I think it would be well worth $27K. The Grand Touring package can be tacked on (I personally would), but people would do this knowing it would increase weight (decrease performance, however marginally), and basically be a bunch of nifty gadgetry that you really don't need to enjoy the car. Just injecting a bit of pure luxury into the mix.

As a side note, I'm glad the notion of this thing costing less than $20K is out the window. I'd hate to see this car in 2011 priced at $20K. It would probably make the Hyundai Elantra look like an LS460. Seriously, regardless of how much someone says they want it to cost $20K or even a bit less, there would have to be serious compromises made and I doubt anyone would be excited about the end product.
Old 10-06-09, 01:25 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If they decide offer two different engines, $26k(ish) for a little more power might not be so bad. It should still be cheaper than whatever alternatives there MAY be and there will also be the option for the engine with less HP.
Old 10-06-09, 01:28 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

It will probably start within $1k of where the genesis does
The Genesis does have turbo power, so it probably is necessary to undercut the Genesis in pricing. I do hope for a turbo STi version though.
Old 10-06-09, 01:29 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the Genesis coupe can pull off a $25k price tag, the FT-86 can do very well at $26k...
Old 10-06-09, 01:40 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Looks fantastic! If this is the production car disguised as a concept car, I'm in! (figuratively.. since I just bought a car so I won't be looking at one by the time it comes out).

I wonder if they'll have a lightweight version (no pwr win/lock/mirror).. you know.. Type R stuff in addition to the standard models that have A/C and cruise and all the other "luxury" stuff found in its price range.
If they would make a total stripper model available, it would be suicide to make it dealer-orderable for allocation. People wouldn't be impressed if they saw it on the lot. They could do what Mazda does with the Miata, make a "SV" version available with no A/C, manual everything, make it available only via special (customer) order.

Originally Posted by Nextourer

If they would make a total stripper model available, it would be suicide to make it dealer-orderable for allocation. People wouldn't be impressed if they saw it on the lot. They could do what Mazda does with the Miata, make a "SV" version available with no A/C, manual everything, make it available only via special (customer) order.

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
If they decide offer two different engines, $26k(ish) for a little more power might not be so bad. It should still be cheaper than whatever alternatives there MAY be and there will also be the option for the engine with less HP.
They won't do that. Too much cost and complexity from their production point of view. They'll let TRD or third-party tuners worry about power. They should be concerned with providing one well-rounded powerplant. Whatever that ends up being, it should run 0-60 in the 6-second range.

Also, not that I would be interested in an auto, but I wonder if they would offer an auto. I hope not. It wouldn't really make sense in this car. I wouldn't be interested in a DSG either, but it would make more sense from a performance standpoint. Although it would probably weigh more, and definitely add to the cost.
Old 10-06-09, 01:41 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Beauty + RWD + $20K + Toyo/Suba reliability... what can I say????

I love it.. in and out.
Old 10-06-09, 01:49 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Design analysis...very interesting: http://jalopnik.com/5375502/
Old 10-06-09, 01:50 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
If the Genesis coupe can pull off a $25k price tag, the FT-86 can do very well at $26k...
Yup. It's important for people to compare apples to apples and keep trims and equipment levels in perspective.

I obviously just made up pricing in my post, which I think is logical, and actually tracks some other cars out there pretty closely.

Someone might say, but at $29K, the Genesis coupe has a V6. So what? If the Toyotabaru comes with a high-output NA boxer as is expected, it's acceleration should be comparable to a V6 Genesis, but will of course out-handle it and probably get better MPG. Also, a high-output boxer in a small, lightweight coupe will surely be more entertaining than a relatively middle-of-the-road V6 in a relatively not-lightweight coupe. Also, in order to get a 2.0L NA boxer at or above 200HP, it will require some nifty technology and machining, which will make it more expensive than, say a Hyundai V6, which contains less technology and is made in far larger quantities.
Old 10-06-09, 01:51 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

GT5 footage

Sorry for posting this before. I didn't check the previous pages.
Old 10-06-09, 02:05 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

This would be nice to see...

Flat-4 1997 cc (308 PS / 411 Ib-ft) [Subaru EJ207]

As for weight it be interesting if it can be between 2600-2800 pounds.

That be some pretty nice numbers.

**** with these numbers if it happens. This thing would rip the Lotus Evora to shreds on the track.

Last edited by JessePS; 10-06-09 at 02:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!