Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-12, 12:30 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These comparisons with the Genesis and Veloster are ridiculous .

The Veloster shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the FR-S.

As for the Genesis, in the previously posted video comparison, it's clear that the Genesis is all about "paper specs" and it really underwhelms in the real world. Strong tendency to understeer, and near-terminal brake fade? There have been other reviews and comparisons that mention the Genesis brake fade and understeer, not just this one. All in all, that's disappointing and frankly embarrassing that RWD coupe performs so poorly when pushed. And on the topic of lap times, the FR-S comes with very basic tires compared to the Genesis. Put some top notch tires on the FR-S, and it will match or beat the Genesis on the track. That's not to mention the fun-to-drive advantage of the FR-S.
Old 08-08-12, 12:21 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

First Turbocharged Subaru BRZ Boosted To 278 Horsepower

First Turbocharged Subaru BRZ Boosted To 278 Horsepower
Benjamin Preston

Toledo, Ohio's Accelerated Performance created a stir last month with the first turbocharged BRZ. When they popped up on the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club forum last month, John Visconti had squeezed 54.5 extra horsepower out of the Subaru BRZ's stock 2-liter engine.

He's since upped the ante, raising the boost from 4 to 10 psi and jacking the power output to 278 whp. That's 117 hp over the stock 161 whp out put. Not too shabby.

On the forum, Visconti said the kit — Accelerated performance's BRZ-300 turbo setup — costs about $5,000. He also told forum commenters that A.P. is working on making bigger turbos work as well.

Using new EcuTek RaceRom software for the BRZ/FRS and an Omni 4 Bar MAP Sensor in conjunction with A.P.'s BRZ-300 turbo kit, Visconti clocked the custom BRZ's power output at 278 whp at 7,200 rpm. The car cranked 215 lb-ft of torque at 5,500 rpm; a 79 lb-ft boost over stock numbers.

Visconti told us peak horsepower was 286 on one run, but they "weren't looking for peak numbers — just reliability"

It sounds like he's still fiddling with it, but Accelerated Performance seems to be on the right track toward turning the BRZ into the nasty turbo street fighter Subaru's repeatedly said they're not going to build.
Old 08-08-12, 01:39 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats awesome!! First turbo'd one. Glad to see it : )
Old 08-08-12, 02:39 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

That's awesome but using ECUTEK is massive fail! Wish they had support from ECUFLash or COBB....
Old 08-09-12, 09:02 AM
LexFather

I believe there is a S/C FR-S running around now too, testing the kit..not sure of numbers.

Who else is getting one?

Old 08-09-12, 09:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

i am sure that by next year there will be at least 10 kits on sale... Hopefully TRD releases official S/C for it too.
Old 08-09-12, 01:45 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
i am sure that by next year there will be at least 10 kits on sale... Hopefully TRD releases official S/C for it too.
Hopefully someone makes a CARB legal kit!
Old 08-09-12, 02:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ST430
Hopefully someone makes a CARB legal kit!
TRD hopefully.
Old 08-10-12, 07:48 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure they will...there's also rumors on a turbo model being released, but thats speculation in my book as the exec at Subaru said they have no intention of making the BRZ a turbo model as they have the WRX STi for that. Also, Subaru and Toyota's venture on this car is specific to drivetrain...so whatever drivetrain is available for the BRZ is available for the FRS, and vice versa.

As far as the TRD S/C...it's a nice delaer upgrade, buit nothing that would intrigue me to pay the $5000 preimum on it. I'm more interested in aftermarket turbo kits, one specific to my liking is by AVO...and expected to cost about $3500 for everything!

AVO kit is running about 280hp/210tq on 8psi...and looks pretty under the car

Old 08-10-12, 08:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

custom turbo kits are definitely better choice overall BUT TRD S/C should be CARB legal and also offer full warranty, so it is not a bad option... It will probably make car faster than most people can handle :-)
Old 08-10-12, 08:33 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

custom turbo kits are definitely better choice overall BUT TRD S/C should be CARB legal and also offer full warranty, so it is not a bad option... It will probably make car faster than most people can handle :-)
with the power right now in them...you can lose the back end easily, so the power "fun factor" is there for most. for me, about 250hp/200tq to the wheels and i'm overly happy. low 12's for sure on slicks
Old 08-10-12, 10:07 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by baddis es
with the power right now in them...you can lose the back end easily, so the power "fun factor" is there for most. for me, about 250hp/200tq to the wheels and i'm overly happy. low 12's for sure on slicks
Given that the stock 1/4 mi seems to be very high 14's / low 15's area stock, you're going to need much more than +50 hp to run low 12's...I estimate at least 140 bhp before touching there.I ran a 11.8 on my old evo when it had "only" 400hp @ ~ 2950lbs and AWD to hook up low 60' times.
Old 08-12-12, 09:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

went to the FRS drive event yesterday with a couple friends near Reliant Stadium. Wow the car drives great, when you turn you dont even feel the inertia of the car. You just point it and it goes like a gokart. They had aftermarket Enkei wheels and Yokohama S Drive tires on the three cars so we were not on stock tires. The car is really low, Im 5'9" and I can put my elbow on the roof and lean on it as a rest. The roofline is close to my elbow if I stand next to it. The rep said when you sit down youre only about 9" off the pavement. If you look under the hood the boxer engine layout and height is very apparent compared to typical engine. It is extremely low. You can lean into the engine bay from the front of the car and easily reach the firewall. Doesnt feel like you are having to climb on top of the engine. Oil filter is right there in front of you and easily changeable

Me and my friends tried out the backseat, its a bit tight but surprising for a car this size. The rep also said the advertised mpg is about 34-35 mpg for the auto but some real world numbers are coming in and hitting 40 mpg. Steering and brakes were very responsive. It has a low diameter steering wheel only about 14.5" but its needed for quick and agile turning. I mainly drove it in automatic not the paddle shifters.

They wanted you to pre register but at the event they allowed walk-in and passer-bys. I was in a 2-3pm group, it was hot as hell outside and was sweating up a storm. A good amount of people showed up and everyone liked it . Probably had about 25 people in for our time slot. Pretty much everyone got to drive it twice.

Our only qualm was the lack of power. Drives great on a tight track but in real world driving going to need a little more power. I have an IS350 and friend has a 370Z so we are used having the power for merging and freeway driving here. The 2nd drivethrough we turned on the AC cuz it was so damn hot. Obviously the engine response was a lot weaker with the A/C one, but we were burning up.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 08-13-12 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-13-12, 07:26 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

legit stuff. Ecutek has been around for years reflashing suby ECU's
Old 08-13-12, 08:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
went to the FRS drive event yesterday with a couple friends near Reliant Stadium. Wow the car drives great, ...
thanks for awesome write up and pics. sounds like a great event, and an even better car!

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!