Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-09, 02:07 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think people may be jumping the gun by comparing this to the Genesis coupe, 370Z, Mustang, and RX8. Consider a few things:

1) Size- this thing is even smaller than a Scion tC. The above are basically midsize

2) Power- a base 4 cylinder engine puts the car closest to the Genesis but nowhere near the others.

3) Price- Toyota is trying to stay as close to $20K as possible and many of the others start in the mid $20K mark.

While it's all speculation, I think the closest competitor to this car that I have seen is the Honda Civic Si coupe. Yes I am sure that the Genesis will be cross shopped based on price and engines, but I really doubt that the Z and others will be, for all of the reasons I posted above. This car is SMALL and powered by a 4 cylinder. The others are 6 cylinder and much larger.

My point is that while they may be cross shopped to a degree, the Toyota is really in a different class than the others.
Old 10-06-09, 02:20 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I think people may be jumping the gun by comparing this to the Genesis coupe, 370Z, Mustang, and RX8. Consider a few things:

1) Size- this thing is even smaller than a Scion tC. The above are basically midsize

2) Power- a base 4 cylinder engine puts the car closest to the Genesis but nowhere near the others.

3) Price- Toyota is trying to stay as close to $20K as possible and many of the others start in the mid $20K mark.

While it's all speculation, I think the closest competitor to this car that I have seen is the Honda Civic Si coupe. Yes I am sure that the Genesis will be cross shopped based on price and engines, but I really doubt that the Z and others will be, for all of the reasons I posted above. This car is SMALL and powered by a 4 cylinder. The others are 6 cylinder and much larger.

My point is that while they may be cross shopped to a degree, the Toyota is really in a different class than the others.
I totally agree.

A RWD Honda Civic coupe/Kia Forte Koup alternative, or something that plugs the gap between the Mazda MX-5 Miata and the base Hyundai Genesis coupe are two possible ways to state where the FT-86 fits in.

As of now, it's accurate to say that, like the Lexus HS 250h, the production Toyota FT-86 will be by itself, in a class of one.
Old 10-06-09, 02:45 PM
LexFather

Design analysis...very interesting: http://jalopnik.com/5375502/
Thanks

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
Yup. It's important for people to compare apples to apples and keep trims and equipment levels in perspective.

I obviously just made up pricing in my post, which I think is logical, and actually tracks some other cars out there pretty closely.

Someone might say, but at $29K, the Genesis coupe has a V6. So what? If the Toyotabaru comes with a high-output NA boxer as is expected, it's acceleration should be comparable to a V6 Genesis, but will of course out-handle it and probably get better MPG. Also, a high-output boxer in a small, lightweight coupe will surely be more entertaining than a relatively middle-of-the-road V6 in a relatively not-lightweight coupe. Also, in order to get a 2.0L NA boxer at or above 200HP, it will require some nifty technology and machining, which will make it more expensive than, say a Hyundai V6, which contains less technology and is made in far larger quantities.
Welcome back

I want to remind people what helps the Genesis price is
1. Its shares its platform/engine with the sedan
2. The Korean won exhange rate

That said I still LOVE the Genesis coupe.

Old 10-06-09, 02:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
If they decide offer two different engines, $26k(ish) for a little more power might not be so bad. It should still be cheaper than whatever alternatives there MAY be and there will also be the option for the engine with less HP.
I have "heard" (like today) 2 engines.
1. Base 4 with around 170-180hp
2. Boxer engine with 250-280hp

Emphasis on keeping weight down

Old 10-06-09, 02:53 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have "heard" (like today) 2 engines.
1. Base 4 with around 170-180hp
2. Boxer engine with 250-280hp

Emphasis on keeping weight down
I hope that's true - #2 would be nice. Optioned out around $26k with option 2 being available would not be bad at all.

Funny thing is there has always been the WRX/STi vs Evo comparison, but now we might have FT-86 vs Genesis Coupe comparison, when at heart it's still may be WRX/STi vs Evo... haha
Old 10-06-09, 03:03 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

While it's all speculation, I think the closest competitor to this car that I have seen is the Honda Civic Si coupe.
Maybe a Lotus too...
Old 10-06-09, 03:05 PM
LexFather

Pray the yen gets more favorable in the future....seems everytime a Toyota coupe that kicks *** debuts, the yen decides to go to crap

Old 10-06-09, 03:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

13 pages later and over 2 years, do we know if this car is going to happen?
Old 10-06-09, 03:27 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
13 pages later and over 2 years, do we know if this car is going to happen?
You're still not sure? Obviously it's going to happen, Akio Toyoda has confirmed it more than once.
Old 10-06-09, 03:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
You're still not sure? Obviously it's going to happen, Akio Toyoda has confirmed it more than once.
Thanks, Mr Toyoda should know if anybody does.
Old 10-06-09, 03:30 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jruhi4
I totally agree.

A RWD Honda Civic coupe/Kia Forte Koup alternative, or something that plugs the gap between the Mazda MX-5 Miata and the base Hyundai Genesis coupe are two possible ways to state where the FT-86 fits in.

As of now, it's accurate to say that, like the Lexus HS 250h, the production Toyota FT-86 will be by itself, in a class of one.
Honda will NEVER go RWD - the NSX and S-series being very notable exceptions to the rule.
Old 10-06-09, 03:56 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
Yup. It's important for people to compare apples to apples and keep trims and equipment levels in perspective.

I obviously just made up pricing in my post, which I think is logical, and actually tracks some other cars out there pretty closely.

Someone might say, but at $29K, the Genesis coupe has a V6. So what? If the Toyotabaru comes with a high-output NA boxer as is expected, it's acceleration should be comparable to a V6 Genesis, but will of course out-handle it and probably get better MPG. Also, a high-output boxer in a small, lightweight coupe will surely be more entertaining than a relatively middle-of-the-road V6 in a relatively not-lightweight coupe. Also, in order to get a 2.0L NA boxer at or above 200HP, it will require some nifty technology and machining, which will make it more expensive than, say a Hyundai V6, which contains less technology and is made in far larger quantities.
At 29k the genesis has a 300+hp V6 that competes with the Nissan Z....
Old 10-06-09, 04:08 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

p.s.
Those of you fussing about a 2.0 boxer being able to make 200hp...

197hp.... NA

And btw, The Legacy 2.0R already has 187hp as well (@7100 rpm)
Old 10-06-09, 04:09 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

If you can't see well enough

Old 10-06-09, 04:13 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This better be like a hardtop S2000.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!